Tim Noakes Podcast

(ianrobo) #1

Just saw this drop into my list so can not wait to listen to it tomorrow.

However I would check on Tim’s twitter feed at the moment and there does seem to be a concerted attack by one or two on him questioning his nutrition expertise ??

It does seem since he won his case the pressure has increased and wonder if this is covered in this episode @carl @richard ?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

It makes sense that since they failed in one attempt, they’d try again, eh? Dr. Noakes has the credentials, the experience, and most importantly the data to shut them down, but I don’t think it’s a bad thing for authority to be questioned. If only people had devoted this kind of effort to questioning Ancel Keys fifty years ago!

(ianrobo) #3

oh he handles himself well and they get very aggressive towards him as the debate goes on. We all know proper RCT, double blinded studies are not available as no one will fund them. However he gets quoted back the studies most of which are nutrition diaries FFS !

Excellent podcast, have downloaded to another device for 4 hrs of travel tomorrow, so I can listen again. Picked up Daisy’so new podcast, just waiting for Megan’s

(Richard Morris) #5

It’s a good time to be a listener of podcasts :slight_smile:

I’m just about to hop on a plane to interview Harvard professor David Ludwig. Gonna listen to Tim Noakes on the journey :slight_smile:

Oh … we’re not worthy

(ianrobo) #6

yep @Richard great interview as requested and Tim confirmed my theory correct but to be fair I just proved what he always said ha ha

On a performance issue I think some carbs before events are beneficial as longa s your stomach is used to it but for others not too interested in overall performance then no need whatsoever for them.

(Sacha Beauregard) #8

Yeah, it was a great podcast! I wanted it to keep going! (Although, I’m a fan of 2hr+ podcasts so of course I’d say that.)

(Cywgdave) #9

Hey folks, just listened to the podcast, there is a study referenced at about 1:02, I can’t quite make out what it is, sounds like “Verta” but any google search I’ve done comes up with items that are obviously not the same thing. If anyone knows what the name of the study is I’d appreciate it.

Thanks,

Dave

(ianrobo) #10

Virta Dave, it is Steve Phinney’s and Jeff Volek’s company to try and tackle Diabetes by food etc and not drugs.

(Cywgdave) #11

OK, saw that, didn’t realize they were the ones publishing the study. I’ll keep my eyes open for it. Thanks!

(ianrobo) #12

and obviously Tim knows it will give good news but like any study lets keep an open mind on methodology etc … just because we may like it does not mean to say the method was correct. though I have to say this being a Phinney/Volek enterprise it is very unlikely to be in any way wrong !!

(Cywgdave) #13

So I did take a look at the VirtaHealth website, there is research available there already, given that it appears the interview with Prof. Noakes was approximately 2 weeks ago (based on some comment he made-I can’t remember exactly what it was) then this can’t be the research he is referring to. Any idea if there is more forthcoming? Either a different study/trial or some further update from the one they have published.

I’m waiting with bated breath, trying to figure out how to help my mother reverse her T2- any ammunition I can come up with showing that it can be done is useful.

EDIT: Never mind, read the 6 month update and saw the comments about how they look forward to “sharing our 1- and 2- year outcomes and learnings in the peer-reviewed literature as the
data become available”

Can’t wait, but I guess I’ll have to…

(ianrobo) #14

Yes just be patient but I am sure it will be the first proper peer reviewed study that shows T2D can be ‘cured’

One word for you @richard - MARMITE :smiley:

OK, a few more… Great show. I am a big fan of Tim Noakes, as you know, so I loved getting to tune in to him chatting with my fave keto guys.

(Athena) #16

The podcast isn’t working right for me. The audio is absent for the majority of it. I can only hear a bit at the beginning and a bit at the end. The middle is missing. :cry:

You’ve got your headphones plugged in right? :smiley:

Seriously though, that is strange. How do you listen to the podcast? Via which provider?

(Athena) #18

I’m not sure what you mean. I listen to it on my computer by going to the website.

(ianrobo) #19

do not use Apple’s podcasts absolutely shocking app, I use overcast now and it is great

Right - that was what I meant. Where and how you listen. Have you tried again? I have just checked and it is playing fine via the website - at least it is on my laptop. It is possible that there was an initial glitch that has since been ironed out.

(Athena) #21

This is weird. I tried again and it still didn’t work. So I opened up a different browser and it works! It just won’t work in Firefox. It works fine in Edge.