Third week - barely lost any weight/inches?

(Natalie Cee) #1

Hi all!
I’m a Keto newbie - just started my third week and not super happy with the results so far.
I don’t know if my expectations were too high, but here’s the deal:

Starting weight: unknown but probably between 235-240
Height: 5’6.
Weight after second week: 234.
Measurements: lost just an inch altogether after my second week.
Calorie intake: I have never gone over 30 net carbs per day, if anything I may have gone over 20 net carbs once or twice, my keto strips are always positive, and I eat no more than 1600 calories a day.

I may not be drinking enough water, but in the end, with my calorie intake being reduced and my macros being above 75% fat - shouldnt I still be losing more than that?

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks all!

not sure the calorie reduction is helping. but without a list of everything you have eaten hard to tell

(Natalie Cee) #3

Oh boy - steak, eggs, chicken, cheese, lettuce, cauliflower, mushrooms, butter, cream cheese, cream, etc. I’ll have diet pepsi once in a while?

I track everything in Myfitnesspal so I’m not missing any hidden carbs or anything!
Makes no sense :frowning:

(Ron) #4

Read this thread-

not seeing much fat on that list, and some do not react well to dairy

(LeeAnn Brooks) #6

It’s better to give a typical daily meal plan rather than a random list of foods you eat.
What are you having for your meals? How are they spaced apart? Are you snacking, even if it’s Keto food?

(Natalie Cee) #7

That was a great post! Thanks so much for sharing! :slight_smile:
I’ve been reading constantly (before and since I started) and that is probably the most encouraging thing I’ve read so far!

(Natalie Cee) #8

@Anniegirl9 thanks to you both for replying!

Alley, I promise you I hit my fats - I track on myfitnesspal religiously.
Annie, I normally dont have breakfast as I’m doing intermittent fasting on most days, giving myself an 8-9 hour window to eat. Most times I’ll have cauliflower mashed with butter and cream with whatever meat I’ve made whether it be steak, chicken, sausage, etc. That’s usually one of my meals. Other meal is sometimes eggs, cooked in butter, with cheese and/or avocado, mushrooms. I’ve made the microwave keto english muffin recipe with coconut flour a few times, and I’ve made ketoconnect’s lava cake twice with Truvia. Have had SF Jello maybe 3 times in 2 weeks.
I’ll add spicy mayo to some meals if I havent hit my fats. Again though, all my macros are tracked and I count them ALL so even with the carbs in the sausage or eggs, or cream - I don’t go over 20 net carbs.

After reading that post that Ron shared, I guess I’m taking more time to “heal” - I’m obviously not giving up, but glad to know other people have taken longer also!

(Michelle) #9

I bet you are just in a healing time. We are women with cyclic hormones. If your starting weight was 240, you could be down 6 lbs!

I started at about your weight and height almost two months ago. I carry my fat on my butt, hips, and thighs. I know it will come off slowly. However I am sleeping better, feel more calm, rarely hungry, and when I choose to work out I have more endurance. I trust that the scale will eventually start moving.

(Natalie Cee) #10

Oh hello fellow Butt/Hip/Thigh woman!

Same here - although at this weight, I now also have a belly, which I never had in my life. I guess there was no more room to gain on my butt lol

How much are you down now, after two months??

(Consensus is Politics) #11

Just as important as what you it is when you eat. Do t let the term intermittent fasting throw you. Intermittent fasting is basically what you are doing between meals. What you want to do is make that time frame as long as possible.

You will see posts here saying things like, “I’m doing a 20/4 IF” or “a 18/6 IF”. What that’s referring to is a short time period of eating, let’s say 6 hours, say from 9 am until 3 pm. And the next 18 hours being fasted.

One of the biggest reasons for not losing weight, is eating too often, not eating too much. When you eat, insulin goes up. Insulin will cause you to store fat. It will also prevent fat burning. So the more often you eat (or drink almost any sweet drink, even diet) the more often you will have raised levels of insulin.

By keeping insulin lowered for more hours that it’s raised, you are almost always going to lose weight.

Then there’s making sure you are eating enough to lose weight. Reduction of calories really isn’t going to help, unless you seriously reduce calories. As in fasting. If you normall eat 2,000 calories a day, and reduce to 1500 calories, you most likely won’t lose weight. Your body will simply try to maintain its current weight by adjusting its metabolism. Took me a while to wrap my head around that one. I was ingrained in the thought of input/output. Move more eat less. Turns out that line of thinking is nearly irrelevant. It might help a small amount, but not enough to say it’s working.

(Natalie Cee) #12

Oh - I didnt know that!
Well, this morning I had a coffee with a tablespoon each of MCT oil and cream, and also about 700ml of water with a tablespoon each of ACV and lemon.

I have not eaten or drank anything else (other than plain water) since then and it’s now 5PM here. I wouldnt have been able to last this long if I didnt have those drinks this morning though. Normally, I wont eat or drink anything until 1:30PM, have lunch, then dinner, and then not eat past 8-9:30PM.

Will the drinks bring my insulin up? If not, I should be okay to fast longer!

(Michelle) #13

Ha! I was getting a bit of a belly as well, but my last two babies were late in life so that contributed. I am down 18 pounds. My butt/hip/thighs haven’t changed but that belly has definitely gone down as well as some weight I had put on in my face. I haven’t lost anything at all in the past two weeks, but I know healing is happening. I have PCOS and know that I have a lot of hormonal stuff that needs fixing.

Personally I’d lay off the diet soda. It’s been a bit so I can’t link it sorry, but a couple years ago I was reading that any carbonated drink ends up with some chemical reaction between your body and the carbonation that creats carbs or fat even if diet. If the former no bueno. If the latter guess ok on the diet, but it’s still more you’ll have to burn off.

(Consensus is Politics) #15

I eat roughly 2,000 calories a day, +/- 500. My exercise level is extremely low. Currently my exercise consists of painting the house. Taping the trim, painting the walls, fixing minor drywall issues. I get maybe one room done a day, sometimes over three days. Very low impact, very low stress, non aerobic. Not enough work to be called exercise. Very sedentary. According to my iPhone I get maybe 2,000 to 5,000 steps per day. As high as 10,000 steps maybe twice a month.

I eat one meal a day. I sometimes make that meal last over a two or three hour period, as it is fairly large. For instance, yesterday I had 4 bacon wrapped philly cheese jalapeño stuffed chicken thighs. Roughly 300 calories each.

My coffee is a 500 ml cup with 1/2 cup of HWC, 1 tblsp of butter, 2 tblsp of coconut oil. Roughly 500 calories.

I’ve noticed during the times when my eating is a bit more calorie light, under 1500 thereabouts, I don’t lose weight. But if I keep my intake up, I see a sudden drop in weight. It’s a seesaw. Right now I’m bouncing between 188 pounds and 195 pounds. I started out at 245 in Aug 2017 when I was dx with T2DM. Lost 40 pounds in 14 days when I started keto. That’s not a typo. Forty pounds in two weeks. :sunglasses:

I saw a neighbor the other day. She said I heard you were sick with diabetes. But you look so good! :cowboy_hat_face:

Give it time. I didn’t even really become fat adapted until about three and a half months in. After that everything changed. I gained energy and clarity and dropped weight steadily. Even if it is just one or two pounds a week. Stick with it!

(Raj Seth) #17

That just can not happen.

(Natalie Cee) #18

I thought so too - I follow a few Keto “influencers” on social media who all drink diet sodas no problem, so I was under the impression it was ok!