The only thing that makes SV tricky

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #1

Okay, so its true that “temp” regulates doneness, and that time regulates tenderness. Easy peasy, right ?

The only problem, is that one totally affects the other. So while my Beef Brisket done for 16 hrs at 135, comes out fall apart tender, lowering the temp to 131, still cooked for 16 hrs, although rarer, comes out kind of tough :frowning: I learned this the hard way, after getting my SV brisket and tri tip dialed in at 135 F… then thinking, maybe I’ll just go a bit rarer by lowering the temp a few degrees…

Not a problem if you already know this, but by reducing the temp only 4 degrees, it may need to be cooked for 26-32 hrs, for the same tenderness.

Just throwing this out there for anybody new to SV cooking.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #2

Also time and temperature controls food safety. But that those temps and times the food is safe.

I’m just saying for those that are new to this way of cooking.

(jcshrunked) #3

Very useful info to me. :+1:t3: Whats the brisket recipe?

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #4

Well, I like to keep it simple. I just pour about 1 cup of Kikomans low sodium soy sauce in the bag (btw, I’m not one of these people who is worried about too much sodium… Soy sauce is just really salty, and a 8-12 hr marinade in regular SS can almost be too salty!
Then I pour a generous amount of granulated garlic, and black pepper in the bag.
Throw the bag back in the fridge, preferably overnight.
Then, I SV it at 135 F for 16-18 hrs. Bam :slightly_smiling_face:

Oh, of course when you pull it out of the SV bag you still need to sear it. Many ways do that. But I LOVE my Harbor Freight weed torch. Super fast, easy, and reliable.

Note: the first shot was just to seperate the two different angles of grain in the meat. When slicing for the plate, you should always cut completely across the grain for Max tenderness :slightly_smiling_face: