There is Sugar IN MY SALT

Look for other brands. Or use a combination of different salts. Richmond Real salt is our everyday salt. It is a good-quality salt that seems to be free of the pollution that some salts have, primarily plastic residues. This would also include Himalayan salt, which is sadly showing signs of plastic residue. However, we also have salt that is iodine-fortified (thyroid issues do run on the female side of the family), and a variety of cooking salts.

(Joey) #22

Perhaps “trace minerals” are the ones they can actually trace. The rest? … who knows :wink:

Actually, I understand Redmond salt comes from an underground mine (in the UT Rockies) as opposed to evaporated salt pools on the surface (e.g., Great Salt Lake). As a result, it hasn’t gathered the modern day pollutants/chemicals we’ve introduced into our environment (sea water, runoff, atmospheric crap, etc.).

Whether this actually makes a difference is anybody’s guess, but at least that’s the marketing angle that I’ve fallen for.

(Bob M) #23

I do like it, although it advertises itself as having a “subtle, sweet flavor”. I personally don’t have the ability to taste that. :wink:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #24

“Trace” means they are present only in barely detectable amounts. In other words, they can only find “traces” of these minerals.

(Joey) #25

Can’t taste that “sweet” flavor either. Since it’s not dextrose, must be very subtle.

(KM) #26

Exactly. What’s next? “For your personal enjoyment and wellbeing, we have included corn syrup in your eyedrops, molasses in your dental fillings, and we are hopeful about imposing a special tax to purchase a government sponsored fructose rain additive.”

(Joey) #27

:laughing: Had to chuckle this morning when looking at one of our Redmond Salt packages …

So, recall that this stuff is mined in the Uinta Mountains in northern Utah. It’s simply ancient sea salt raised up about a mile high during hundreds of millions of years, now found in the upper Rocky Mountain range.

And yet, right here on the bag, it has a “best by” date of Feb 2026.

This must a federal government FDA requirement (as opposed to the US Geologic Survey folks, who presumably know better).

Apparently, after the first several hundred million years, this salt is now only expected to last another 3 years or so.

And then? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

(Allie) #28

We get the same here, everything legally has to be dated with a “best before”, even canned goods that can potentially last decades are only given a year or two.

(Doug) #29

‘Waiter, there’s a grain of sugar in my salt.’

(KM) #30

,:rofl:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #31

Guess I should check my gallon of spring water for a “best by” date, too!

It’s like the peanut butter jar that has “WARNING: CONTAINS PEANUTS” on it, lol! Same with the 5-lb. bags of peanuts I used to buy.

Generally, salt has non-caking agents added to stop the salt from clumping and over time they degrade and lose their freshness. I have been buying Redmond Real Salt for about 10+ years and have never seen a ‘Best by date’. My current bag does not have a best by date. Are you sure it is the Redmond Real Salt?

(Joey) #33

Fairly sure …

We’ve got quite a few bags on hand so hopefully this isn’t fake real salt.

(Bob M) #34

Interesting. My bottle doesn’t have a best by date. I don’t have bags at home, either, to double-check.

But for salt, I’d go waaaaaaaay past the best by date.

(Joey) #35

Yes, same here… if there’s any left in this bag in 2026, we will continue to enjoy it for as long as we last.

That said, we use enough Redmond’s that I doubt our current supply will be around by then.

(Bob M) #36

It’s weird there is even a best by date on it. My bottle says the sole ingredient is “ancient sea salt”. If it’s “ancient”, how can it have a best by date? Wouldn’t it already be way past that date? :grinning:

(Joey) #37

Indeed. Just like the rest of us this salt ain’t getting any younger.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #38

David Mitchell, the British comedian, did one of his famous rants on sell-by dates. “Do you mean to tell me that this cheese has been aged for twenty-five years, but six months after I buy it it will definitely go off?” Or words to that effect. Of course, words on a screen don’t capture Mitchell’s tone of voice and incredulous look.

(Joey) #39

Good one!

In this particular case, one needs to eat this salt promptly, while it’s still ancient. :roll_eyes:

(Allie) #40

On a tangent, what annoys me more is when glucose burners at work get sugar in the coffee…