This can’t be a coincidence

Today I went to Costco to stock up on the bare essentials: macadamia nuts and Kerrygold butter. After wandering around for 15 minutes I asked an employee and discovered they had sold out of macadamia nuts. Bummed I went to grab the next thing on my list and I kid you not they were down to maybe 15-20 boxes of Kerrygold left on the shelf. There has to be a keto effect happening in these places, lately I’ve been finding stores are sold out of cauliflower also.

Ultimately I got one of the two things I went to Costco for, yet somehow I spent $133. If anyone can explain how that always happens I’m all ears.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

I’m guessing that it’s because they charge $6.65 per box of Kerrygold? :grin:

Your clever math is not lost on me sir, well done lol

(Carpe salata!) #4

19 boxes and some bacon?

(Sheri Knauer) #5

The same phenomena happens to me too when I go to costco. I’ll have 2 things on my list and end up with a cart full and over $100 spent. I think when you walk through those big doors, you enter an alternate universe or something…

(Jennifer) #6

Same here - I have a hard time getting out of Costco for less than $200…

(Susan) #7

The last two trips I’ve made to Sam’s (wish we had Costco also, maybe someday) there has been one lone tub of Kerrygold on the shelf. Didn’t see an employee to ask if it’s a supplier problem or what but thought that was interesting as well as disturbing…that delicious butter is one of my staples! And yes, I also spent around ~110 dollars each trip :slight_smile: when butter was one of three items on my list – HWC & pistachios were the others…

(jketoscribe) #8

Ever see Men in Black? Remember those memory wiping pens they had (my favorite ever ad for a movie was them clicking the pens at the viewers and then urging people to see the movie “again for the first time”–LOL!)

So when you enter Costco and show them your membership card, they click the thing that looks like a counter. Actually is a hypnotic device that instructs you to buy things you didn’t come for. Works every time.

Back in the diaper and formula days I had Costco down. I could enter, get my case of diapers and my baby formula and get immediately into line. No browsing, no tasting, nada. It still took 20 minutes but I used to leave with exactly what I came for and no more. I’m guessing sometime after that (my youngest has been out of diapers for 12 years) is when they started using the hypnotic clickers. :rofl:

(Crippie) #9

Tell me about it! i went to Costco yesterday for 1 thing, a box of baby formula that runs $32. yet somehow my checkout was $343.58… How does that always happen!!!

He swears a lot and the audio is bad but this is pretty damn funny:

(Kate) #11

Not just happening in Costco. I have noticed lots of Keto foods that were easy before are now sometimes out and I have to substitute (I live in Australia). I am more annoyed at things like butter being more expensive though. It has gone up so much lately. I guess that is the coat of everyone getting better food and health though.

I remember maybe 10 years ago reading about how the Swiss dairy industry was all but dying off due to dwindling demand and market saturation. My how times have changed. It’s just a matter of time before things bounce back and supply increases. I feel like I am approaching the upper limit of butter I can/want to consume and I have to say the cost isn’t as bad as I was expecting. Even someone who goes berserk on butter might eat what $30-$40 dollars worth per month? That total is dwarfed by what most of us used to spend on carbage I bet.

(Crow T. Robot) #13

I used to spend that much on beer alone in a month.

(Kate) #14

My family eats about a 500g/1 lb block per week sometimes more. It used to be $2.70 for that block and now 4.85. I just hope some is flowing through to farmers and not just staying with the company selling it.

(Marshall Stary) #15

I can still find Kerry-Gold for around $2.88 at Walmart in my area. My wife doesn’t do Keto (yet, I’m slowly working on her) and did not like Kerry-Gold at first but has come around to liking it. And since she does the shopping most of the time I don’t have to worry about making side trips to the store to pick up butter.

(Michelle Curtis Pippin) #16

I believe it! Hypnotic clickers- Hahaha!

(Kate) #17

I shouldn’t have complained above about paying $4.85 lb/500g. Our homebrand has had 2 more hikes since then and is now $5.70 lb/500g. Sigh. Our Kerry gold in the supermarkets in Australia for $6 a stick for 1/2 lb/250g. Way too expensive for me when we cook and eat so much of it.