Thickening sauces

What are you guys using to thicken sauces? I’ve tried coconut flour; it didn’t work. In some cases, I can use cheese, but that’s not always the right option either. I have xanthum gum to try but I’m really not a fan.

Thoughts?

I use egg yolks to thicken. It takes quite a lot of finesse and patience. Start by taking your hot liquid off the burner so it will cool a little while you do the following: Separate 2 yolks from the whites. Mix the yolks using a whisk but don’t overdo it. Then, while still whisking the yolks, dribble tiny amounts (maybe a 1/4-1/2 tsp at a time) of the hot liquid into the yolks. Repeat until you have at least a cup of the yolk-hot liquid mixture. Now, start whisking the pan of liquid you took off the burner. While whisking, slowly pour in the yolk-liquid mixture. Once it’s all mixed in, put the pan back on the burner on low and continue whisking for a minute. Take it off the burner. It will thicken as it cools. Practice a couple times before attempting this thickening method on an important dish. I know from lots of firsthand experience if this method is rushed you’ll end up with curdled gravy.

(Ahmad ) #3

I wanna start a 20/4 how fast will I lose weight

Questions about IF

I use some glucomannan powder, it works great! For example, I use some melted butter and pan drippings from fried pork w/ spices, whisk in some sprinkles of glucomannan powder and continue to heat until thickened. Sometimes I add a bit of water to have more sauce as long as the seasonings and fats are tasty enough to handle the dilution. I love to put this sauce on a bowl of Pasta Zero (found in the tofu section of WalMart).

(Beth) #5

I’m with Helewisa, love that glucomannan. The final texture reminds me of cornstarch as thickener. A little goes a long way & one bottle lasts forever.

(James Willis) #6

I have xanthum gum to try but I’m really not a fan.
[/quote]

xanthan gum has a weird texture that seems like it’d work much better for some things than for others- I will keep experimenting with it as I go along–but, careful with the quantities, it can cause diarrhea!

[quote=“Noctaire, post:1, topic:22910”]

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

I tried coconut flour, and it did thicken, but I didn’t like the texture of the final result. It wasn’t thrilling.

I have tried xanthan gum in a keto bread and had to throw the bread away. The gooey, weirdness was so awful that I just couldn’t eat it. I haven’t tried it since, and find myself reaching for the glucomannan.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

Source: https://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-205-glucomannan.aspx?activeingredientid=205&activeingredientname=glucomannan

Glucomannan is a sugar made from the root of the konjac plant (Amorphophallus konjac). Glucommanan powder, capsules, and tablets are used as medicine.

Glucomannan is used for constipation, weight loss in adults and children, type 2 diabetes, blood sugar control, and lowering cholesterol.

In foods, glucomannan is used as a thickener or gelling agent. Glucommanan flour and powder are used in food.

How does it work?

Glucomannan might work in the stomach and intestines by absorbing water to form a bulky fiber which treats constipation. It may also slow the absorption of sugar and cholesterol from the gut, helping to control sugar levels in diabetes, and reducing cholesterol levels.

Possibly Effective for:

Constipation. Research suggests that taking glucomannan by mouth can relieve constipation in children and adults.
Diabetes. Taking glucomannan by mouth seems to reduce cholesterol, blood sugar levels, and blood pressure in people with diabetes.
High cholesterol. Taking glucomannan by mouth seems to improve cholesterol levels in people with high cholesterol, with or without diabetes.

Insufficient Evidence for:

Stomach condition called dumping syndrome. Some early research suggests that taking a specific glucomannan product (Propol, Pharmacia, Woerden, The Netherlands) reduces the risk of blood sugar becoming too low after eating in people who have had stomach surgery. However, not all research agrees. Some research suggests that glucomannan does not improve blood sugar absorption in children after stomach surgery.
High blood pressure. Some early research suggests that glucomannan might improve blood pressure in people with high blood pressure.
Overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism). Early research suggests that glucomannan plus methimazole and propranolol reduce thyroid hormone levels in people with too much thyroid hormone in the body.
Obesity. There is early research that suggests taking glucomannan by mouth might improve weight loss in overweight and obese adults and children. However, not all research agrees.
Other conditions.

More evidence is needed to rate glucomannan for these uses.

Glucomannan powder or flour is LIKELY SAFE when consumed as food. Glucomannan powder and capsules are POSSIBLY SAFE for most adults and children when used in medicinal amounts for up to 4 months. However, solid tablets containing glucomannan are POSSIBLY UNSAFE for adults and LIKELY UNSAFE for children. These can sometimes cause blockages of the throat or intestines.

Special Precautions & Warnings:
Pregnancy and breast-feeding: There is not enough reliable information about the safety of taking glucomannan if you are pregnant or breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.

Diabetes: Glucomannan may interfere with blood sugar control. Monitor blood sugar closely if you have diabetes and use glucomannan.

Surgery: Glucomannan might interfere with blood sugar control during and after surgery. Stop using glucomannan at least 2 weeks before a scheduled surgery.

GLUCOMANNAN Interactions What is this?

Moderate Interaction Be cautious with this combination

Medications for diabetes (Antidiabetes drugs) interacts with GLUCOMANNAN

Glucomannan can decrease blood sugar in people with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes medications are also used to lower blood sugar. Taking glucomannan along with diabetes medications might cause your blood sugar to go too low. Monitor your blood sugar closely. The dose of your diabetes medication might need to be changed.

Some medications used for diabetes include glimepiride (Amaryl), glyburide (DiaBeta, Glynase PresTab, Micronase), insulin, pioglitazone (Actos), rosiglitazone (Avandia), chlorpropamide (Diabinese), glipizide (Glucotrol), tolbutamide (Orinase), and others.
Medications taken by mouth (Oral drugs) interacts with GLUCOMANNAN

Glucomannan absorbs substances in the stomach and intestines. Taking glucomannan along with medications taken by mouth can decrease how much medicine your body absorbs, and decrease the effectiveness of your medication. To prevent this interaction, take glucomannan at least one hour after medications you take by mouth.

Heavy whipping cream might be good.

What’s wrong with corn starch? It’s only 7 carbs per Tablespoon

Only, he says :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Not sounding very promising… :weary:

We used arrowroot for a gravy; it was ok, about the same consistency as corn starch would be. It’s still more carbs than I’d Like to see in the dish.

Glucomannan, like psyllium husk, makes me a bit nervous because they’re sold as dietary supplements rather than food.

I’m looking toward getting an immersion blender/mixer but it’s still not quite right. It’s looking as though a starch just might be the only solution and that simply comes with the carbs.

Thanks for the suggestions.

(Beth) #14

Best gravy idea I have found - hands down - base of cream cheese & beef or chicken stock. I added black pepper to make it taste like cream gravy. Got it from Maria Emmerich’s post on her site, also on dietdoctor.com. This was the recipe that convinced me I could do keto forever as a way of life, not a diet.
http://mariamindbodyhealth.com/sausage-gravy-and-biscuits/

(Carol E. ) #15

Depending on how the sauce is being used you may want to consider adding vegetables, such as cauliflower. This suggestion is in the spirit of making a blended soup (and thinking outside the box) with a blender, food processor or immersion blender, which IMHO, are sauce-like. :grinning:

Warm Stock + cauliflower + some cheese blended would likely produce a nice “sauce”.

Doing this now. Thank you for the link!