The Oldest Cure in the World

fasting

(Laurie) #1

"The Oldest Cure in the World, Adventures in the Art and Science of Fasting " by Steve Hendricks

Sharing this nice read about some of the history of fasting. Sadly, as much as he points out how stubborn the establishment is at ignoring results that disagree with their preconceived notions, he still pushes a plant based diet because it’s been “proven” that red meat and saturated fat is bad for you.

Still a very good read of case studies. and it’s helping me accomplish some fasting of my own.

enjoy

Thanks! Found it in my local library’s ebooks, will take a gander.

(KM) #3

I’ve been working my way through it. The history and personal information is quite interesting. However, statements like, “insulin is the key that unlocks the cell so glucose can get in, and saturated fat gums up the lock”, as if this were a fact, with no supporting footnote or other data because everybody knows saturated fat is oh please God kill me now, make me a bit dubious about all the other claims, which is a shame. Yes, he is definitely beating the vegan drum, and I really wish he would just leave that part alone and concentrate on the truth about what the fasting is doing.

(Bob M) #4

Well, if you believe in the protons theory by Hyperlipid, he’s not far off. At least theoretically, saturated fat is supposed to cause fat cells to become insulin resistant, meaning they send out an “I’m full” signal. Glucose therefore wouldn’t get in.

Which is a good thing in this case – fat cells are full and therefore (the theory goes) you’re eating less.

The main thing is that this seems to be supported by studies on mice, or at least Petro D. interprets things to support his theories. The bad thing is that in real humans, like me, it doesn’t seem to work. Or at least I can eat quite a bit of saturated fat and not really get any signals of satiety. So, I’m not sure what’s happening at a fat cell level actually goes up the chain to the whole body level.

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #5

I knew from an early age I didn’t seem to get an, ‘I’m Full’ signal. Remember Cool Hand Luke? I did those ridiculous food eating competitions. I thought it was fun, I could eat silly amounts… then I got fat and it wasn’t so fun.

Is it bad that I read the title of this thread and immediately thought it was alcohol related?

:flushed:

(Laurie) #7

the proton’s theory an interesting theory, I didn’t know there was even tenuous support for the author’s comment on fat interfering with insulin signaling, but I react like you do: I can pretty much eat unlimited amounts of fat and not feel full.

His bias is pretty much why this forum is the only place i’ve shared the book. I think the people here have enough education to put his bias aside and enjoy the history and case studies

(Bob M) #8

Even though I think fasting can be overdone (and I did too much of it one time myself), I still feel there are benefits to fasting. I still try to get in a 36 hour fast when I can, and I want to get back to a multiple-day fast at some point.

But just thinking about the “I’m full” signal is interesting. Don’t know if anyone watches America’s Test Kitchen on PBS in the US, but the vast majority of people on there are quite heavy. But some are thin. It seems like there are thin or heavy with no in-between.

Saw one thin woman redoing chocolate chip cookies so that they would be softer when they were made into ice cream cookie sandwiches (ice cream between two cookies, with chocolate chips on the outside of the ice cream). She’s probably the person who eats 1/2 a sandwich or maybe a single one, whereas I’d eat one, say “that was good, think I’ll have another”, “that was good too, think I’ll have another”… with basically no satiety. I’d have to physically stop myself, because I wouldn’t be full.

Why can some people turn off their eating/get satiety, and others can’t? I don’t have an explanation.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

In my case, it’s not so much a feeling of being full, but one of having had enough and not wanting more.

(Laurie) #10

I’ve felt that with fatty meats [ fatty pork ribs or beef ribeye steaks], but the fatty coffee or the 'fat bombs ’ i’d eat when i first started keto didnt seem stop my urge to forage in the kitchen for more. I guess I need some protein with my fat to feel satiated.

There is an ‘old wives’ tale’ (apologies for ancient analogy) physiological agrument here, too.

Have you trained your stomach to be smaller? i.e. smaller portions, less frequent portions?
1 or 2 meals a day? What size of meals…normal size; or feeding as much into yourself as possible within that window?

It all adds up. But after a while (at least for me and certainly others on here), things even themselves out.

Stick to the plan, it’ll balance out for the better :+1:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #12

If the researchers Raubenheimer and Simpson are to be believed, then we need a certain amount of protein daily and will be hungry till we get it.

We say “eat fat to satiety,” but that presumes you are getting enough protein first. Otherwise, no amount of fat will satisfy. But get enough proten, and then you can eat fat and be satisfied.

(Laurie) #13

My stomach is much smaller than it used to be. There was a time I enjoyed huge meals, so it might now just be average. Currently I’d say I graze too much. Also, Food is still “comfort”, so I have to develop other strategies to deal with stress. I’ve getting better at resolving to just eat at meals, but there’s still lots of room for improvement

"We say “eat fat to satiety,” but that presumes you are getting enough protein first. Otherwise, no amount of fat will satisfy. But get enough protein, and then you can eat fat and be satisfied"

That may be my answer. I’ll make sure to have a piece of leftover meat when I have coffee and see how I fare.

Thank-you both

Not a problem, you take care x.