The Magic Pill

What other keto documentaries are there? I’d like to watch them :slight_smile:

I’d start here:

I agree that this is the best keto/LCHF films out there, and the cinematography and directing are super smart/ketogenic (very very free from the conscious & unconscious biases of more conventional commercial documentaries). I love this film even a bit more than Cereal Killers… why?

1. It does an fantastic job at engaging a huge range of folks on food-as-medicine: the typical sad S.A.D. folks in suburbs and cities, people of color - both industrial and traditional Native & Aboriginal communities, current paleo/real foods people passionate about nourishing traditions and self-healing, parents of autistic kids - and even a former longtime vegan.

2. Way more females in it - diversely represented in age ranges and cultural backgrounds - with cinematic respect and directorial humility (waaaaaay better than the film Fasting did on the sex equity front imho).

3. The focus on the tremendous aboriginal Australian women speaking about traditional food ways, their modern diseases, and how they feel after two weeks of going back to traditional LCHF eating is really POWERFUL. Also, the protocol incorporated into the film’s intro was excellently done - as it should be, all the time - and often isn’t.

4. The beautiful education by Joel Salatin about grassfed livestock, the life cycle in the living land, and our relationship with the natural & real world of biology.

5. It presents powerful befores and afters of diverse people & issues - and really documents the awesomeness TRANSFORMATION - especially with the autistic children <3 <3 <3

6. Does a great job at reporting on the realities of reducing or eliminating medications and reclaiming the body for a huge ranges of ages.

7. Does a likewise great job at documenting the saga that South African keto physician Tim Noakes went through in having his medical license put in question by corporate funded interests seeking to maintain control on dietary messages - and how he was vindicated (they appealed though, lordt).

All in all, quite strategic and roots-oriented/radical - like I like it!

This is now my go-to community education resource to share whenever health/food/human development come up. I wish the whole film-watching world would see this! Really hoping it can be shown on PBS and BBC/Channel 4, etc. Wouldn’t that be fantastic?

(CharleyD) #24

Dr Cate Shanahan was involved, that’s her magic touch :heart_eyes:

(Sophie) #25

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. It was nice to see something positive about Keto for a change!

I watched it online, found it for free somewhere, shh :stuck_out_tongue:

It was a great documentary, I learned a couple new things.

(Brian) #27

You’re holding out on us!! Would love to know where.

Sent you a private message.

(Brian) #29

Just watched the movie this morning. Wow! Seriously, I thought that it was really good. I didn’t come away from it feeling like it had condemned everyone who has a different point of view. But I thought it did an excellent job of suggesting that a low-carb way of eating is a viable alternative to the high-carb low-fat way of eating that’s been drilled into us for decades.

I appreciated the real life examples of the numerous people that it followed even for just a short time and the improvements that a turnaround in their eating habits made in the lives that they are living. (I even heard the “cure” word, I hope that doesn’t get somebody a lawsuit.)

I was touched by the examples of a couple of kids with really tough problems that showed so much improvement. I have a brother who was mentally and physically handicapped and wonder what might have become of him had this been known to our family 60 years ago.

There are some things that I’m not in total agreement with but those are certainly not the main theme of the movie.

I’m glad I watched.

(Robert) #30

I Just watched the movie with my wife. I have been Keto since January but T2D for over 20 years. She is moving in the correct direction.
She was not thrilled when I asked her but more than likely did to be nice.
I thought it was very well done. It was great to see some of the faces of the experts I trust.
My wife liked it allot! She said she has a better understanding of what better eating should be.

I know the movie was made to help everyone understand the way the government, Medical and Pharmaceutic Industries and Big Business have been using us for the past 50 years, but it really helped my wife so I say it was a huge success.

Did anyone notice the bread she made on The Magic Pill? I looked it up and tried it and I must say, it’s the best keto baked good I’ve had.

http://www.kosherketogenic.com/index.php/the-diet/recipes/fat-bread

(Brian) #32

I did notice it but hadn’t gone looking for exactly what it was. Thanks for finding it for us!

I make fun of people who say “amazing” too often but it’s pretty amazing. I’d describe it as a mix between banana bread, cornbread, and pound cake. It stays together very well and could easily be used for a sandwich. I made toast out of it and was very impressed. It does require fairly expensive ingredients but I’m convinced it’s worth it. As for the coconut butter, I’m looking into making my own. Essentially you just throw shredded coconut in a food processor and let it run for about 10 minutes. That’s better than $10 per jar. And I find the process of softening the stuff from the jar to be a PITA.

(Sarah) #34

Would you mind sending me the link too?
Can’t wait to watch! :slight_smile:

PM’ed you :slight_smile:

Either my computer or that website has malware, as that page is giving me a massive warning page about ‘deceptive site’ etc - despite other pages on her website behaving fine.

Any chance you could copy/paste the recipe in here…? :slight_smile:

Fat Bread

Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 35 minutes Servings: Serving size 21g Source: kosherketogenic.com

Ingredients

coconut oil (for greasing the loaf pan)

1 cup whole macadamia nuts

1 cup coconut butter

5 large eggs (50g each)

1/2 teaspoon sea salt (3g)

2 tablespoons lemon juice (30ml)

1 rounded teaspoon baking soda (6g)

1-8 1/2" x 4" loaf pan

Directions

(If a loaf is cut into 22 slices, each slice contains 1g of Carbs per slice.)

Place the Macadamia nuts into a typical large food processor and process on high to achieve a part butter, part chunky nut meal.

While still running the processor, drop one egg down the chute and wait for the sound to stabilize to a smooth sound (about 20-30 seconds). Then do the same with the second egg. Once the processor is running smoothly again add the remaining 3 eggs down the chute till you have a very smooth batter.

Turn off the processor and take a spatula and scrape the walls and bottom edges of the processor bowl to make sure that no large chunks are stuck and it is well mixed. Add the coconut butter, and sea salt. Turn it on again and let the added ingredients incorporate. When it’s well mixed (about 1/2 a minute), pour the lemon juice down the chute and then the baking soda. Mix for a few more seconds.

Place the batter in a greased standard 8 1/2" bread pan. Bake at 350’ for 35 minutes. (Shorten the baking time when using the doughnut or mini challah pan.) When it’s cool enough to handle, remove it from the bread pan and let it completely cool on a cake rack.

Total weight of batter before baking 630g after baking 547g.

Place 52g of batter in each hole of the doughnut pan (6 doughnuts per pan) at the end of baking you will have a 46g bagels. This recipe made 12 bagels.

The Challah sticks (or Hot dog buns which ever way you want to use them) are 50g each (after baking). This makes 11 sticks.

Nutrition

Calories 131 Calories from fat 113
Saturated Fat 6.8g
Cholesterol 42mg
Sodium 103mg
Potassium 42mg
Total Carbohydrates 3.4g
Dietary Fiber 2.4g
Sugars 1.0g
Protein 2.6g
Saturated Fat 144.5g
Trans Fat 0.0g
Cholesterol 930mg
Sodium 3168mg
Potassium 925mg
Total Carbohydrates 73.1g
Dietary Fiber 50.4g
Net Carbs 22.7g
Sugars 21.8g
Protein 56.0g

Thanks a million!!!

Raw macadamia nuts or roasted? Any difference?

I used roasted. Not sure if it matters but roasted worked great.