Thinking about carnivore but craving veggies

(Heather Meyer) #1

So… for the most part i eat meat and not a whole lot of veggies. I find i get bloated and gassy from vegs… but im curious… If i dont eat veggies, i find myself craving them…like bowls of broccoli and slices of peppers…

Is it actually veggies i am craving? Or is this some kind of deficiency or intolerence issue?

(Rebecca ) #2

You know, as a rule I tend to not eat vegetables (I’ve been ketogenic for 5 months). However, the last 2 days I had spinach au gratin one day and Brussels Sprouts with sour cream and cheese on the other with my proteins and I WOLFED them down!!! I really believe that my body needed them.

Why can’t we ever just have, like a salad? - Kid from Nacho Libre

I get this urge too, I think for me it’s because I associate fresh and light with salads especially and sometimes I feel a bit “heavy” internally on Keto (if that makes sense lol).

(Heather Meyer) #4

yah ive had that experience before…somtimes all the fat makes me want somthing fresh and light and non greasy.

(Bob M) #5

Those don’t cause you issues? I can eat (cooked) broccoli, but (bell) peppers are touch and go. If I cook them (really) well, they’re OK. Otherwise, they can cause issues.

(Kristen Ann) #6

I have no idea if this is helpful or right but here is how I view my own cravings:

When I crave foods that I like (or used to like) then it’s not driven by need:

• When I have inflammation and pain I crave carbs, carbs make inflammation worse, and it’s a cycle
  • When I am emotional I crave sweets

When I crave foods that I’m indifferent about, it’s likely driven by need:

• When I crave eggs, I eat them bc I don’t even like eggs and I think its my body saying I need choline or something
  • When I crave steak, same goes. Pre-keto I never craved steak
  • Rarely I crave a grape tomoato or cucumber, foods that I’ve never cared for before, so when I crave them I just have really small portions of it. Like literally one grape tomato or 2 slices of cucumber. It’s kind of a waste, but I believe in listening to our bodies.

I’ll also say I’ve never done carnivore for more than a couple weeks straight, so I’m not an expert in that regard. I don’t do longer stretches of carnivore bc I don’t like to eat organ meats and worry about not getting the nutrition I need.

(Bob M) #7

I don’t think you have anything to be concerned about.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #8

I eat vegetables because I like the taste, texture and variety. I like meat, but I don’t LOVE meat so if I told myself that was all I was allowed to have I would get pretty depressed. I’ve learned that a “just veg” meal leaves me hungry much sooner than one with a mix of meat and veg so I like to find a mixed meal that has both.

I also like to pile a bunch of food into a bowl mix it all together. Some recent favorites are:

Chicken, buffalo sauce, mozzarella cheese, celery, sour cream
Pork, soy sauce, sauteed broccoli/onions, cilantro
Venison, sauteed mushrooms, szechuan sauce, cilantro
Chicken, broccoli, alfredo, more parm, garlic and fresh parsley and basil
Ground beef, cheddar, jalapenos, tomato, lettuce, sour cream, cilantro

(Jane Srygley) #9

I have been using beano to help with the gas from cruciferous and other veggies… but I’m starting to think maybe I should really reduce their consumption. If my body doesn’t tolerate them well, maybe I don’t need them…?

This, too, shall pass. :smile:

(Heather Meyer) #11

oh they cause me gas and bloating too… i just cant help myself… eating bell peppers are like eating candy

(Heather Meyer) #12

I never even thought of using beano for that!

Humans are novelty seekers as a species. Seeking things that are different to the standard creates diversity and variety in experience as it does in dietary choices. It’s not strange to think of vegetables, especially if they have other ‘good’ experiences linked to them. It’s your primitive brain trying its best to help you survive in a modern food environment.

Unfortunately knowledge doesn’t stop cravings. But it lets a person play with them.

KCKO

(Troy) #14

Yes
Cravings are going away a lot!

Childhood Memory

I would hide the broccoli in a napkin or bury it under the mash potatoes
Abracadabra gone😀

Adult Memory

On Wednesday
family member got me el pollo loco ( chicken legs n thighs ) w a side Of broccoli
Very thoughtful. Grateful
That’s what I would eat not too long ago

Yup
Confession time😢
No napkin Copperfield trick
But I did keep it in the small to go container
And tossed it!:flushed:
It made me feel good kinda

Oh well

I am `100% carnivore…jump straight in cause the water is fine and you will get a ton of benefits dropping those nasty veg :slight_smile:

We crave things we can’t have. It is with anything in life for many of us.
Plus we crave cause we might feel deprived.
Some morn the loss of certain foods cause we drop so much from our lives. Normal process.
We crave cause those veg have carbs in them and your body is asking for them. Just don’t give them to it :slight_smile:

bloat and gas from veg and internally they are giving you inflammation probably and more bad things.

If you get these nasty troubles from veg just drop them. Key to fighting cravings is eat the heck out of meat. Eat so much meat you can’t eat one other bite. Then even if you think you want a veg, your physically unable to eat it.

Many who start carnivore eat a lot. That is one reason cause they need total fullness to help against mind and body cravings.

You are deficient in your body functions and balance and it is because of the veg. Drop that, eat up the meat, and your body will balance out, heal internally, you will get wonderful benefits and and you thrive.

Hope some of that helps with your post. All coming from a carnivore point of view here since you are thinking about diving into carnivore.
We have great carnivore threads jumping and there are great carnivore people who will support you if you are ready to take the leap.

best of luck on what you decide.

@PortHardy Even if you don’t go carnivore feel free to pop in on the threads and see what we’re up to. I think we’re a pretty cool bunch.

(Heather Meyer) #17

thanks! I do like to read up on your threads to see how its going :slight_smile: Im a silent watcher!

(Bob M) #18

I do something similar with all meat, sometimes with cheese, or sometimes with olive oil/vinegar. For instance, shrimp, mussels, fish, with oil and vinegar. Steak with blue cheese. Steak and hot dogs. Ham, eggs, pork chops.

This weekend, I had shrimp and bacon with salsa. (We happened to have salsa after a party, so I was trying to get rid of it.)

(Bob M) #19

It’s these kinds of statements that I think are belittling and unsupported. While I see some people say they improved with dropping all vegetables, it is by no means a given that everyone needs to do so. Furthermore, I’ve seen people who went carnivore and came back to low carb.

While YOU might get benefits from being carnivore, this does not mean everyone will, nor does it mean everyone SHOULD.

I agree. I will try carnivore for some strange reasons but I think I will come back to eating vegetables just way less than before (I don’t decide that, my body will, I guess). I never ever felt they would cause any problem for me except adding calories and not making me more satiated, probably in the contrary as all carbs but that’s not necessarily a problem. I blame other plants (and some other things, not related to my diet) to keep me from losing fat on keto or feeling less than ideal (some dairy could do these too but I eat very little of them).

There is no single ideal diet for everyone and I am sure the ideal diet may be even high-carb for some people. They are just obviously thriving on it and when they try low-carb, they suffer and can’t get used to even keto and keto is nowhere as strict as carnivore.
Every somewhat healthy person should be able to survive on keto and even on carnivore as long as they get everything they body needs because they make no silly mistakes - but it doesn’t mean it’s ideal. And if a substance is bad in big amounts, it doesn’t mean we have to avoid it at all cost, even tiny amounts. And all diet contains food that has something “potentially bad” in it. So I don’t think anyone should feel their diet is perfect. If it feels so for them, good for them but it might be different for others.
I try to get knowledge and think but looking at people experience is quite important for me and first of all, listen to my individual body. That helps the most. We can read everything and the opposite too, it’s often very hard to figure out the truth but even if I know something is right in general, it says little about my complex case. And I don’t lower the remaining little quality of my life for something I don’t even believe in.

I guess my opinion will be always like this. Each to their own, being open-minded is important. One might need 5g net carbs, the other 1000g a day, I never thought there’s anything wrong with either if it works for the one in question. Certain people just function in an interesting way, it’s wrong to think everyone is like us or the average person in the research we have read about and agreed with.
I tried different things but never extremely low carb and I might benefit from that (I am sure I will, if I can stop being addicted to peanuts, it will be a win). Many people would benefit from just trying low-carb diets… But some people shouldn’t go too low if possible. So it’s okay they don’t do it (and it’s tragic that we are usually forced to do the opposite, eating too high-carb as a kid when our body dislike that but can’t tell us while it’s drown in carbs).