The Stevia Deception--book

(Jane Srygley) #1

Has anyone read this book? Any thoughts on this? I read the bit you can see on Amazon and one of the conclusions appears to be epidemiological but there also seems to be a rat study… thoughts?

(Mame) #2

I have not read this book.

But I have seen studies that go one way and the other… so I don’t see the science leading to one conclusion.

My thinking is it’s different for different people. If you like and want to use sweeteners and you can still reach your goals then…why not.
If you judge they are not helpful then give them up.

For me, I use them rarely because I do notice a craving for sweets after alulose. Stevia has never bothered me…

(Doug) #3

It definitely varies, person-to-person, but it seems like an “eternal argument” to me (even if only within the limited timeframe of the past decade/keto/increasing awareness about diet [or maybe a bit longer - going back to cyclamates and saccharin]).

I rarely use artificial sweeteners but don’t worry about it when I do. My own tendency is to think that “You don’t get something for nothing,” i.e. we’re gaining the no sugar/no calories thing, so there must be some compensating loss, somewhere - but I guess that’s just some sort of moralistic theology… :smile: