Thermal Cooking Pots - does anyone use them?

(Ian Stavert) #1

Does anyone use those thermal cooking pots - not the Instant Pots, or Slow Cookers, but the ones that you head up the ingredients so that everything is heated through and then you put it into a sealed container, close the lid, and maybe, 8 hours later, it’s cooked, just using the trapped heat in the container. You need liquids of some sort to cover the food and hold the heat. Thermos make the brand that I have. I’ve used it a couple of times to make Thai Green Curry Chicken, but also trying to find a use for it camping in my teardrop camper. I’m cooking for one. Thanks all.

(Carpe salata!) #2

I haven’t used one, but found this on google …

http://www.innovations.com.au/m/p/kitchen/appliances-cookware/tmckr-thermal-cooker?Affiliate=ADIAS&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9ef-vKGy1QIVzAgqCh2ACQ8FEAQYAyABEgL5j_D_BwE

Maybe for a smaller portion would a wide mouthed thermos do the job?

(Sophie) #3

I love this idea! It never dawned on me to do something like thermal cooking until just recently, hubba-hubba and I were watching a BBC series on The Wartime Farm set during WWII. There is 8 episodes (I’ll post a link to the first one) and I’m sorry, I don’t remember which one this thermal cooker appeared, but the lady of the house took a crate and lined it with straw. She heated up the makings for her stew on the stove top, then covered the pot with a lid, set the pot into the straw lined box, then covered it with more straw and put a lid on the box and left it to it’s own devices for several hours. This was done out of necessity because fuel was so expensive. I thought it was incredibly cool!

(Norma Laming) #4

Yes when I was on holiday as a child in Suffolk, UK, in the 60s and 70s the lady we stayed with used a hay box to make porridge overnight. You can cook anything in them really that you can do as a casserole in the oven. The porridge went in at night after being heated and it came out the next morning fully cooked. it was basically just a large wooden box packed with hay and insulated with newspaper, too.

As a matter of interest, there is a version on sale in the UK that is designed for use on a yacht. It does look rather splendid. I haven’t looked for the weblink recently. With my fantastic electric pressure cooker I really can’t think that I might need one now. On the other hand the idea of not using electricity is really wonderful.

By the way, you do have to be careful with these as the stuff inside can sometimes boil over because it gets so hot!