They're coming for our coconut oil!

(Clare) #1

Just spotted this hit job article on coconut oil on the guardian.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/jul/09/coconut-oil-debunked-health-benefits-big-fat-lie-superfood-saturated-fats-lard

Now some of this looks like nit picking to me (like saying it’s use on skin and hair is only ‘cosmetic’ - well duh!!!)
But I wondered about some of the other science.

I spotted something from the AHA and I know those guys are dodgy as fuck so I wondered if anybody had anything to say on this.

I use a little coconut oil and butter in my coffee every day and I find it keeps my appetite perfectly under control until around 1pm unless I’m unusually active. And on a week day I do about an hour and half of excerise.

Come on guys - show me the science!

(Michael Wallace Ellwood) #2

hmm…I saw this article in the printed edition of The Observer (the Sunday stablemate of The Guardian).

Also, earlier in the week, a Guardian columnist was quoting the AHA article/report/piece of shit condemning CNO in typically unscientific terms.

There was an earlier forum thread about that AHA piece, which I wanted to find again, but I found this thread first.

If I find the other one, I’ll link it here.

Edit: here:

…but I just spotted another one.

Here:

(Clare) #3

I’m assuming that as with the rabid fear of ‘tropical’ oils in I think the 1950s or 60s, there’s probably somebody’s commercial interest behind this sudden rash of articles and the AHA seem to be mentioned in all of them. I smell the kind of wraparound coverage that you get when a PR firm somewhere have been hired to place stories with papers.

Like I said, my favourites complaint here was that using it cosmetically only has cosmetic results. I don’t think anybody using it on their hair or skin expects anything ther than cosmetic benefits. Is the maddest complaint I can think of. It’s like complaining that lipstick won’t make your lips red permanently. It just smacks of looking for something to complain about.