“The Perfect Health Diet” (keto with 600 glucose calories per day)

(Bunny) #1

I (a hardcore skeptic) am almost sold on it, this makes more sense to me than (and by far supercedes) anything I have ever read on the science of keto! I am not sifting any pasta with this which is extremely rare for me!

Any critiques?

A quote from their webpage that caught my interest (really has me floored when looking at the credentials and merit of Shou-Ching Shih Jaminet, Ph.D?).

”… Jan Kwasniewski developed his Optimal Diet something like 40 years ago and it has become extremely popular in Poland.

Kwasniewski recommended that adults should eat in the ratio

60 g protein – 180 g fat – 30 g carbohydrate (Source).

In terms of calories this is roughly 240 calories protein / 1640 calories fat / 120 calories carbohydrate on a 2000 calorie diet.

The Perfect Health Diet proportions are more like 300 calories protein / 1300 calories fat / 400 calories carbohydrate. So the diets would be similar if about 300 calories, or 15% of energy, were moved from fat to carbohydrate in the form of glucose/starch (not fructose/sugar!).

Note that we recommend obtaining at least 600 calories per day from protein and carbs combined. This ensures adequate protein for manufacture of glucose and ketones in the liver. But the Optimal Diet prescribes only 360 calories total (less in women), suggesting that gluconeogenesis cannot, over any long-term period, fully make up for the dietary glucose deficiency.

In the book, we note that a healthy body typically utilizes and needs about 600 glucose calories per day. On the Bellevue All-Meat Trial in 1928 Vilhjalmur Stefansson ate 550 protein calories per day, which is probably a good estimate for the minimum intake needed to prevent lean tissue loss on a zero-carb diet.

With only 360 carb plus protein calories per day, the Optimal Diet forces ketosis if lean tissue is to be preserved. Since at most 200 to 300 calories per day of the glucose requirement can be displaced by ketones, the Optimal Diet is living right on the margin of glucose deficiency. …” http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2010/11/dangers-of-zero-carb-diets-ii-mucus-deficiency-and-gastrointestinal-cancers/

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/about/

Amazon Costomer Reviews
https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/145169914X/ref=assoc_res_sw_us_dka_crp_c_ratings?imprToken=WEPgLNAZSJM-3ASHwJYDTQ&slotNum=0&tag=perheadie-20&linkCode=w13&linkId=ELFGUB5BMXLLUNLW&ref-refURL=http%3A%2F%2Fperfecthealthdiet.com%2Fabout%2F

How can I want to become ketogenic again?

Following!

I found this interesting a few months ago and when I still thought I would one day (40 lbs or 50 lbs from now) eat carbs again this looked like an interesting option. However, I first of all do not think I will ever be able to eat that many carbs in day regularly. As it is, when I have a few too many nuts or berries I am not in ketosis. Second, I have to wonder about such a general recommendation. A 100 lb 5’2 woman has the same requirements as a 6’4 200 lb man?

(Bunny) #4

How Many Calories Are in One Gram of Sugar?

Multiply the number of sugar grams by 3.87 to find out the total number of sugar calories a product contains.

(Rob) #6

Isn’t this just (almost) Keto for healthy folks? It’s about 100g of carbs which is still low carb compared to a SAD and people without deranged metabolisms can get into ketosis at this level so may well experience many of the benefits.
Regardless, keeping to 100g of carbs if healthy, should be very good for many people not in need of the whole (low carb) Keto enchilada. It will probably help those with metabolic illness along the lines of Paleo AIP if the food lists and allowable carbs are ‘OK’ (low GI/GL etc.).

It’s not perfect for me and probably not for many others here and the zero carb scare-mongering ‘science’ clearly flies in the face of actual evidence from tens of thousands of ZC adherents who are not losing LBM etc.

Seems like another money grab in the ‘diet of the week’ stakes where there are unlimited runners and riders and no time limit on the course. Most of these diets are built on the back of implausible ‘mini-science’ since that is what differentiates them from all the other diet plans. ‘Mini-science’ for me is the grasping of one minor but interesting science nugget (like green tea catechins or cumin’s thermogenic effects) and spinning a more or less sensible diet around it depending on whether the author actually understands human biology and the hormonal metabolism. To me it’s like putting slightly better tires or polishing the bodywork of a car to improve performance when the engine has blown its gaskets and exhaust and is running way too rich.
This time of year there are ‘best diet’ TV shows, magazine articles flooding the media and they all want a range of diets from safe & recommended by the powers that be, to fun, to kooky all the way to dangerous (like Keto :dizzy_face:) because it makes for more compelling content to the desperate hordes who have failed on 10 diets before and have a finite amount of will power to brute force it through another fad up until early March.
It isn’t sexy to say ‘carbs are long term toxic to most humans… eat accordingly’ plus the entrenched powers have so much to lose when it becomes common knowledge that we will be in this obfuscating situation for a long time to come.

This seems to turn on whether you accept that there is a minimum daily carb requirement in typical adults. The keto adherents believe that glucose/carbs are simply not a required nutrient. These guys believe otherwise. The problem with all of this is the word believe. I personally cannot understand why there is no absolute scientific authority on our MDRs but there is not

(Bunny) #8

Jan Kwasniewski developed the “optimal diet” that they were quoting on the webpage but the diet resulted in stomach cancer (so they say)…

Isn’t that the same diet as keto?

(Bunny) #10

Optimal Diet (not keto, too much glucose with fat))
60 g protein (sugar) – 180 g fat — 30 g carbohydrate <== almost keto

Keto
3-to-4 oz. protein (anymore than that turns to sugar in the body = gluconeogenesis) — 20-to-30 g fat — 20-30-to-40 g (limit) carbohydrate

Fully Keto Adapted up to 100 g carbohydrates (depends on the person’s metabolism)

“The Perfect Diet” still looks a little too sugary if your not fully keto adapted

As an average height and build woman I eat about 60g of protein a day on keto (1g per kilo of LBM or ideal weight which for me is about 65k), whle I try to get under 20g carbs I rarely succeed and I do not measure my fat. So should I be worried about stomach cancer?

(Ken) #12

Er, ummmm. Preposterous:

Keto
3-to-4 oz. protein (anymore than that turns to sugar in the body = gluconeogenesis) — 20-to-30 g fat — 20-30-to-40 g (limit) carbohydrate
Fully Keto Adapted up to 100 g carbohydrates (depends on the person’s metabolism)

I’ve eaten waaayyy outside those paramaters and have remained both lipolytic and ketogenic. I suggest you stop pushing dogma as fact.

(TJ Borden) #13

The math on the chart doesn’t seem to add up. If you were to have 1 lb of potatoes AND 1 lb of fruit, you’d be way over 100 grams of sugar.

With the exception of dairy in the “pleasure” foods section, the chart just looks paleo to me.

(TJ Borden) #14

Worst case scenario: the science is wrong and I’m on track for the possibility of stomach cancer. I’ll still take that over the certainty of diabetes I was on track to.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #15

There’s no such thing as ‘keto with 600 glucose calories per day’.

(Bob M) #16

150g carbs per day. That would be tough. Maybe if you’re running 5+ miles per day, biking 20+ miles per day, etc.