The Offal Challenge

That’s so easy! I wasn’t expecting it to be like that.

Now, I need to know what to expect when I thaw this big ass piece of liver out. Will it smell? Will my family desert me? Will it be in a pile of blood?

(bulkbiker) #22

I have never even seen beef liver over here so can;t be much help… I’d cover it before letting anyone else see it as it’s usually quite bloody…even when fresh so I’m guessing frozen will be very red…

(Meeping up the Science!) #23

I actually don’t eat a lot of liver. My favorite is probably beef heart, which is surprisingly steak-like and wonderful grilled or even slowly braised in wine or other aromatics. It’s a wonderful meat that’s rarely eaten.

The best secret for cooking beef or other large animal liver is to soak it in milk before cooking. I am not sure if this changes the carb content? However, it makes it more palatable to people who aren’t used to eating it.

Pate is another great application for liver, and is very keto/high fat.

Thanks, Donna. We sometimes process our dairy cows when they get to the end of their lives, which means a plethora of odds and ends sometimes. We happen to have a lot of liver at the moment in the deep freeze.

So @Brenda do you have a suggestion for a time line for this challenge? I’m getting so eager to do this :smile:
And by the way… you all have eaten offal way more than you think… It’s quite common to use in hot dogs and other “meat” products. Lamb-kidneys and hearts are really good fried in butter… use spices after your own taste. Chopped up liver with bacon and onion is also good. I bet we could make some really tasty modern keto offal deliciousness between all of us, during this challenge.

Edit: Here are a lot of good ideas to work with. We may have to adjust some of these to keto. RECIPES!

I just bought some chorizo today. It contains pork salivary glands, lymph nodes, and fat. Now there’s something you don’t want to read if you’re not trying to find offal. I also got more summer sausage, that doesn’t list the exact body parts involved, along with some cracklins. And some more beef heart. The fajitas were yum.

(Joan Hulvey) #27

I guess I do this all of the time. I grind together raw heart, liver, sometimes kidney, tongue, gizzards, whatever I can get from good sources – add it to a good ground beef with spices, salt, herbs. Then portion it into tiny bits and freeze. Swallow a few each day as a vitamin. Grass fed sources.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #28

@Donna what are your thoughts on this one?
I’d like to set this up after KetoFest.
And this one won’t be 30 days. Or zero spices :slight_smile:

(Joan Hulvey) #29

Brenda Zorn -
I immediately thought of you when Dominic D’Agostino relayed his 10-day feeding regimen while undergoing this NASA undersea extreme habitat mission:

“Intermittent fasting every other day. Typically eat small keto meal + ketone supplements prior to doing long EVA excursions. On days working inside the habitat it’s mentally demanding so I prefer to fast or just consume only keto supplements. Most of my eating is done during the two to three hours of debriefing at night.”

Smacks of a Zorn challenge! (even without the exogenous ketones)

Want to try it in the future? Could the parameters be simplified as one meal every other day for 10 days?
It would be cool to compare blood work results with some of what NASA is doing on Dom.

In case anyone doesn’t know about the NASA ketogenic experiment, here’s the link:

(Sondra Rose) #30

Nice!

I already eat pate every day, so I am excited to see more folk upping their nutrient density. :slight_smile:

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #31

You said “nutrient density”. Lol

I smell a Marty Kendall

(Meeping up the Science!) #32

1 week challenge. Only rule is offal 1x a day.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #33

THAT’S NO CHALLENGE
I DO THAT NOW

…lol

LOL :joy:
I dare say you don’t speak for all of us :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #35

@Donna
How about a different TYPE of offal each day?
Monday. Liver.
Tuesday. Heart.
Wednesday. Kidney.
Thursday. Tripe.
Friday. Buttholes.
Saturday. Gizzard.
Sunday. Tongue.

:zornface:

@richard, you in? How about you @Daisy?

Erm… let me think about that one!

Eeeehm… now you lost my interest at least.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #38

CHICKENS!!!

I’ll eat them!

Nah, i can do limited types but I’m going to try new ways of preparing things. I gotta get my liver figured out better.