The fasting Science thread

(Jason) #1

I’m still kind of surprised there isn’t a fasting section (separate from zornfast), perhaps under health. In the meantime use this board to post your fasting Science.

“In the first evidence of a natural intervention triggering stem cell-based regeneration of an organ or system, a study in the June 5 issue of the Cell Press journal Cell Stem Cell shows that cycles of prolonged fasting not only protect against immune system damage – a major side effect of chemotherapy – but also induce immune system regeneration, shifting stem cells from a dormant state to a state of self-renewal.”
mouse study

Continuing education on fasting

Dr Stephen Phinney in his low carb down under Q&A session, here , is at odds with Dr Jason Fung on fasting. The fasting section starts at 43mins, it’s so disappointing when such keto/ LCHF greats appear to have opposite conclusions.

(Sondra Rose) #3

Have you read @richard’s great blog post on this topic?

(Jacquie) #5

@Robert. This can be frustrating for folks like us but I think this is the how science moves ahead, imo. Questioning and disagreement and then some new nugget emerges (from well documented studies)…again and again.

I watched this yesterday. Yeah, I agree…especially since I am currently doing an extended water fast!

I really liked this article thanks for posting.

Very interesting points you raise and I would agree Phinney and Fung are not in the same league.

The part which got me was 're-feeding statement by Dr Phinney. Although it would appear no clinical trials I think if Dr Fung was killing his patients he would stop. Dr Phinney could be talking at the extended end of fasting but it doesn’t appear so from the video.