This stuff is freaking awesome :)

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #1

I know, I know… if it gives you head aches, or stomach problems, don’t eat it. But it will NOT spike your blood sugar levels, it tastes great, and unlike the Splenda I’ve enjoyed for so long, it contains no maltodextrin, so it is truly ‘zero carbs’. Very inexpensive too, when you consider this 4oz bottle contains 3200 servings. Best of all, it actually tastes like real sugar… not like Stevia, or Xylitoll, or Erythritol etc. (and it wont kill your dog either) Or Aspartame… Acelfame Potassium which I reluctantly drink… just because so many food and beverage companies are retarded.

Interestingly, I also found pure sucralose powder. The drops seem more convenient, but if a person just really wanted it in dry form, for whatever reason, here it is:

(Susan) #2

How do you know that it will not spike your blood sugar levels? I thought all artificial sweeteners can do this and cause a weight loss stall.

It’s somewhat more complicated than that. If an artificial sweetener doesn’t “spike” blood glucose levels, it could have been because it prompted an insulin response (not good), which kept the blood sugar “down.” So, although it would appear that the sweetener didn’t spike blood sugar (true), it’s not due to a good reason necessarily.

(Parker the crazy crone lady) #4

I just did a quick search, and there are apparently studies showing a correlation between sucralose and an insulin response, plus something about the insulin dropping more slowly. More reading required to see exactly what’s going on.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #5

Personal experience and Internet research. Don’t believe the hype :wink:

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #6

I read that drinking too much water can kill you. So I’m going to stop drinking water :slight_smile: lol

In all seriousness, one can find studies all day long to both go with and against any idea under the sun.
As I recently said, I bet I can find a whole bunch of studies that say that the Keto WOE is terrible for you. So are you going to quit doing Keto ?

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #7

One can make these things as “complicated” or as “simple” as they want them to be :slight_smile: For me, its quite simple, sucralose tastes great, and doesn’t hurt me in any obvious way. Might it give me cancer in 10 or 20 years ? Sure. But I bet that’s not near as likely as the “Agent Orange” kind of garbage I worked with 30 years ago. Pretty surprising I haven’t developed cancer already.

(Parker the crazy crone lady) #8

Sure. As I said, it was a quick look at the search results, and that more research was needed (by me).

(Central Florida Bob ) #9

Just remember, the most downloaded paper in the history of science is “Why Most Published Research Findings Are False” There’s around a 70% chance that any paper you read is wrong (which I assume includes that paper as well).

I’m a strong believer that measurement is the essence of science, but we’re hamstrung by not having the ability to measure everything we want or with the accuracy and precision we want (which are two different things). If you measure your own blood sugar, and you’re recovering from insulin resistance, I think you’re getting a good proxy measurement. By definition, insulin resistance means insulin doesn’t affect your cells very strongly, so a sugar spike is more likely. What you want is minimal change in your sugar - up or down - after you consume the Splenda.

Personally, the only thing I have against erythritol is the $5 per pound price tag. From years past, I have a butt load of Equal (aspartame/acesulfame) packets around the house. At one packet per day, a couple of years worth.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #10

That study is not surprising to me. I think the biggest thing is bias. People will believe what they want to believe. Their are a LOT of people that base their decisions more on “feelings and emotions” than actual facts of the matter. A lot of people have a strong bias against artificial sweeteners because “it seems like” they might be bad for you. Not because “they are” bad for you.

My biggest problem with Erythitol is the name :slight_smile: lol …plus, sucralose just tastes so much like real sugar, and is cheap, and easy to find.

(Parker the crazy crone lady) #11

I actually use a blend of monkfruit and erythritol. Found it cheap at Grocery Outlet. I think it tastes good, and I don’t mind the hint of coolness. At this point in my progress, I’m not concerned about potential insulin spikes. I might change my mind.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #12

I’m curious about that stuff. What brand is it ?
Keep in mind, the liquid Sucralose I posted the link for is .5 cents (not 5 cents… 1/2 cent) per serving, and tastes very close to natural sugar.

(Parker the crazy crone lady) #13

It’s from Lakanto. I have the granulated version, and I also saw a bottle of the liquid at Grocery Outlet the other day. The granulated was about $4.99.

('Jackie P') #14

This was taken from “The Truth About Carbs” a BBC 1 Programme

Carbs and exercise

Some people believe that dietary carbs are vital for athletic performance and, as Xand points out, this serves the sports snacks and drinks industry very well. But interestingly, one may not have to actually swallow any carbs to receive a benefit. The work of Dr Howard Hurst, whom Xand pays a visit, has shown that simply swilling a carbohydrate solution around the mouth for ten seconds is enough to improve cycling performance. This is thought to occur through receptors in the mouth communicating with the brain to reduce perceived effort. This bizarre research suggests that it’s possible to get a performance benefit out of swilling and spitting out a sports drink, rather than taking in the sugar.

This is the cephalic response by which sweeteners are thought to work.

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #15

I’d say by doing this the body IS still taking in the sugar, though. Not recently (because I rarely have them these days), but I’ve been brought out of hypos by having glucose rubbed into the inside of my cheek. No swallowing required!

(KCKO, KCFO) #16

My liquid stevia tastes like chocolate, mint, or caramel. I do not do well with sucralose.

('Jackie P') #17

Yes @KetoSnaps you are right. We used to put glucose tablets in patients cheeks when they were hypoglycaemic.
It would be interesting to see If it worked with sweetener.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #18

If it doesn’t work by swallowing it, it’s not going to do anything putting it inside of your cheek. The video I posted shows the ones that might. But I don’t eat those anyway.

('Jackie P') #19

(Deborah ) #20

@FishChris I know this is an old post, but I’ve been wanting to reply to this for a while. Thanks so much for posting this! I ordered the drops and have been using them for about a week. Love them!! 2 drops sweetens a full glass of iced tea perfectly for me, and there is zero aftertaste. I’m a fan! :smiley: