They're catching up... this forum will soon be obsolete? Not really

(David Cooke) #1

(Joey) #2

Thanks for the link. This buried snippet caught my eye…

One study noted that while a ketogenic diet greatly improved glycemic control, it created problems with lipid metabolism and the liver.

Perhaps the “problems with the lipid metabolism” included: no longer needing to purchase statins nor promoting fatty liver disease? :thinking:

(Marianne) #3

Yeah, just when you think the medical/scientific community is catching up, they reinforce inaccurate concerns. I think we are still years away from keto being a recognized pathway to health. Too many powerful interests against it (big pharma, big agriculture, etc.)

We shouldn’t hang around waiting for them. Keto on.

(Todd Allen) #6

The problems with lipid metabolism are increases in LDL often minor but sometimes dramatic. People who go keto for diabetes ot obesity tend to see a reduction of LDL while those who are lean see the greatest increases but also see big improvements in HDL and triglycerides. My wife and I are among those seeing massive swings in lipids and both qualify as LMHRs. I expect this pattern will eventually be seen positively.

(Edith) #7

Good point. And…. we don’t know how long they followed keto before they did the blood tests. We are always telling newbies to give it six months before testing. I’m willing to bet blood testing was done within weeks of starting the diet

(Joey) #8

Same here. LMHR, and loving it.

Ya, $20 billion a year in lost statins, definitely a “problem”. I’m far from anti “big-pharma” but let’s be real. A patient cured is a customer lost.

(Joey) #10

… and reduced travel junkets (also known as continuing education credits) for prescribing physicians, and advertising dollars for networks, and dollars for academia might also be problems, too.