The Heavy Burden of Obesity - OECD

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #1

256 pages. Just throwing this out for anyone who cares to read it.

Almost one in four people in OECD countries is currently obese. This epidemic has far-reaching consequences for individuals, society and the economy. Using microsimulation modelling, this book analyses the burden of obesity and overweight in 52 countries (including OECD, European Union and G20 countries), showing how overweight reduces life expectancy, increases healthcare costs, decreases workers’ productivity and lowers GDP.

('Jackie P') #2

Thank you, I will bookmark for reading later! Please tell me is not going to tell me to eat wholegrains and avoid saturated fat :no_mouth:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #3

I will be very surprised if it does not do that exactly. Near the beginning the authors state “The OECD maintains a close partnership with the World Health Organization (WHO) in its work on public health…” Here’s what the WHO recommends:

From the bulleted list of ‘Key Facts’ right at the top:

Energy intake (calories) should be in balance with energy expenditure. To avoid unhealthy weight gain, total fat should not exceed 30% of total energy intake (1, 2, 3). Intake of saturated fats should be less than 10% of total energy intake, and intake of trans-fats less than 1% of total energy intake, with a shift in fat consumption away from saturated fats and trans-fats to unsaturated fats (3), and towards the goal of eliminating industrially-produced trans-fats (4, 5, 6).

(PJ) #4

Sigh.

Yeah, it affects economies too imo:

There is less ambition, less industriousness, less invention, less ‘immunity’ for social and health and environmental challenges, less ‘recovery’ from social and health and environmental challenges, more mental health issues across the spectrum, and more, when people have less energy and less strength and feel more crappy and die earlier.

Which means it also has political fallout: one way to make any peoples utterly reliant on and at the mercy of their government (subjects not citizens) is to render them weak, and dependent on a system someone else controls to take care of them, which also creates an infinite pocketbook for those powerful enough to get in the loop.

There are people in incredibly poor countries who are malnourished – and obese. It is just twisted and sick that 50 years after it was already totally wrong, powers like WHO are still pretending it’s just gluttony and sloth behind the genetic response to the common food supplies.