The Peter Attia Approach

(ianrobo) #1

Some of you may know Training Peaks. It is software that we use (I have been a fan for two years) to measure athletic performance, fatigue and fitness. So they have down a two part piece with Peter.

and it is very very good !

(Richard Morris) #2

awesome - thanks for the links

“Attia … recommends protein to be just high enough to maintain your muscle mass, but not any higher.”

I tried that. It’s not easy tho. I ate at the Australian recommended daily intake of 0.84g/kg LBM for 2 months. For my 80kg LBM that works out to be 67g a day.

I didn’t hit my target every day, some days I was under, some over but over 2 months that was my average … I had book end DEXA scans to see if I would lose significant lean body mass. I didn’t. But what did surprise me was on days when I was low, around 62g, I experienced for the following 24 hours incredible cravings for umami flavoured food.

So I have a theory that 0.78g/kg LBM is my personal level (0.78g/kg x 80kg = 62.4g). The only way to know for sure is to do a DEXA, eat at 63g for a month, do a second DEXA, eat at 61g for a month, do a third DEXA. If I lose Lean mass in the second month … that will be my personal target for maintenance.

BTW: I put my data into Ted Naiman’s calculator the other day and it said I should eat 264g of protein a day for weight loss. Yeah, nah.

(ianrobo) #3

The protein question again Richard !!

For me I love my meat, I have loads of it and because of the exercise I feel no problem with it. If Was more sedentary then the chances ar eI would eat less anyway.