The Guardian declares no evidence for keto

(Empress of the Unexpected) #105

Veganism by itself seems unhealthy - I can only imagine what the worst advice would advocate.

Usually along the lines of ‘you don’t actually need protein’, ‘all of your food should be raw’ & ‘you don’t need to supplement B12’. Crazy crap that can do irreparable harm.

It can be done but it requires a lot of knowledge & effort.

Not to mention all the cases where Vegan parents killed their children by withholding nutrients because the sources “weren’t Vegan.”

(Carl Keller) #108

I work with a friend that I’ve known a long time and he recently became vegan. He’s gone from overweight to skinny as a rail and often complains about feeling like crap. We keep our opposing views of food mostly to ourselves.

Once, I was talking about keto to a mutual friend as the vegan friend was listening over my shoulder. I felt like I was walking on eggshells.

(Running from stupidity) #109

That’s been my thesis for decades, yeah.

(Carl Keller) #110

Or a .20 blood alcohol level.

Finally, a place you can be yourself. :wink:

(Dan) #112

In the U.S. it is the dietitians who give food science a bad name. Dietitians have been co-opted by food companies such as Coca Cola, Pepsi and General Mills. This had lead to very poor dietary recommendations for institutions, e.g hospitals

The Guardian is a fantastic newspaper: it’s essentially a charity, no shareholders pushing drivel or their own political agenda.

But veganism is current, hip, popular: I’m guessing the staff in the “food office” are all vegan and think they are going to save the world. Hey ho.

But the Guardian did publish this series of intelligent critiques of their ill thought article.

Carbohydrates, fibre and a healthy diet

(bulkbiker) #114

They are readers letters and appear on the letters page, they in no way will appear as a headline anywhere in either the physical paper or online.
The Guardian has become a vegan supporting organ unfortunately…probably down to George Monbiot and his “eco” credentials and their health editor Sarah Boseley is fast becoming as anti low carb/keto as Jillian Michaels…
Evidence based journalism seems to have been replaced by agendas.

(Crow T. Robot) #115

Even then that might only be true for some people, not everyone and not forever.
I used to think it was just a question of knowing how to supplement correctly, but there are just too many high profile vegans on YouTube and other places giving up because of ruined health.

Well yeah - as we all know too well there is no one diet that is suitable for everyone.

(Running from stupidity) #117

That happened a while back, and then they went public with it when they launched the “Keep it in the ground” (anti-fossil fuel) campaign, where they declared that they were pursuing an advocacy journalism approach. (IIRC, Alan Rusbridger was the editor at that point, and this was basically his last hurrah before he retired.) To give them some props, at least they declared it in that instance.

But the idea that they’re a charity is utterly laughable. They have a MASSIVE trust fund (The Scott Trust, worth a billion pounds) that supports them. Charity they are NOT.

(bulkbiker) #118

And the money in that fund came mainly from “Autotrader” no fossil fuel agenda there then… although I guess by reselling used vehicles they could claim to be furthering the green agenda!!!