The Sugar Epidemic Policy versus Politics Dr. Robert Lustig

(Bunny) #1

Published on Dec 31, 2012 Dr. Robert Lustig, Professor of Pediatric Endocrinology at the University of California, San Francisco, argues that it is time for a paradigm shift in obesity science and policy, away from personal responsibility and toward public health. His presentation elaborates on his contention that sugar, like alcohol, should not be treated as an ordinary commodity on the open market.

Recently featured in the New York Times Magazine, Dr. Lustig has become a leading public health authority on the impact sugar has on fueling the diabetes, obesity and metabolic syndrome epidemics, and on addressing changes in the food environment to reverse these chronic diseases.

'Good' Carbs?
(Karen) #2

Not a huge fan of nanny government. I am anti smoking, anti drinking, anti drugs, anti abortion, but pro personal choice for all adult decisions, even if they run contrary to my personal beliefs. If you want to eat sugar, there will be personal consequences. Sadly.

K

(Jenn Monaghan) #3

I just watched this one (again) this weekend. The biochemistry is so fun. https://youtu.be/dBnniua6-oM

(Arlene) #4

The ball is definitely rolling, and it’s gaining momentum every time another person watches another video exposing the real truth about achieving our best health. 2 Keto Dudes podcast, and others like it have done, and will continue to do so much good fighting for the health of the people, simply by exposing the truth without political or big food funding bias. Thank you to the two Dudes, and all the other warriors changing our world for the better.

(Rob) #5

The key problem here is that all these personal choices have disastrous societal impacts which is a key reason that governments/regulations/etc. exist - to manage these much larger ‘externalities’.

The collapse of national health systems, the sickening of children (who aren’t in control of their destinies), the false claims of entities profiting from sickness, etc. need to be legislated. Given the forces against the ‘truth’ and their resources (all the multi-$bn carb companies and interest groups) you can see the parallels to tobacco - whose second hand smoke is a classic externality requiring legislation. Big Tobacco would have happily continued funding research to show how healthy filter tips made smoking if they weren’t fought tooth and nail (by crusading people/organizations) through government regulation.

Personal responsibility is important but not enough in today’s complex and highly interdependent world (IMHO).

(Bunny) #6

Umbrella Corp. (sugar industry) is too powerful, they will have a team of 100 lobbyists and 40 high priced attorneys (in America), as well as campaign contributions and elbow bumpers to fight you tooth & nail!

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #7

I am glad I’m not the only person who sees the vital role of government in controlling externalities.

Thank you.