Time of day taking MCT Coconut Oil

(John B) #1

Is there a time of day that taking MCT oil should be avoided such as ingesting it too late in the evening versus the morning? I am wondering if this could be used as a meal replacement during fasting in the evenings. A little coconut oil in some water so the body isn’t starved of energy?

(Robin) #2

I put a bit of coconut oil in my coffee and hot tea all day long. (decaf past noon) have come to love the taste.

If you are new to this, I would not fast yet. Let your body adjust for the few months.

(Joey) #3

@John_B Greetings and welcome to the forum!

As @robintemplin note above, if just starting out on carb-restriction (keto), taking MCT seems to simply complicate matters without any benefit. Until your body has adapted to burning fat (dietary or adipose tissue storage) it seems unlikely the MCT is going to be bio-available for you anyhow.

Frankly, I’ve been on diligent keto WOE for 4 years and taking MCT as a supplement has never entered my mind. YMMV.

(Pete A) #4

Anytime its a modest proportion. I don’t think the time is something to fuss over.

Total I do 2 teaspoons if coconut oil, and a teaspoon of ghee.

In my Java.

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #5

I use it in ‘Fat Bombs’ … but with my meal. keeps me going hours.

Welcome to the Forums :blush:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

The point of fasting is to get the body to use its fat store. But if you’re new to keto, wait a while before trying fasting. Get used to this way of eating first.

Also, start with a small quantity of MCT oil and build up a tolerance. Otherwise, I see “disaster-pants” in your future, lol!

I used to have those bullet proof coffees instead of a brunch meal, when I was keto adapted.
It blew the head of me. If you didn’t know me you’d think I’d taken something.

I then moved onto using it with various experimentations/concoctions of matcha green tea; which may be documented on here somewhere.

Now? I still keep it, but then again I still have kept my dried pasta, flour, tinned cr4p etc., waiting for the apocalypse.
But no, I rarely use MCT now. Maybe I should? :thinking: