This is crazy - hair color

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #1

I mentioned this maybe a year ago when I saw a little hair color restoration. But check out the progress. I used to be 100% gray. I started going bald in my 20s at the same time my BP was going up. And the hair turned gray post hair lost.

But now some of the color is really coming back.

(Windmill Tilter) #2

Whoa! It’s like you’ve been aging in reverse since you started those Body by Science workouts along with fasting and keto. Congrats! :+1: :+1: :+1:

If you grew the beard out again and it turned out to be that dark it would be pretty epic BTW…

(Doug) #3

Eric, that’s friggin’ wild. :slightly_smiling_face:

(Bunny) #4

Anagen stage of hair growth is when pigmentation happens by melanosomes in the epidermis but as we get older sunlight causes the melanin to recede down the hair shaft and into the epidermis to protect the skin (melanoma cancer and glycation from dietary sugar) from ultra violet radiation, that is the real reason hair goes grey besides the hydrogen peroxide catalase (Glutathione, Super Oxide Dismutase(SOD), and Catalase) explanation on aging.

Hair is photo sensitive to sunlight like a Polar Bear to store heat from ultra violet radiation?

If you can keep onion juice (catalase) on your scalp or skin it will neutralize hydrogen peroxide and hair returns to its original color.

image link
image link image link

”…The process of hair growth has three phases:

• Anagen: This is the active growth stage of the hair fiber and can last from 2- 7 years. At any given moment 80-85% of our hair is in the anagen phase.
  • Catagen: Sometimes referred to as the transitional phase, which is when hair growth begins to “shut down” and stop activity. It generally lasts 10- 20 days.
  • Telogen: This occurs when hair growth is completely at rest and the hair fiber falls out. At any given time, 10-15 % of our hair is in the telogen phase, which generally lasts 100 days for scalp hair. After the telogen phase, the hair growth process starts over again to the anagen phase. …” …More

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #5

My hair might look better but I’d be shunned in meetings. :wink:

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #6

I posted about this on twitter and my feed exploded with comments including others seeing improvement but not a complete return to original hair color.

This coincides with a reduction in pre-cancer cells on my head. I have to believe that some of the scalp improvements are a reduction of advanced glycation end products. @atomicspacebunny I think you told me about this originally.

(Jane) #7

My hair is darker with much fewer strands of gray after 2 years of keto. I am 61 and do not dye my hair so you can see from my profile pic what I mean!

(Bunny) #8

Yes I remember that and how AGE’s are formed:

image image link

[1] “…A growing body of evidence suggests that the interaction of glyceraldehyde-derived AGEs (Glycer-AGEs), but not glucose-derived AGEs (Glc-AGEs), with RAGE elicits oxidative stress generation in numerous types of cells (vascular wall cells, mesangial cells, Schwann cells, and cortical neurons), all of which could contribute to the pathological changes seen in diabetic vascular complications of Alzheimer’s disease [10–13]. We have recently found that Glycer-AGEs stimulated the growth and migration of cultured human melanoma cells and that anti-RAGE antibodies inhibited the tumor formation and lung metastasis of melanoma cell xenografts and subsequently improved survival in athymic mice [14]. However, the effects of Glycer-AGEs on other cancer cells remains poorly understood, and the molecular mechanisms behind their effects have not been clarified. In the present study, we examined the effects of Glycer-AGEs on cultured human lung adenocarcinoma A549 cells and showed that Glycer-AGEs enhanced their malignancy rather than their proliferation. …” …More

[2] “…There is accumulating evidence that engagement of RAGE with various ligands elicits oxidative stress generation and subsequently activates the RAGE downstream pathway in the liver, thereby contributing to the development and progression of numerous types of hepatic disorders. …” …More

[3] image Fig. 1. Formation of advanced glycation end products in vivo. Endogenous formation of advanced glycation end products has been described by three different paths in vivo: the non-enzymatic Maillard reaction, the Polyol-Pathway and lipid peroxidation. During all three reactions, formation of AGEs occurs over formation of reactive carbonyl compounds, such as glyoxal, methylglyoxal and 3-desoxyglucoson. If detoxification is impaired, they are able to react further until the formation of irreversible AGEs …” …More

[4] “…Many people will be familiar with the fact that variation in red blood cell turnover confounds this measurement. Less well known is that variations in the deglycating enzyme fructosamine 3-kinase (FN3K) also confound the measurement. Counter-intuitively, if you have a higher rate of this deglycating enzyme but a lower rate of downstream metabolism of 3-deoxyglucosone, your lower Hba1c could actually mean MORE glycation. I
conclude that Hba1c is a useful test, but only in the context of a bigger picture put together with more information. …” …More

[5] Fructose causes endothelial cell damage via activation of advanced glycation end products–receptor system

[6] Evidence That Differences in Fructosamine-3-Kinase Activity May Be Associated With the Glycation Gap in Human Diabetes

[7] Level of Glycation Gap in a Healthy Subject: Conclusions: In considering the values GG in the study group, particular significance should be attributed to a progressive increase of GG with advancing age. Elderly people who are at risk of developing diabetes, or who have already developed the disease, may not exhibit the classic symptoms expected. Age-related changes can mean that some symptoms will be masked, or more dificult to spot. It is worth pointing out that HbA(1C) together with GG must be taken into account in the correct interpretation of the glycation processes. …More

[8] “…Animal-derived foods that are high in fat and protein are generally AGE-rich and are prone to further AGE formation during cooking.[3] However, only low molecular weight AGEs are absorbed through diet, and vegetarians have been found to have higher concentrations of overall AGEs compared to non-vegetarians.[4] Therefore it is unclear whether dietary AGEs contribute to disease and aging, or whether only endogenous AGEs (those produced in the body) matter.[5] This does not free diet from potentially negatively influencing AGE, but implicates dietary AGE may be less important than other aspects of diet that lead to elevated blood sugar levels and formation of AGEs.[4][5] …” …More

Hot darn you are a new posterchild for this way of life :slight_smile: Love it!!
Carnivore claims are out there in the realm saying that gray hair can change back…and here you are sporting that claim into reality. So cool. You are very close to zero carb right? I think I remember you mentioning that :slight_smile: But super happy for your great results and sharing your progress!!! and if hair is doing that, imagine the gains inside your very cells, how the body is healing! Super great!

now that is cool!!! I’m about to turn 40 and have zero gray hairs yet… I truly believe it has everything to do with keto-eating!

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #11

I’m pretty excited about this because as you say:

Not carnivore but some days zero carbs. Most days <10g. Olives, carbs in cheese or HWC, avocado or a pickle. I say I’m “carnivore adjacent”.

Extremely limited salads. Low oxalate food when I do veggies. Some broccoli or green beans but <1 wk.

I do eat sauerkraut several times a week but just a tablespoon for k2. I’m told it has 0 carbs. Some peppers where I eat my wife’s cooking. But increasingly I want ground beef or stinky fish and bacon.

I used to have noticable grays on the sides of my head a couple years ago, had to regularly have the wife pluck them out. Couldn’t even tell you last time that had to happen. Then I learned about gray reversal and even preventing them by supplementing with Fo-Ti, have been doing it ever since.

That’s so neat! I found that at the beginning, too, but I also found that my hair started falling out in the back. It was weird because I have very thick hair. I was told that happens anytime you lose weight. I didn’t lose a ton or have a ton to lose (15 lbs.) but I guess it was fast.