Thinking of eating too much fats

fats

(ryanbro) #1

Hello guys, i started the keto diet 3 days ago… and when i read on the internet how to increase the calories from fats, people just wrote to increase the amount of oils (coconut oil, olive oil, butter.) but now when im coocking an omelet with 1 tsp of olive oil/butter.coconut oil, it looks like its really too much.
and im wondering if thats the way to increase the calories that will come from fat or its wrong to do so.

Thank you for your answer

(Allie) #2

Better, and tastier, to blend butter into the eggs you’re making the omelette with. 1tsp of oil is nothing really. It can take some people time to break free from past conditioning relating to dietary fats.

(ryanbro) #4

Yeah but isn’t it consist too much of trans fat which can cause to high cholesterol,heat diseases, gaining fat instead of losing?

(Deborah ) #5

1 tsp. is a really small amount. I use at least a tablespoon of butter when I cook an omelet. I also like to cook a few slices of bacon, and then scramble a few eggs in the bacon fat in the pan. Eggs are very good at soaking up fat. :slight_smile: Top them off with some grated cheese, and that’s a meal I love. Don’t fear the fat! :smile: (Sometimes a difficult concept to get used to, I know.)

(Candy Lind) #6

None of the fats you listed have trans fats. Saturated fats have been proven to NOT contribute to high cholesterol, CAD or CHD. These fats are better for you than corn, soybean, canola, and the other “engineered” oils that big food conglomerates invented and want you to think are healthy. Trust the keto process and you WILL lose weight, but more important, you will become healthy again.

Don’t fear the fat! KCKO.

I do not think that oils (and other processed foods) are ideal for optimal health. I don’t avoid them, but I don’t go out of my way to add them to my diet. I get most of my fat from whole foods. I eat 4-6 oz of nuts and seeds everyday. I consume 1-2 avocados most days. I add olives to many dishes. I use coconuts extensively. I eat fatty meats, especially fish. I substitute coconut cream for any recipe that uses dairy. I’m not vegan, but I’ve discovered they have a ton of delicious sauces made from nuts. Sauces are great for adding fat to a simple meat and vegetable meal.

(Carl Keller) #8

There’s a lot of ongoing debate about oils and what is or isn’t bad for you. @CandyLindTX is right about the items you named not containing trans fats. Artificial trans fats, the ones that are introduced into a food item to increase its shelf life, are unequivocably bad for you. These are things like margarine, some cookies, frostings, microwave popcorn etc. Trans fat also occurs naturally and you can find those in things like butter, fatty meat and some dairy products but their inclusion is minimal and it’s not proven to be bad for your health.

You can find 200 videos on youtube about how amazing and healthy coconut oil is and that raising your cholesterol is acutally a good thing, since it increases your HDL cholestrol (good cholesterol) ratio to LDL cholesterol (bad cholesterol), on the other hand you can find 50 videos where experts are saying CO is bad for you. The rub is… the experts telling you it’s bad usually have some affiliation with some Ivy league college that gets lots of money from corporations that sell Canola or other types of AMA approved oils. BTW, the AMA (AMerican Medical Association) gets lots of money from Corporations that want to buy their seal of approval. This is why you should be leery of anything the AMA says is good or bad since they are often politically motivated and not really concerned with what’s best for the public.

My advice is to listen to what all these “experts” have to say and do your own research to form your own conclusions. There’s tons of studies to support the idea that including good oils in your diet is heart healthy. For example, one study comparing the “Mediterranean Diet” to the AMA diet concluded that people on the Med diet have a much lower risk of heart disease than the AMA diet and the Med diet includes the regular use of olive oil.

I love eggs cooked in bacon fat. Heavenly!

(Joanna Parszyk ) #10

Macadamia nuts. I cannot be trusted with an open bag :star_struck::star_struck::star_struck:

(Doug) #11

:smile: You can trust me to just eat the whole thing.

(Joanna Parszyk ) #12

:rofl: l hear ya!

Also l started treating myself with an occasional teaspoon of butter just to let it melt in my mouth… l haven’t eaten carbage and shugar for years now (went on paleo side and got carried away with fruits and sweet potatoes) and my taste buds tell me that unsalted butter is like a dessert by itself! Not mentioning mascarpone or HWC!

(Carl Keller) #13

When I went to Hawaii (like 25 years ago), we got mac nuts on the plane flight there. We got them at the airport when we were greeted and we got them at the hotel when we checked in. Ten days later, after seeing them everywhere we went and after getting them again on the flight home, I was sick of macadamian nuts. :rage:

I picked up a jar of them a few weeks ago and for the first time since Ronald Reagan was president, I was pleasantly surprised that I really like them… again! Aloha Macadamian nuts!

(Joanna Parszyk ) #14

I secretly hope l’ll get sick of then any time soon :joy::joy::joy:

(Terence Dean) #15

Butter is your friend on this diet Ryan. Welcome to Keto, the key to this way of eating (WOE) is to do the research and learn as much about the science behind Ketogenics. I’ll just drop this video link for you to start with but there are plenty of other resources on this site and great pod casts by the 2ketodudes to help you understand what’s going on. Good luck!

(Carl Keller) #16

Haha! Good luck with that. :stuck_out_tongue:

(Joanna Parszyk ) #17

I switched to smaller packages (125g) not to overdo it. All the fat is welcome but nuts are sometimes hard in the stomach

(Terence Dean) #18

Yewbetcha, throw enough butter in the pan so the omelette swims in the stuff! I’ve been eating Bacon & Eggs every morning with 25-40g of butter for over six months, I just got my blood tests done the other day and my cholesterol levels are normal.

(Doug) #19

For sure - I’ll take out a stick of butter, use a little of it to fry meat, and eat the rest of the stick at one sitting. Cut a nice cool little sliver or slice off; keep repeating.

(Joanna Parszyk ) #20

What a relief!!! I’m not the only one :rofl::rofl::rofl:

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #21

You’re not! I don’t do butter spoons, but I slice and eat it while I’m cooking, for sure!