This video about "Unlocking the Keto Code" completely confuses me

My thoughts exactly! Couple years ago I heard him on some podcasts and bought Plant Paradox, that fixed it for me… No more Gundry!

He goes into the same Idiot pile with Berg and Fung for me.

(Alec) #22

I agree that Gundry and Berg are in that pile, but I don’t put Dr Fung in there… he has a style that sometimes grates, but in general, what he says seems true to me.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #23

Yes. It leads to fatty liver disease and is a mitochondrial toxin.

(Bob M) #24

I also still like Dr. Fung, though I don’t fast nearly as much as I used to.

I am in the same camp. I have read some of his books (library) and they actually seem researched. I agree that he is trying to set himself apart. I don’t have time to watch the video right now.

The sense that I got from his books is he believes in vegetables and low sugar fruits as long as they do not have soft internal seeds (no cucumber, tomato) and the polyphenols they contain. He is not big on protein or A1 dairy products but seems a fan of A2, goat and sheep products. He is against nightshades and lectins including gluten. He also focuses on pre and probiotics and the gut microbiome is important.

As for exogenous ketones, as @PaulL stated, people with dementia have anecdotally benefited from exogenous ketones and it certainly is easier to choke those down than to eat keto

A couple of months ago I tried Gundy’s diet after reading his book but trying to stay low carb and found it near impossible. The vegetables I like are the nightshades! I never really got there.

I personally like red wine and find it less triggering in terms of making me hungry than a lot of other alcohol. In general based on newer research, alcohol is not beneficial anyway

(B Creighton) #26

I don’t really seem to have much problem with lectins, but I do believe Gundry that some people do. I don’t eat a lot of salads, and basically stay away from spinach, opting for other greens. I do eat a kale salad a couple times per week, and use a homemade MCT/balsamic vinegar dressing on it. I don’t seem to have any thyroid issues though. I get a little radicchio in my kale salad, which is low oxalate and high luteolin.

My wife likes nightshades too, but I never have too much with the possible exception of potatoes - which now I eat rarely.
I eat a lot of cruciferous vegetables and asparagus, peas, and a few other beans/peas. I don’t limit my intake of non-starchy vegetables. I eat a variety of berries in my morning yogurt, and a small variety of other fruits such as bananas, red grapefruit, organic raisins, mangoes, and the occasional guava. I’ve never really had digestive issues or autoimmune issues I attribute to my diet, but have changed over the last 3 years to a low carb style with possible keto in the winter. If Dr Gundry doesn’t approve, tough cookies!! :cookie::cookie:

I try not to have raisins, mangos, guavas or grapefrutit, too much sugar for me. Dr G is also anti string beans. The main vegetables I enjoy are tomatoes, avocados (those are fine I know), string beans, peppers (love them!), eggplant (mostly in dishes, not alone), cucumbers, some lettuces (fine I know). I don’t mind asparagus or brussel sprouts (fine I know) but they have to be cooked. Same with mushrooms. Easily more than half the vegetables I enjoy are on his no list and the others have very specific time windows such as avocados and asparagus which does not work for me (they tend to rot in my house)

I don’t mind spinach but there is a whole negative spinach thyroid issue which is a problem for me as I have low thyroid for over 20 years

(B Creighton) #28

I eat a nut mix a few times per week, and like a little sweet fruit in it such as organic raisins or chopped dates. Raisins are little sugar bombs, but along with bananas are the main fruits I may get daily in some form. Besides berries, other fruits are less common in my diet, but I do use them for dessert a few times per week. The first year I switched from keto to somewhat low carb(eating a peanut butter, banana and raisin sandwich for breakfast most days), I still lost another 20 pounds over the next 2 months by walking. I don’t have too much issue with a little whole fruit in my diet as long as I eat it after a concentrated protein and with some fiber.

I’m guessing too much lectins for him? My wife and I eat them somewhat often.

I pretty much only like tomatoes if home grown, and plant ripened. I eat avocadoes in my smoothies, but tend not to eat them too much on my salads… I am not too familiar with thyroid issues of spinach, but have avoided spinach as it is high in oxalates and secondarily in phytates. Nevertheless, lettuces are only about half way down the scale. Cruciferous vegetables such as brussel sprouts and broccoli are somewhat goitrogenic, which is why I brought it up concerning thyroid issues, but I cook them, which kills about 90% of the goitrogens. I don’t cook the kale in my kale salads, but I generally don’t eat it more than 2-3x/wk, and like I’ve said, I don’t have thyroid issues. Still, it has far less oxalates and phytates than spinach.

I believe the long and short of it is that plants make lots of chemicals, which seems to be why most animals seem to specialize in them according to diet. I believe it is more likely people will have digestive issues with some plants than most meats or animal foods. Nevertheless, I have grown much more picky about my animal foods being fresh, minimally processed, and properly fed their natural diet. Different people seem to have different issues with different plant foods. I have always tried to eat a fairly broad variety of foods, but have found a few I don’t care for or seem to bother me a little to a lot. So, quite simply I avoid those. I have learned a lot more about the foods I eat though, so have shifted the plant foods I eat to get a maximal protein profile while shifting to organic for all the legumes and grains I eat - and other “dirty” crops such as celery. I now believe that is more important to my health than any lectins these plants may contain. However, I appreciate that some may have digestive issues where I do not seem to. All in all I like most of Dr Gundry’s advice, but have adopted my own habits accordningly.