The Science Behind Dairy Preventing Weight Loss

(Solomom A) #78

Shouldn’t it have been easier staying keto on a low-carb cruise? The organisers have to up their game, I would think.

(Kathy L) #79

There was a group of about 350 low carbers on the cruise. The food was Just regular food with plenty of LC options. She just chose to indulge in carbs. We were not there to police each other, but gain information & support from all the other group members, keto experts & excellent speakers’ presentations. Those speakers presented their info at meetings that were held on our “sailing” days/not while we were in port. It was a great experience! Our dinner companions were all from the LC group - it was so much fun eating with other people on the same journey! No weird looks or explaining to do! But you should have seen our waiter- it took him a while to get the hang of not bringing us the bread basket & instead, more butter!! LOL!

(tulsanurse1) #80

D.d you ever find out if dairy slowed down your loss? I have a feeling its affecting mine?

(Robin Frisella) #81

Please don’t tell me to give up dairy.

Hi all, I have a suspicion that my latest weight loss slowdown has to do with a little whole milk yogurt ‘treat’ I’ve been making in the evenings. I can give that up, but it has me wondering about things like butter (BUTTER! NO!), HWC in the coffee, melted cheesy wonderfulness on whatever tastes great with melted cheese (in other words, everything), and the like.

Is it possible that the yogurt could be the culprit? Please, someone tell me that you’ve had the same difficulty with yogurt alone and not the other wonderful fatty dairy keto staples.

My LC journey is working well; 40 pounds lost, Type 2 A1c now down to 5.4. I get 7-8 hours sleep every night and exercise often. I’ve had this idea trying to pop up, that I’ve been trying to push away I’ll admit, that I see no weight loss on the days after I’ve eaten the yogurt. I’m obviously going to give it up to see what happens, but I just wondered if yogurt, even full-fat, messes with anyone else?
Thanks. Been a lurker for a while and I appreciate the wealth of info, wisdom, and support that you share.

The dairy questions seems to be very individual but there’s only one way to find out :frowning:

Sounds like you’re already going to try this: just cutting the yogurt for two weeks and see if the longer trend fits what you notice in one day. If that works and you’re happy with the direction of things, then you’re probably good.

But, yes, the sad news is that a lot of folks do find that dairy stalls them. If you do a dairy-free test period, you can make clarified butter so that you can keep butter in the mix.

(Robin Frisella) #83

Thank you, Madeleine. I’ll go with clarified butter for now; good idea!

I think that butter is usually the least problematic, so it might be worth it to clarify the butter only if you’re really doing a dairy-free test period. I just mentioned clarifying it so that you wouldn’t be too upset at the idea of skipping dairy for a while.

Hopefully you’ll get some more responses soon, but I remember that there are some people who need to cut out most dairy to re-start the weightloss but they find that they can keep butter in the mix.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #85

I cut out all dairy for two weeks and lost four pounds and feel much better.

(Brian) #86

I know this is an old thread but I did wonder… those who seem to have a problem with dairy, did any of you try going strictly to organic dairy to see if that made any difference?

I know it’s a big can of worms and some would argue that it just doesn’t matter. I’m not so sure that it wouldn’t matter to some. I know of someone close to me that seems to have a reaction to GMO corn and soy where they don’t have nearly (any?) reaction to organic corn or soy. Hmmm. I’ve heard of similar things with wheat in some people. I would guess that perhaps glyphosate is something that some people are more sensitive to and may be reacting to more than the actual corn, soy or wheat and it wouldn’t be out of the realm of possibility that those GMO feeds or foods, what the cows are eating, exposed to glyphosate could potentially pass along something inflammatory through dairy products. And I’m sure it wouldn’t affect everyone the same, just as stevia, for example, doesn’t affect everyone the same way. Heck, we don’t even all taste it quite the same way.

FWIW…

(Edith) #87

Interesting idea.

I have trouble with dairy: it gives me a rash (only on my scalp and back for some reason ) and achy joints. It’s the achy joints that keeps me afraid of giving your idea a try. Otherwise, I think it would be interesting to test organic.

I’ve also heard of people who are fine with raw milk products but not with pasteurized.

(Norma Laming) #88

My thinking, sadly- as someone who just adores cream - is that it’s all too easy to eat way too much dairy of you like it. I’m reluctantly trying not eating dairy at the moment and I’m taking in a lot less in terms of calories. I can eat heavy cream almost by the carton full and I just don’t get that urge with anything else, even cheese.

(Brian) #89

I completely understand the extensive use of heavy whipping cream. I really like the stuff, too. My morning coffee cup… well, it probably holds something closer to 2 to 3 cups, probably has a good 1/4 cup of HWC in it, more if there are seconds. My suppertime coffee is pretty similar. Plus, if I happen to make something with whipped cream for a topping or maybe some of that delicious homemade keto ice cream, that takes even more. (The ice cream takes a whole pint all by itself. Yes, it’s several servings… but not as many as it’s supposed to be…) So I’ve been trying to be mindful that there is probably such a thing as too much, at least for me.

Unfortunately, organic is expensive, something around $4/pint here, and the way I use it, a pint doesn’t last all that long.

I’ve contemplated switching to half n half. My wife likes that in her coffee. I don’t know if the additional carbs would be worse than removing some of the fat. (I know, heresy, but I’m also not convinced that a person can eat, or in this case drink, excessive unlimited fat and still expect the body to burn that plus even more of it’s own reserves.)

Now if I could just find a good keto recipe for Bailey’s coffee creamer, I think I’d be in heaven, especially if it weren’t heavy on much of anything other than being smooth textured and rich flavored. I know… wish in one hand, crap in the other and see which one fills up first. LOL!

(Joy) #90

Wouldn’t one suppose that if cutting out dairy proved a stall-buster for even 10-15% of us there’d be more patter about it online? :thinking:

(Joy) #91

Literally 2 minutes after posting above, this headline popped up on my tablet:

(Norma Laming) #92

I’ve never thought dairy is lethal. If you’re on this website your likely to agree that it’s healthy. I’m sure that it is: CLA, K2 etc etc. My point was that I find it only too easy to overeat cream.

There’s been loads on these message boards about people benefiting from giving up dairy for weight loss

(Susanna Laughlin) #93

Im on a extended dirty fast (I put HWC in my coffee) that tends to “fill me up” but I’m wondering if Im dairy sensitive. Im 40 and 5’5 at 147 in weight. Im thinking of just ditching the coffee since I like the cream more than the coffee. and perhaps adopting hot tea, since I can drink that without cream, and I still get a little caffeine.

(Keto Travels) #94

Green tea saves me from caffeine withdrawals when fasting!

This thread ran for a few years. It is a Show Me The Science Thread , so I think it is still contemporary.

Here is some more information (Oct 2019) linked in to inflammation, insulin resistance and dairy.

(Bunny) #96

The Big Cheese :cheese: Mystery a/k/a Dairy? :mouse:

Could be the way the cheese or dairy is processed?

Hydrolysate vs. Isolate?

Dairy and Its Effect on Insulin Secretion (and What It Means for Your Waistline): “…I think it’s more accurate to say that ACUTE insulin spikes are different from CHRONICALLY elevated insulin levels, especially when it comes to appetite regulation and metabolic derangement. Consider this study, whose authors gave either whey protein isolate or whey protein hydrolysate to subjects 30 minutes before a pizza meal. Subjects given whey protein isolate, but NOT whey protein hydrolysate, reduced post meal blood glucose and insulin levels, and ate less pizza. The whey still released insulin, but it didn’t linger for very long and it led to improved post meal numbers. It wasn’t chronically elevated. The subjects weren’t hungrier, contrary to what you might expect from someone who’d just experienced a jump in insulin. …”

Real naturally aged cheese has almost zero carbs!

See Also:

Biochemist Frederick Sanger: In 1958, he was awarded a Nobel Prize in Chemistry “for his work on the structure of proteins, especially that of insulin”. …” …More

Well, I do know that since I switched to raw cow milk (heated till foaming) for my morning coffee/tea I no longer have the semi-inflamed feeling in my stomach that I get when I use ultra-pasteurized organic HWC and my gut/belly feels less stagnated.

That says a lot, considering I supplement with dry Ginger capsules (some 2-3 gr daily) and also often eat food with fresh Ginger in it - the HWC that is ultra-pasteurized is super … heavy on my system. It may be that it’s got concentrated higher acidic impact - I don’t know.

However regular pasteurized grassfed yogurt feels great. It’s confusing.

I don’t know the difference between home-boiled, pasteurized, and ultra-pasteurized - I just know that my body likes raw milk (cow or goat) much better than the nasty ultra-pasteurized/shelflife of 3 years or whatever stuff.