Think I might be out of ketosis?

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet consectetuer adipiscing elit. Massa in sollicitudin erat vitae nascetur sociis augue nibh vivamus? Integer cras habitant ut facilisi erat commodo taciti ultricies. Ullamcorper convallis donec in curabitur pellentesque est dictum accumsan netus sed. Pellentesque porta orci duis ipsum adipiscing cras dolor. Ornare at sagittis cras congue at praesent integer gravida nostra proin ut dictum. Mi tempor venenatis. Integer venenatis lectus eleifend parturient primis. Justo pellentesque ve primis sollicitudin accumsan dolor hendrerit sagittis at dolor et facilisis risus id varius interdum.

How long have you been eating keto? It can take 6 weeks (sometimes more) to start feeling the positive effects. If you are hungry EAT. Keto is not about calories resticting (especially in the beginning) it is about getting your hormones regulated. If you restrict ( don’t eat when you are truly hungry) it may cause your body to hold on to fat. It sounds counterproductive but you need to feed your body. You mentioned a lot of health issues. Your body may need to heal some of that before it decides it is safe to let go of some of the fat. Just keep your carbs low. Eat when you are hungry and have patience. It did t take a day to get to where you are and it will take some time to heal and lose the weight.

Should I try to eat more in the middle of the day or whatever ignore and just eat when hungry (which is late at night now for some reason)?

I would try to eat more at my meals so I am not hungry in the evening. Are you truly hungry at night? Or is it that you are an evening snacker? I was a snacker so I would feel like I wanted to eat something even though I was not really hungry.

I feels like true hunger not boredom or snack related. I usually don’t snack at night. First few weeks I definitely had sweet tooth cravings that I resolved with nut butter/stevia . Now I’m craving red meat so not carbs.

(Carl Keller) #6

Hello and welcome Katharine.

There are a lot of hormones involved with the digestive system and eating poorly for decades gets them all out of whack. So the first part of keto should be getting those hormones behaving responsibly and it’s at that point that you should start feeling great. Right now the hunger hormone (Ghrelin) seems to be holding you back. If it were under control, you wouldn’t be so hungry and your body would be more likely to let go of fat. As it stands, I think maybe the hunger is a sign that your body expects food for the energy it thinks is missing.

So I suggest as @hapygirl says and eat when you are hungry. Try not to snack and try to eat a little more when you do eat. If it means uping your fat and protein macro a bit, then it’s worth it to tame your ghrelin. Macros are just good starting points but what works for one person might be too much or two little for someone else.

Hope this is helpful.

ok. I will try that. Thank you for the input. Are there other strategies for combating Grehlin? Like, would supplements help?

(Carl Keller) #8

Just eating the right things. Protein and fat are good partners in keep ghrelin at bay.

(Cindy) #9

Katharine, first, a reality check. You’ve lost 14 lbs in 6 weeks. That’s over 2 lbs/week, so to want MORE is just being greedy. Seriously. Look, I completely understand. I started gaining serious weight in college and fought it with one weight loss attempt after another my entire adult life. I even almost killed myself with a LapBand (that later had to be removed). So I get it. Really.

But you mention PCOS, GERD, IBS, some pituitary issues, cholesterol, glucose issues, etc…and then say that you won’t be happy with NSVs. It’s all about weight loss.

So another reality check. Until you get your health and metabolism stabilized, the weight loss NEEDS TO BE SECONDARY. You’re kind of putting the cart before the horse when you emphasize weight loss only because that means you’re constantly focused on that scale number. That will lead you right BACK to the behaviors that helped get you here…calorie restricting, obsessive behavior, etc.

Another reality check. You want this to be a lifelong change. No dropping 50 or 100 lbs to just gain it back later on down the road. Right? So it’s not about trying to tweak it this way and that to get the best weight loss, it’s not about eating 400 calories/day and then being ravenous the next day. It’s about learning to LISTEN to what your body needs, giving it time to become fat adapted and to tell YOU what’s needed for the day.

Here’s my advice (from an older woman who has been where you are in MANY ways). Start over with a different set of expectations. STOP tracking. Yes, many people here track, but they don’t usually have a history of obsessive behavior. STOP weighing yourself for a while. TRUST keto. Give yourself 6-8 weeks (minimum) to follow very basic keto guidelines.

• Keep total carbs <20 g.
  • Eat fatty proteins, don’t be afraid of fat, use it for flavor, eat olives, avocados, etc, but don’t FORCE yourself to eat more fat.
  • Stick to low carb/keto friendly vegetables (cabbage, broccoli, kale, leafy greens, mushrooms, etc).
  • Avoid artificial sweeteners as much as possible (helps to retrain your sweet tooth, some are gut/bowel irritants, etc)
  • Limit dairy because it’s high in calories and often has some carbs, but don’t eliminate it if you like it.
  • Eat when hungry, stop when satisfied. Try to limit snacks. So if you’re hungry after a meal, truly hungry, then eat a MEAL. Doesn’t matter if it’s 2 hrs after the last meal because you’re learning to listen to your body. A snack just triggers your insulin levels and then leaves you hungry again in 2 hrs. So eat a MEAL, then try to go 4-6 hrs before the next meal. That might also mean you need to eat MORE at meals…if you’re in a weight loss/calorie restriction mindset, you won’t want to do that. But initially, you NEED to. And if you’re not weighing, you can give yourself time to listen to your body vs trying to force it to do what you want it to do.

I started keto in November. I didn’t weigh until January 9th and even then, thought very seriously about it. When I have a number on the scale, I want to eat TO THAT NUMBER. As in, I think “Oh, I’ll skip that because I want to see the numbers go down.” But that’s WRONG. If I’m hungry, and don’t eat, the BMR will tend to go down because I’m withholding energy needs. But if I eat (low carbs, higher fat), then the BMR stays up and my body can access fat stores for any additional energy.

Listen to this podcast.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #10

Semper risus in hendrerit gravida rutrum. Risus commodo viverra maecenas accumsan lacus vel. Aliquet enim tortor at auctor. Risus pretium quam vulputate dignissim suspendisse.

Well I can’t say it any better than @PaulL

(Running from stupidity) #12

Bacon ipsum dolor amet ham hock tri-tip pastrami landjaeger kielbasa. Beef pig salami venison, hamburger kielbasa doner pork chop pastrami chicken. Pig kielbasa pastrami ribeye. Pig chuck turkey cow hamburger beef tenderloin ham hock. T-bone pork capicola, pork loin buffalo drumstick corned beef frankfurter jerky. Tri-tip t-bone turducken andouille burgdoggen pork loin. Ham hock meatball jerky shankle, landjaeger tenderloin swine hamburger capicola venison.

Turkey drumstick swine strip steak burgdoggen. Hamburger short loin pig beef ribs. Bresaola ham hock porchetta chicken, turducken burgdoggen cupim salami prosciutto kielbasa. Jerky chuck ribeye short ribs. Pork belly chicken alcatra drumstick, flank sausage corned beef jerky.

(Sue) #13

Superb advice. Thank you

Veni, vani, veci, cogito ergo unum, mea culpa, mea culpa, san luis obispo, fuckthisshitetum.

I could also translate this in Cajun if you wish.

(Omar) #15

ماهذه اللغه