The Last Conversation you’ll ever need to have about eating right

conversationstarters
keto
science
news

(Becky Searls) #1

My husband shared this article with me today and while it isn’t in direct contrast to many of the tenets of a high quality ketogenic diet there are many mentions of limiting animal products / saturated fat sources etc.

Do y’all think this is simply conventional medicine prevailing or is it an example of how if you eat keto foods but at the exclusion of SAD, the same sources that may be inflammatory and problematic paired with carbs and sugar are no longer an issue?

Although I don’t agree with everything in the article it was a fun read and I like to challenge my preconceptions from time to time. Would love to hear from others on their thoughts. I do feel like it completely glossed over the benefits of fasting!

(karen) #2

“Just tell me. Ethical concerns aside, which diet is the best: vegan, vegetarian, or omnivorous?”

“We don’t know, because the study to prove that any one diet is “best” for human health hasn’t been done, and probably can’t be. So, for our health, the “best” diet is a theme: an emphasis on vegetables, fruits, whole grains, beans, lentils, nuts, seeds.”

I’m out. Call me a cantankerous old fart, but the moment I see “whole grains”, I’m done. ETA: I did read the rest of the article, IMO it’s completely anti keto and anti fasting. What is seems like is the usual water-clouding “we just don’t know, there isn’t enough evidence so keep doing what you’re doing”’ four dog defense for a WOE that has been proven less than optimal.

(Anderson Herzogenrath Da Costa) #3

The author is a journalist that sells vegetarian and vegan cookbooks. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

(Todd Allen) #4

It’s a popular point of view, Michael Pollan and many others push a similar whole, natural, unprocessed mostly plant based diet. I think they sway far more people than the preachy vegan propagandists. However, I think the institutionalized demonization of saturated fat and cholesterol is largely to blame for the belief that plants should be the bulk of the diet. I was previously swayed by that and ate mostly plants for too many years. But through personal experimentation have found I do better with much of my protein from animal sources as well as much of my fats. There are plenty of people who do well eating mostly plants but I don’t believe there is sufficient evidence to suggest it is the best way for most people to eat. People would be better served by the suggestion to experiment and see what works for them as opposed to following someone else’s idea of what is optimal.

(Bunny) #5

A very tiny % of fat and protein and lots of plant based vegetation in my keto plan including fruit!

PERCENT AND ACTUAL OR IMAGINED EXTRAPOLATED AMOUNT ARE TWO DIFFERENT THINGS!

When people see or hear the terms “LCHF” or “Ketogenic Diet” they think we are drinking or eating fat by the gallons and eating endless cuts of meat.

3 or 4 oz. of protein is not a lot! (Offal/Ofal in my case)

YOU NEED VERY LITTLE FAT OR PROTEIN TO MAINTAIN A KETOGENIC DIET!

If your highly physically active or an athlete you can switch out to burning glucose/sugar/carbs (TRAIN LOW/COMPETE HIGH) vs. Edogenous Ketones/Exogenous Ketones

People DO get the wrong idea about the ketogenic diet and that is:

COPIUS AMOUNTS OF FAT INGESTION ADVOCATED BY BRO-SCIENCE IS TO SATIATE THE APPETITE AND SERVES NO OTHER PURPOSE[1] OTHER THAN INHIBITING ENDOGENOUS FAT LOSS!

IF YOUR HIGHLY PHYSICALLY ACTIVE AND HAVE VERY LITTLE ENDOGENOUS BODY FAT THEN EXTRA EXOGENOUS DIETARY FAT INGESTION IS NEEDED FOR ENERGY WHEN GLYCOGEN STORES GET DEPLETED TO PRODUCE KETONES FOR ENERGY OR CHOOSING THE GLUCOSE ROUTE!

footnote:
[1] cholesterol is needed to produce/manufacture the hormones (i.e. GH et al.) to oxidize the fat (exogenous/endogenous via hepatic/liver)!

(Bacon for the Win) #6

thanks for taking one for the team. Now I don’t have to read it :smile: