The work chef told me I wasn't being healthy by ditching the bread

I laughed because I had the exact situation talked about on the podcast a bit ago. Ordered a burger with cheese a fried egg and bacon. When I said no bun he laughed and said “it’s already a Code Red burger”. Our company color codes meal options Green, Yellow & Red based on health. A healthy meal for me is a code red haha. I feel bad for the people ordering turkey burgers on wheat with a quinoa salad!

Awesome…just learned a new code word. Next time I go to restaurant, I will order the “code red” chef’s special.

(Keto in Katy) #3

That looks fantastic.

There is a Red Robin restaurant near me and they have a bacon cheeseburger with a fried egg on top. It is glorious. I get the steamed broccoli and melted butter with it in place of fries.

Yay Code Red :bacon: :egg:

(G. Andrew Duthie) #4

Your comment about the chef at work reminds me of back at the beginning of my IT career, when I did a stint working at the Pentagon. They’ve got a pretty large cafeteria, and one of my favorite stations was the pasta station, where they would fry up pre-cooked pasta in loads of oil and then slather it with cheese. Apart from the pasta, it was probably OK, but given the major portion size on the pasta, combined with the fats, it was a disaster.

Then I’d top that off with a handful of chocolate-covered espresso beans from a gumball machine nearby to offset the starch coma from the pasta. I got away with it for a while because I was in my 20s, but yeah, today, your lunch is what I’d be going for.

Good on you! Fight the power! Code red lunch all the way!

(Jo Lo) #5

You’re gonna die from “lack of carbohydrate disease”.

Just kiddin.

Gum ball machine was the dispenser for your medication me thinks.

(Karen Parrott) #7

Code red. That’s hilarious. Gotta laugh… :joy:

(G. Andrew Duthie) #8

Definitely. There were plenty of afternoons where the espresso beans were the only thing keeping me going. Not a healthy medication, though.

I miss chocolate covered espresso beans. I bet I could make those with Lilly’s chocolate.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #10

Or better yet, with unsweetened baker’s chocolate, for a truly bracing experience! :smiley:

If I ever get an Anova circulator, imma try @richard’s recipe for making real chocolate with it, and perhaps some chocolate covered espresso beans (and maybe some macadamia nuts, too) will be on the menu.

@devhammer and @vega, something to think about with chocolate covered coffee beans…

Usually with coffee beans and nuts, there is a sugar coating for the chocolate to adhere to. Or else, the chocolate just slides off before it hardens. The process involves putting the beans or nuts in a pan with simple syrup (sugar and water), crank up the heat, and with a wooden spoon, mix vigorously, until you evaporate the water, and the beans/nuts are left with a powdery/crystallized coating. They are then ready for coating with chocolate.

Do I have a keto solution? No. Hopefully someone does on this forum. I just wanted to let you know in case you attempt it and then discover the effing chocolate doesn’t stick. That would be so disappointing.

(Meeping up the Science!) #12

Use a salt solution instead? Still crystallization, adds salt which we need, adds contrast to sweetness, etc.

Very clever, Donna!

(G. Andrew Duthie) #14

I was thinking having my kids sand the outside of the beans, one by one, the next time we need a creative punishment for some infraction. :smile: