The TAME Trial - Pharmaceuticals to Avoid Diet Changes

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #1

What is the TAME Trial?

The Targeting Aging with Metformin (TAME) Trial is a series of nationwide, six-year clinical trials at 14 leading research institutions across the country that will engage over 3,000 individuals between the ages of 65-79.

Led by AFAR Scientific Director Nir Barzilai, MD, these trials will test whether those taking metformin experience delayed development or progression of age-related chronic diseases—such as heart disease, cancer, and dementia.

Trying to prove/demonstrate that pharmaceutical intervention in the guise of Metformin is the cure for aging and age-related degeneration? Is it soooooo difficult for people to cut carbs?

TAME metformin clinical trials
(Robin) #2

@amwassil We can’t blame folks for not knowing what they don’t know. I was unaware about carbs even tho I did Atkins years ago. I never really got the memo. It was, oddly enough, my ex of many years who clued me in. He also educated me about heart calcium scans, insulin resistance, the whole shebang. I am lucky to have found out. (Not to mention lucky to be one good terms with my ex!)

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #3

I refer to the folks who ought to know, nutritional scientists. I am not blaming the victims of bad science and pseudoscience of the past half century who ate what they were told to eat presuming the scientists and nutritionists actually knew what they were talking about.

(Robin) #4

Yep, agree. And sorry I misread you.

(UsedToBeT2D) #5

It took me 55 years to break the habit. I think it will become even harder for the millennials. Seems they are even more trusting of the government to tell them what to do. And we know Big Pharma has the government in their pockets.

(UsedToBeT2D) #6

I’m here by the grace of God. I was on the road to meds for the rest of my life, when I developed a chronic condition (nearly a year of terrible belly pain) that the doctors could not diagnose. If they had, I probably would have accepted a medication for it. Instead, I finally resolved to cure myself, and found Keto. It has changed my life immeasurably. I really had to hit rock bottom.

(Bob M) #7

Some people think metformin is life-extending:

https://www.lifeextension.com/magazine/2017/4/metformin-slashes-cancer-risks

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8

I suspect that view comes from an extrapolation of partial data, and that the position will be modified over time as we tease out the nuances.

Remember “Don’t eat extra protein, because it will be turned into sugar in your body”?

There is millions of dollars being spent to study 3000 people aged 65-79 in order to classify metformin as an anti-aging wonder drug. They define age at the center of their root cause wheel with spokes leading to diabetes, dementia, cancer, Alzheimer’s, and heart disease. This opens up a whole new market to sell metformin to “old people”. Thanks NIH for spending our tax dollars seeking ways to further medication use instead of fixing the food plate, or whatever the hell it is now. https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04264897?term=Metformin&recrs=ab&cond=Aging&cntry=US&draw=2&rank=1
There are actually a series of studies underway and starting.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #10

Please post links! See:

Why did this get moved to another area?

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #12

It did not get moved, it’s still here. I created a new topic and linked the article in the ‘News’ subcatagory.

I recommend whenever you want to draw attention to an article or a study link to it. Like this:

Note, some links will not display a nice bordered heading and lede. In that case the easiest thing to do is simply link to it with some anchor text, like this…

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #13

The admin staff strongly discourages having multiple threads on the same topic.

Would people prefer the thread in the News sub-forum to be moved into this thread, or this thread to be moved into the thread in News?

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #14

As there’s not much science yet, I vote for news item. And since @Divingtech actually found the item first, I would not mind changing the OP to reflect that - assuming admins can edit the OP.