This one might be a puzzle -- GKI between 3 and 6 for 3.5 weeks - no weight loss

(karen) #1

I have been doing Keto for 3 months - not long, I know - I lost 4 lbs between May 21 and June 4, then a pound came back (water, I assume). I don’t expect miracles, but I was hoping for slightly more. I just want to be sure there’s not something more I can do.

Here’s the story - I have been tracking calories and macros for the last 2 months consistently, as well as testing BG and ketones with the keto mojo. Based on a friend’s advice, I test 1x per day - around 4pm – about 3 or 4 hours after my first meal of the day. Here’s the interesting thing. So, calories measured via MyFitnessPal ranged daily from 1300 to 1500 (my goal is about 1450). Macros were set up for max 20g of carbs. I rarely hit my protein and fat goals for the day, but I came close most days. Carbs ranged from 18g per day to as much as 45g per day. AT THE SAME TIME, at my 4pm ketone tests, I was consistently at a GKI between 3 and 6, for 3.5 weeks. And, no weight loss during that time.

MY DIET AND EXERCISE: I am not eating breakfast, though I do have coffee with cream in the morning. I’m assuming this counts as a fast (ends up being about 17 to 18 hours) each day, as my first meal is around 12, but maybe not? I eat 3 times a day, though - noon, then snack at around 4 (usually walnuts, or coconut yogurt with chia seeds), and then dinner around 7. I have an alleged intolerance to eggs, dairy, peanuts and almonds. So, my diet consists mostly of avocado, bacon, kale, broccoli, salmon, arugula, red meat, olive oil, (and I do eat butter still), turkey breast, coconut yogurt, occasional berries, nuts and salmon (yes, I put that in twice because I’m eating like SO much salmon!) I did a week or two avoiding dairy completely, and nuts, but that made me completely miserable and did not seem to yield different results. Now the only dairy I do have is cream in my coffee and I cook with butter sometimes. I do have a drink every other day – 2 oz of gin over lots of ice with citrus, or 5oz red wine. I find if I don’t do that, I eat way more and am completely miserable. It makes me feel indulged and happy to have a drink. But maybe that’s the next thing that has to go, I don’t know. I began exercising again after having broken my tailbone in February. But I’m moving slowly back into it – yoga, spinning (very little), pilates, weight training – about 3 times a week.

More info: I’m hypothyroid (Hashimoto’s) and gluten intolerant. So have not eaten wheat gluten for maybe a decade. I was always at the high end of normal weight for my height and age, but never overweight, then slowly started gaining in my 30’s (mostly with having kids, but not totally). I was always active and did sprint distance triathlons, weight training, etc. But consistently overweight in my 30’s with slow gain over the years. In the last 2 years I have had 2 broken bones (food and tailbone), so have been less active than I’d like. I’m about to turn 50, and am about 60 lbs over weight. I assume insulin resistance, given all of this. But still find the fact that I can demonstrate that I was in ketosis for a few weeks at least with no change in weight to be a bit surprising.

What’s going on, do you think??!! Thanks VERY much for your help.

Karen

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

I assume you are still menstruating? Women’s hormones have a large effect on weight loss. Furthermore, many women experience a period of no apparent effect, before weight loss begins. We speculate that the body is healing and re-regulating hormones during this time.

Another possibility is that you have been putting on muscle and increasing bone density, enough to balance the weight loss from fat. The sign of this would be that your clothing is looser, even though your poundage hasn’t changed.

Since a number of women on these forums have reported that it took months before they started losing weight, my advice would be to give the ketogenic diet another two or three months before giving up on it.

In the meantime, some things you can try are the following:

1. Scrutinize your food for what we call “hidden carbs.” In the U.S., if the manufacturer properly manipulates the serving size, it is legal for the nutrition panel to say 0 g of sugar, even though there is sugar in the product. Perusing the list of ingredients will give away this scam. In such cases, I assume that the amount of sugar per serving is 0.49999999999 g. If the nutrition label says “under 1 g,” I assume 0.9999999999 g / serving.

2. Count total carbohydrate consumption, not net. In North America, the total amount of carbohydrate per serving is shown on the nutrition label; in most other countries, the amount shown is the net carbohydrate, and the fiber must be added back in. If you keep your total carbohydrate under 20 g/day, you are sure to be in ketosis.

3. Eat abundantly, don’t count calories. Paradoxically, if we restrict our caloric intake, our body reduces its energy expenditure to compensate, and hangs on to its store of fat. This is designed to get us safely through the “famine” and is true even when we are on a low-carb diet. If we give the body abundant calories, however, it increases the metabolism and starts burning off excess fat. So eat when hungry, continue eating till you stop being hungry, and stop. Don’t eat until you are hungry again. At first, this may seem like an awful lot of food, but your satiety signaling will quickly re-establish itself, and your appetite will drop.

4. Exercising will not cause you to lose weight, but it is healthy for you, if you have the energy and interest for it. It does increase the metabolism, and it improves the health of our mitochondria. If you feel the urge to exercise, indulge it.

(karen) #3

thanks very much. I actually stopped getting my period already - early, I know. So, I’m sure this has an effect.

I only eat whole foods, so I don’t think hidden carbs are an issue for me, and I am definitely counting total carbs.

So, you think I should hold off on fasting? even the short fasts I do by not eating breakfast (I mean, sometimes I’m just not hungry for breakfast, but other times I’m definitely hungry and avoiding eating!)?

I planned to stick with keto through September. But I did fall off the wagon. Got discouraged! I’m back on it.

(Ken) #4

Have you measured? It may be a better way to track progress. Did you take before pictures to have something to compare to? How about a DEXA scan? Happen to have had one done before you started? The scale can always lie, for a wide variety of reasons not connected to body fat.

I’d be lipolytic for a good year in order to see results. Just to make sure.

Don’t chase ketones, just keep carbs low and only eat if hungry.

Hi Karen, I applaud you for continuing your journey even though you haven’t seen the hoped for losses - I experienced the same thing. I seem to be the exception to the rule around here, 38 yrs, female, had over 70+lbs to lose, did IF 16:8, stayed under 20 carbs and lost almost nothing in 3.5 mo. I definitely have IR, suspect strongly thyroid issues that have never been treated (despite nodes/growths and ridiculous symptoms). Around 3.5 mo just a couple of weeks ago, I finally started water fasting, doing 24hrs to 88 hrs so far at a time and am losing weight for the first time since adopting Keto WOE. I so far, am only losing when fasting, but am seeing smaller and smaller refeeding gains each time, and am down a solid 9lbs now. I would concentrate on being happily fat adapted before fasting, because it will make fasting easier most likely, however, my personal opinion due to my unique experience, is if you feel like trying short fasts to see how your body reacts, go for it :blush:

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #6

When you say you rarely hit your protein and fat goals are you saying that you are under on both?

First, focus on keeping carbs under 20g, since you said sometimes you go to 45g.

Second, eat enough fat so that you aren’t hungry, and make sure you are getting enough protein.

Third, don’t restrict calories.

It’s also helpful to us if you tell us the actual macros you are aiming for.

GKI isn’t everything for most people. The big thing is to keep glucose low.

(Susan) #7

I found out early on if I did IF I lost weight a lot better.

I need to not eat for 18 hours, eat for 6 at least to see any results. I do lunch and supper (with no snacks between) or the days I do OMAD (one meal a day) I do 23 hours no eating, and 1 hour in which I eat and have some fat bombs for desert, then fast for another 23 hours. I am trying to do this on a more consistent basis lately. (Today I was not able to so had food at lunch and supper).

I would try to do a 18/6 without calories. Having cream in your coffee makes your body have calories, so it is not a real fast. When you fast, it is meant to be no calories.

When we stall, and don’t lose any weight for a while, many of us try to do Fasts (your body will build up the ability to do this longer over time). I did 3 -24 hour ones before I tried my 2 -48 hour ones, and my next goal is a 72 hour one. I wanted to do that this week but things are rather hectic around here atm so I will have to do it next week instead, but will be able to do OMAD all week still =).

(karen) #8

Thanks. I admit I’m dreading fasting. But that may be the thing. Will make sure I’m fat adapted and 100% keto before I give it a go.

(karen) #9

What’s lipolytic? I think my clothes are a tad looser but not sure. I know there are lots of different ways to evaluate progress. But it’s frustrating to hear I shouldn’t look at GKI. I feel like I’m getting a lot of conflicting advice…?

(karen) #10

Also what is a DEXA scam?

(karen) #11

So even though I’m well into ketosis according to my GKI, I should reduce carbs more?

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #12

Just keep carbs under 20g.
GKI has its place, but its not for everyone. People who are trying for therapeutic ketosis, like for treatment of cancer or epilepsy, or other conditions want to go for low GKIs, but not everyone needs to track it.

a DEXA scan is a type of x-ray scan that will determine body composition: body fat, bone mass, lean mass, etc.