This week’s LLVLC episode with Mark Sisson

(What The Fast?!) #141

At this point, I’m going to try combining somewhat restricted fat calories with extended fasting and see how it goes.

(Rob) #142

Good luck. I know many people follow your experimentation with baited breath which shows you are not alone…

(What The Fast?!) #143

This.

I will say, when I started keto I assumed I had some metabolic derangement and insulin resistance, but if nothing else, I’ve learned that I don’t - and I wouldn’t have known that otherwise.

Have you seen much of Ted Naiman’s work? He suggests a more protein heavy approach when you have fat to lose and only when you hit your goal weight would you shift to a more traditional ketogenic diet.

Out of the 3 macronutrients he told me that fat is the least satiating, behind protein and then carbs. In a nutshell if you have fat to lose eating a bunch of added fats is a problem. I’ll be giving this a try to see what happens. In a way I think the success Carl is having with his new plateau-busting approach could be related.

Have you checked out Impulsive Keto (podcast and webpage)? If I’m recalling correctly, they support LCHF, moderate protein and IF, but discourage BPC/ adding tons of extra fat/ keto treats and endorse fasting only up to 36 (maybe 48 hours?) max. Seems to make sense if the “traditional keto” is not working for you. Everyone’s version of keto is different. Best wishes on your journey!

No matter how hard I search there always seems to be another solid keto podcast I’ve never heard of, good lookin out.

Here is the way I look at it. He has devoted his time and energy to promoting LCHF. Most other people do this as a hobby and have day jobs or do this as an adjunct to building their health care practices. I love Dr. Fung but I understand there is a huge backlog to see him professionally. Plus there would be no IDM program without the blog and videos.

I have been listening to his LLVLC backlog in the car. He has people on that I have never heard of but I am incredibly happy to hear from them. For example my dog was recently diagnosed with something. While her prognosis is uncertain, a day or two before she became ill I happened to have listened to Jimmy interview someone who talked about all the crap they put in pet foods. I immediately switched her to keto after we left the vet. While I have no idea what will happen tomorrow or next week or year, right now she is doing much better although she is also on conventional medicine.

Yesterday I listened to an interview with Cate Shanahan that I liked much better than her book which I started reading but put aside. There is a cost to this. He is a writer and speaker by trade, he has to support himself somehow. On an iphone you can easily fast forward through the commercials so I really do not mind them. I much prefer this to the DietDoctor membership model. While I realize $10 a month is not crazy and I am sure it is a great program, I only get to their site once or twice a month. Chris Masterjohn does the same commercials but no one seems to take that as a problem

@KetoLikeaLady given the amount of exercise you do, are you sure you are eating enough? I know you have tried everything but riding 100 miles a week is quite a bit (used to ride 30-40 on hills both days on the weekend and 10 - 20 into a headwind during the week, many years ago so I know). Curious, what speed and terrain do you do? I did find the faster I went the more I could eat or the faster I would lose weight (either on SAD or moderate carbs and moderate fat, protein whatever I felt like). Not sure this is helpful but hoping it will help somewhat

(What The Fast?!) #148

Yeah, I think he’s just not my cup of tea, and that’s okay. I’m not into his style or the jokes he makes. He also made some comments on an episode recently that really irked me about men being more competitive than women. I listen to some of his stuff when he has good guests on, I just don’t love his style.

On the calories thing, yes I definitely eat enough (but I certainly appreciate the sentiment). I used to track religiously but have let that go for sanity’s sake. I actually think I just need to eat less overall. If I’m fat adapted, my body should be able to go and get those extra cals from stored fat.

Right now I’m not riding as much (it’s cold), but now that it’s starting to warm, I’ll be ramping up the rides. I do a bit of climbing (there is not much flat land available here). A typical Saturday ride of about 32 miles has about 1600 feet of climbing.

Wow, that is quite a bit. where I live we have hills but not mountains! So you might go up at a 20 - 30 degree angle (I am terrible at math so guessing) for about .25 miles but then have a really nice downhill a few minutes later. Natural HIIT

(What The Fast?!) #150

Yeah I live near Red Rock in Las Vegas. Plus WIND!!
I just looked and it looks like my averages are lower than I thought. More like 50-70 miles a week, with some outliers around 85-100.

(Angelo Carrion) #151

One takeaway Sisson was stating to Jimmy is regarding exercise also and activity. It’s the one thing Jimmy does least and Mark knows if Jimmy exercises more he might do much better overall.

(Cathy) #152

Mark thinks he knows. I know that J.M. has done a ton of exercise in efforts to reduce his bulk.

I think there is a type of fat that is resistant to loss - no matter. It seems to me that it is part of the whole metabolic ‘disorder’ pathway and the longer a person has had that fat on their body, it seems that it becomes permanent. We all want to believe we have the answers but it just isn’t so.

(Rosemary Easter) #153

I am so glad you mentioned that MS used to not be keto friendly as I seem to remember that when I first tried the paleo diet it was because of MDA, I was suffering from IBS, pains etc. so was willing to try anything and that was when I first gave up grains. On his website (this was just over 5 years ago) was the first time I had ever heard of keto and he made it sound terribly complicated and really not something we needed to do so I was not interested but was quite surprised when he wrote The Keto Reset book which I have since read. I then joined the FB group pertaining to it but am very unsatisfied with the info they give out and it was only when I found 2ketodudes that things became clear to me.

I am not familiar with the Keto Reset Facebook group as I’m the only human without a FB account, but I’ve found the Primal Blueprint podcasts on Keto with Brad Kearns extremely informative and easy to listen to. I’d start with the Q&A episodes.

(Rosemary Easter) #155

I do listen to the podcasts but not overly impressed with some of their guests.

Agreed. I never listen to their guest-based podcasts. Just Brad’s or Mark’s Q&A’s or Facebook Lives.

(Angela) #157

Nope. If you stuck him in a locked hospital for 30 days with a controlled calorie deficit diet even Jimmy would lose.

(Cathy) #158

Nope. You don’t know that. Your ‘judgement’ is inaccurate on many levels. I don’t have the energy or the motivation to point out all the faults in your thinking except to say, you may benefit from doing some research in the area of calorie restriction and how flawed that concept is.

(ianrobo) #159

yeah correct that whole basis of the assumption is based on flawed and wrong science

(Angela) #160

So, if you locked Jimmy in a ward with less calories/an appropriate calorie restriction, which allowed him to burn his own body fat, nothing would happen? What would allow him to retain his weight then?