THINK TANK for helping friends/family see the light

(KCKO, KCFO) #21

I don’t talk about it unless I am asked about it. My hairdresser, a vegan, has started IFing and eating what is low carb for vegetarians/vegans, she finally got her weight back into the 120s, she has been trying to do that since 2013. My neighbor noticed I looked “tiny”. I told her simply cut down on breads, pasta, and beers, she looks terrific now and is 20 lbs. lighter. Still has beer on weekends only.

My sister’s asked me about my fasting and how I had lost weight. I sent them links to 2ketodudes, Dr. Fung’s blog, and some recipe sites. One of them has had cancer twice now, the other has very bad IBS and is lacto intolerant. Since I first discussed any of this with them back in June, One has reached her goal weight and looks great. The other is slowly losing, but is losing. Again, I don’t say anything to either unless they ask me. Oh and one of them has two coworkers who noticed her changes and they have started doing keto/IFing.

“For me, this has become all-out WAR against The Medical Establishment, Big “Food,” and Big Pharm. The people I love are all sick, and IT’S THEIR FAULT.”

We found out the truth, others can as well. Be a willing resources, but you can’t push this down anyone’s throat. We all have our own time of readiness.

I do not place blame, it isn’t “their fault”. Big food and big pharm do not follow you around and load up your shopping basket or plate with non keto, low nutritional foods. Only you can own that.

I took a long and winding road, my low carber carbs journey started in 1995 with the Zone diet, 40/30/30. That kept me as healthy as I am, and kept the carbs from totally ruling my nutrition. Later can South Beach, pretty similar, then finally New Atkins, san the bars and shakes, then the 2keto dudes, then finally fasting via the podcasts with Dr Fung and Megan. 22 yrs. all up.

I think it is Carl who gives out cards with keto info on it. I think that is a nice idea, maybe just list a couple of websites and or podcasts like the 2 ketodudes, a book like Obesity Code, or Taubs’ books, not too much but enough to get them interested and heading down a pathway.

(Sheri Knauer) #22

I agree with be the example. The person has to be ready for it. What I think may be useful to show people is some kind of chart with the information presented in the most recent podcast of people who have lost 100+ pounds and kept it off. During the podcast, Richard and Carl had read some stats about the people who volunteered some of their information regarding their weight loss, improved or resolved health issues, etc. I think maybe seeing some sort of chart (if that is the appropriate thing for what Im talking about) of all the people who have lost weight and improved their health may help instead of just one person talking about all health benefits but to see the results of many

(Candy Lind) #23

I first saw him this week, and I agree, he’s very laid-back & personable.

ABSOLUTELY one of the biggest-hitting presentations! It’s hard to believe she was a last minute addition, isn’t it?

Two great suggestions. :+1:t2:

(Candy Lind) #24

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

(Rob) #25

For more long lasting effect I was thinking police caution tape condoning off the aisles with signs about the poisonous defects of carbs. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

“No longer fit for human consumption” or something?

(Darlene Horsley) #26

Ever noticed that Walmart has the pastries, cookies, pies and cupcakes right there IN YOUR FACE as you walk through the front door? I want to put skull and crossbones stickers on all of it as I pass by. LOL

If you think they may be more receptive to watching a movie style video (documentary) here are a few suggestions that are pretty entertaining/ informative and I’m sure others will chime in:
That Sugar Film, Fed Up, Hungry for Change, Sugar Coated (all on Netflix currently), Fathead, Carb Loaded: a nation dying to eat, Cereal Killers. These are not necessarily explaining or promoting keto, but might wake your family/ friends up to the effects of sugar/ carbs. As previously mentioned, you can’t force them into adopting this WOE, but sometimes it only takes a small spark of interest or hearing something that resonates from a 3rd party (since obviously as family members, we know nothing :wink:) to entice them to ask for more info or start their own research. I appreciate your compassion and enthusiasm. Good luck!

(Candy Lind) #28

COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC!

Would someone please add “TL;DR” or whatever the heck it is to the Acronym Wiki? TIA.

(Heather Miller) #29

Be the example is the only way. Answer questions honestly when asked and provide websites to podcasts, forum, dietdr or whatever as requested. As my success continues I count at least 12 people who are now on this WOE as a direct result of my success. Unfortunately some that I wish would start are not yet ready.:joy:

I think one of the most stunning things I discovered is how they moved the goalposts on glucose testing. A whole 27 point difference to what it was 20 years ago! They made allowances for the new FRUCTOSE diet. I always fight to keep mine at 80, or below now. Most days its 75.

(Darlene Horsley) #31

That IS pretty stunning and angry making.
Good job on keeping those numbers low!

(Keto in Katy) #32

When I got started a few years ago I made several polite attempts to discuss LCHF/keto with some overweight and diabetic relatives because I also felt the need to help. I quickly discovered that they were not receptive to any of it.

In that case there is nothing to be done so I mind my own business.

I have tried to practice unconditional acceptance of self and others. As the judgemental, critical, examinations decrease in me, and as I model my life with transparency and an invitation to explore what I am up to, I have discovered people are more willing to enter conversations about just about anything.
I have many people in my life, clients, family, friends, who have asked what I am up to about my health and I freely discuss this amazing experience of Keto and IF. The ones who are open to change and interested in things they don’t know about often adopt what works for them out of my sharing material and knowledge. People who are fearful, attached to their beliefs that may not be working for them, are also willing to engage in conversation with me as well.
I don’t blame anyone or institution for my health. I try not to rant. I do think we are responsible for our choices. I rarely use Allopathic Medicine. I use Naturopathic, Ayurvedic, Homeopathic, "woo-woo"pathic and often talk about those. It lifts the veil that there is only one medicine and MD’s are the only avenues to health.
Interestingly, this is very similar to the John Sarno, MD material regarding back pain. He identified decades ago that the majority of back surgery was unnecessary and in fact promotes disability. He identified and named a syndrome of pain and illness that is treatable by how a person works through rage and other powerful emotions. No matter how many people have been healed by this approach there are abundant nay sayers.
Fear, the greatest debilitating mind set. I want to respect a person’s fear while allowing change.
Be Blessed!

I think one of the major problems with overweight people, is overcoming the fact that change takes effort. Often in a dark and lazy place, they find it difficult to give up what kills them, but also makes them happy.

@Wishbone are you speaking for yourself? If anyone has caused you to feel that you are obese (are you?) because of laziness and avoidance I am truly sorry.

I have found that for a very long time dietary remedies that are successful for a lean person or for a person who is temporarily overweight, as in a short term situation, are unquestionably applied to the obese person or the person who has carried obesity for a long long time. Many brilliant minds refusing to acknowledge that this is wrong medicine. Many brilliant minds refusing to work harder to unravel the hormonal complications endemic in obesity.

I think frustration causes one to embrace these stereotypes as a default. I have seen (and been) obese persons work tirelessly trying to make the old paradigms of Calorie In Calorie Out, or Calorie Reduction As Primary, or Move More Eat Less be successful only to demonstrate the failure of those modalities, not failure of the obese person. At some point anyone would be tired, hopeless, shameful…

This is going to get long, hang in there with me…

For years I had to participate in consultation groups with psychiatrists, primary care docs, psychologists as an ethical part of my profession. More than I can count, a doctor would be discussing the disparity between a client’s food journal and inability to reduce weight. You know how they would come to understand this? By concluding that the patient was lying, was a poor self reporter, that their journal couldn’t possibly be accurate. Not once did I witness a professional acknowledge that they, the medical professional, are inadequate and are falling short or perhaps too lazy and therefore don’t understand obesity and are not competent to treat such individuals. For sure, I never heard incompetent. As in not educated in these matters. Let’s do something about that…No, just the client is lying.

I am inviting you not to continue such thinking. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to reflect on this part of obesity. I can say, I have never felt lazy or avoidant in my journey to improve my health. But who knows, from the outside maybe it looks that way.

(Mary) #37

I hear what you’re saying, Elaine, and applaud your compassion. I suspect there may be a “spectrum” of reasons for obesity - all the way from the person who starves themselves and exercises like a fiend and still can’t shift the weight (likely due to IR), up to the individual who stuffs as much crap as possible down their gullet, mostly done in the car or otherwise secretly (IR is also likely involved but 5000 cal of sugar daily is going to have a bad effect on your weight, no matter how insulin sensitive you are). Sadly, I belong to the latter camp and can’t blame anyone but myself for my excess weight. I did it, I own it, and I’m the only one who can fix it. I suppose, in my defense, I can claim that I didn’t know about keto but knowing about keto wouldn’t have made any difference when I was shoveling down an entire box of doughnuts or litre of ice cream…

I guess I just wanted to point out that not every obese person is “working tirelessly … to make CICO work”.

I admire your strength in those words.

I came to keto by way of fasting. I explored fasting initially when I was learning about Leptin resistance and the hormonal influence of Grehlin (the hunger hormone). What I learned, and it helped in moving away from blame and shame, is that the biology is much smarter, stronger, and intricate than willpower, or intellect, or behavior modification will ever be. I learned that the body will defend it’s fat, and that the hunger hormone will increase not as a response to the amount of food eaten, but to the relationship with numerous biochemical processes in the body.

While I am aware of people who have come to obesity from the conditions in the mother’s womb, I was only influenced there:) I still find it fascinating how a box of Glam Girl Donuts never seems enough. So, Keto with IF finally released me from all that biochemistry. I hold as a blessing the first time I felt relaxed, satiated, un-preoccupied (is this even a word?).

Thanks for the share!

Great thread! Thanks for starting it.

I started keto because I had gained weight at menopause and was vain enough to want to shift the weight. It took me 3-1/2 years to shift 30 lb, and I was happy with that. Then, I was diagnosed with cancer, so I took up water fasting. I quit drinking wine and sparkling, and lost another 30 lb in 3-1/2 months. :roll_eyes:

The kids sometimes ask about what I am doing. Lol I sat down with an overweight mate who wanted to shift weight for her wedding. She gained 30 lb. She ignored keto and carried on eating da carbs.

I am so happy to be this side of the dirt, I run the risk of evangelism.

BUT I am happy with living what is left of my life and by virtue of that my friends and family seeing that I am happy, healthy and look younger than I did when I was 50. :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

If anyone provides the slightest opening, I go for it!

(Ms.) #40

I DO think being an example is doing something, even though it doesn’t FEEL like it. My father-in-law dismissed low carb information years ago, but we (my husband and I) continued on because we saw the benefits. Then one day his doctor said something about diabetes. Now he is mostly on board with it because he likes his toes and kidneys.

I have a little guy in my life, too, who is on the road to T2D. This has been a huge lesson in facing the fact that I can’t control everything and I can’t parent other people’s children. It seems so obvious as I type it, but it was a real struggle being able to see the destructive path they are taking and not be able to do anything that feels useful. I’ve shared science. I’ve shared information. When the topic comes up, I continue to share information out of love and compassion, but as far as I can see, that is really as far as my obligation goes. Remembering this boundary - that, whether I like it or not, this is not my circus and not my monkey has helped keep me sane because, really, it breaks my heart.

That said, we have purchased and read this with our children: https://www.amazon.com/Fat-Head-Kids-Stuff-Health/dp/0998673404

If they are receptive to the book, I’d say it is a great place to start. The author does mention “boy boobs” and refers to himself when he was a teen as “fat.” He does an excellent job of discussing nutrition without telling kids to go on a diet of any kind - he discusses food choices. It is truly what I wish I knew when I was a kid.

I’m attacked openly at work for being foolishly hardcore about keto diet and fasting. They say I’m doing myself serious harm and lying about being able to fast. Those same fat people come into my office and ask me how to do it. Most leave a skeptic, still. My boss went to OMAD for a couple of weeks and then told me it just didn’t work for his lifestyle lost 12 pounds. I gave up, at the office. I now bring cookies to work every week and go around encouraging people to eat.