The Guardian declares no evidence for keto

(Empress of the Unexpected) #85

This place is crazy. Login out!

(Running from stupidity) #86

Of earth?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #87

Probably heading back to the mother ship. :grin:

(Carl Keller) #88

In the past 6 months,The Guardian has put out at least 5 articles that try to demonize keto. Pretty soon I expect the paper will have a permanent anti-keto section.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #89

I’m not sure of the utility of that. Once you’ve stated that keto is both unsustainable and deadly, what more is there to say? :rofl:

(Carl Keller) #90

One would think that, but TG finds the need to do it regularly, of late. May as well make it a regular feature to appease the sponsors.

(Running from stupidity) #91

The same thing, over and over, dressed up as new articles.

They could get worse. I remember an article accusing mean Ketoers of taking away blood sugar testing strips from diabetics (because there’s no overlap y’know). I suspect that sort of direction will be the new hotness soon.

(Jane) #93

You keep repeating it over and over and beating that drum until it is “common knowledge”.

(Mark Rhodes) #94

You are definitely someone I want at a party. Your bracketed rejoinders are causing me to snicker under my breath in my cubicle.

(Mark Rhodes) #95

Why…no. They are committed individuals unlike us keto zealots.

(The o-chem police are coming) #96

Seems like an expected response. Millions of people have their livelihood based on conventional wisdom. People’s whole paradigm of health and nutrition is based on the same. Keto is disruptive, and despite the relatively decent science behind it and the numerous antecdotal positive responses, we don’t have large numbers of people doing it for decades. Current Keto dieters are early adopters. I agree, no need to fight the battle of conventional wisdom. Just do what works for you, lead by example and expect your mom to send you links to this stuff.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #97

Just out of curiosity - I’ve never even met a vegan, so never had to ponder the subject (except I think they are nuts in thinking what they are doing is “healthy”) Everyone in Southern California seems to do their own thing, so no one diet seems to stand out. Everyone I am close to is completely supportive, and a few are even trying to lower their carb intake.

I get very disturbed when I hear posters say that they gave up keto just to fit in - that’s nuts.

Jump in and correct me if need be, I have a growing interest in the subject. Is the veganism movement more aggressive, for lack of a better word in Australia, Britain, etc? Maybe I’ve spent the last few years under a rock, but I’m not aware of any pressure here (politically). (Though it’s SoCal so we have obviously have had vegans for years)

I apologize for the bad wording but hopefully you can see past that. There is just so much talk on the subject on these forums. Are vegans perceived as some sort of threat?

One of the biggest problems is the deliberate peddling of misinformation in order to further their ideological agenda. Even as a vegetarian I had no time for a lot of vegan/vegetarian organisations because of this issue.

You don’t have to go that far, they can get pretty aggresssive up here in your neighbor to the north, Oregon; no surprise since we’re the second most vegan-friendly state in the US, apparently. Apart from threatening and protesting restaurants that serve meat, I’ve also encountered vegans who: call meat-eaters murderers; say there’s no difference between women and pigs; co-op imagery from the Holocaust and American slavery and say meat-eating is no different; blaming meat-eaters for ruining the environment; on top of their ableism that “everyone can be a Vegan.”

Veganism is first and foremost a political movement, not just a diet.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #100

Good god! Okay - I’ve been living under a rock. I’m not the ideological sort, so turning food into an ideology seems pretty foreign to me.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #101

I personally never caught any crap for eating low carb and I worked in the companion animal business for 15 years. Even the two gals who were vegan knew it was their choice and didn’t comment. I think you have to consider how the internet turns normal, nice people in person into idiots on the net. And yes, there are handfuls of in person protests, but I can honestly say I’ve never heard of any of that happening in my neck of the woods.

(Jane) #102

And since it is a political agenda only the nuts get the publicity and some may be paid shills and trolls.

My Dad’s gf is vegan and gluten-free but she is sweet and never pushes her diet choices on others or criticizes your choices.

It’s called the GIFT: the Greater Internet [spoiler]Fuckwad[/spoiler] Theory. I don’t think it turns people mean, I just think anonymity and potential lack of consequence brings out the real person.

I’ve known plenty like that too :slightly_smiling_face: but the ones that do all the shouting do the cause of animal welfare more harm than good. Don’t even get me started on the consequences of their lies about nutritional needs. There is a woman on Youtube (Unnatural Vegan) who is fighting an uphill battle to try & stop the spread of the worst advice & even though she herself is a vegan she constantly gets attacked by other vegans.