The Eskimo Myth?

No I’m posting an article from the HuffPo that links to a study, which you have ignored. That’s a classic ad hominem. Do you have any criticism of the study?

(CharleyD) #22

Indeed.

Who wrote the Huffpo piece is irrelevant

Can it be shown that is the reason for their CAD levels?

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #25

Without reading the whole study, it is impossible to tell if they are talking about inuit on traditional, pre-contact diet, or modern inuit on whatever passes for SAD with the attendant diseases of civilization.

Following the link here: " Heart disease is as frequent — or even more so — among native northern populations as it is for other populations."

Brings us here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2981096/
Background: “state health data show a large proportion of deaths from CVD, despite traditional lifestyles and high omega-3 fatty acid intake. This article explores CVD prevalence and its relation to risk factors in Alaska Eskimos.”

Ok concerning, lets see what more they have to say about tradtional lifestyles contributions to this.

Methods and Results: “Average age was 58 years; diabetes prevalence was low and high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-C) concentrations were high, but a large proportion smoked and had high pathogen burden.”

Hmm interesting. Well the smoking certainly contributes to ill health and cardiovascular problems. But I need more info, lets follow the link to the full article: “Free PMC Article” Brings us here:

Introduction: “Alaska Eskimos, like many other populations, have undergone rapid changes in lifestyle during the past century. In 1975, Dyerberg et al. surveyed Greenland Eskimos,1 found low rates of reported cardiovascular disease (CVD)”

Indeed, how have those lifestyles changed, I wonder?

“Studies in other Inuit groups also suggest high rates of CVD.5,6,7 8,9,10,11 This CVD is occurring despite the substantial proportion of the population maintaining traditional lifestyles”

Hmm, what does “subtantial proportion” mean and what does “maintaining traditional lifestyles” mean I wonder?

Aha! This is what I want: “Dietary information was collected via a food frequency questionnaire (FFQ) that was developed and validated for Alaska Natives.17”

Following the footnote:
“17. Nobmann ED, Ponce R, Mattil C, et al. Dietary intakes vary with age among Eskimo adults of Northwest Alaska in the GOCADAN study, 2000-2003. J Nutr. 2005 Apr;135(4):856–62. [PubMed]”

Following the link to the article:

Abstract: “Store-bought foods were the main sources of energy, carbohydrate, fat, saturated fat, and fiber for all adults.”

Hmm that doesn’t sound very traditional…

“Based on their nutrient density and potential to inhibit CVD, continued consumption of traditional foods is recommended.”

Oh really?

So that’s as far as I can go, I can’t see any more of the information. Maybe someone else has access?

Looks like the study got the exact opposite interpretation as to what this buzzfeed article is claiming?

(Adam Kirby) #27

The study is weak AF if it’s drawing conclusions about meat and fat in a diet full of grain and sugar. See how that works? It’s the only way vegans operate - epidemiological nonsense.

(Adam Kirby) #28

Are you telling me a vegan evangelist misrepresented the facts???

(bulkbiker) #29

Of course it isn’t… Barnard is a well know vegan activist who writes all sorts of rubbish that has been debunked many times both here and elsewhere even by other vegans…

(Adam Kirby) #30

Oh but it’s highly relevant, if the author is a vegan advocate known for completely butchering facts.

(TJ Borden) #31

A study done during the 70’s, well after the populations had adopted a westernized diet. They were measuring people that were eating refined sugars AND traditional food. It wasn’t isolated to those ONLY eating traditional foods, so the data doesn’t really support anything. Even if they came out and said they were healthier, it still isn’t good science.

It stands to reason that communities of people that have been introduced to our current industrialized diet are super sick right away because they’ve had no time to adapt. Look at the Native American/First Nation populations of North America and the Aboriginal populations of Australia.

Many of us from European decent have had many generations to slowly adapt (to an extent) to our worsening diet.

Where does it say that?

You’re not understanding.

The HuffPO article is just a link to the actual journal article. It is irrelevant otherwise as is the author.

Don’t you get this?

(Adam Kirby) #34

Well it appears that the full text is behind a paywall, so we have only the vegan advocate Neal Barnard to draw conclusions for us. Hmmm. :thinking:

(Karl) #35

https://www.amazon.com/Get-Healthy-Vegan-Cookbook-Jump-Start/dp/0738213586

So does this guy have a vegan agenda right off the bat? I mean, he wrote a cookbook on the subject…

(TJ Borden) #36

Okay, just to satisfy curiosity, let’s all pitch in $3…

Ah, never mind. That money could go towards pork belly instead.

(TJ Borden) #37

Haven’t you heard not to judge a book by its cover…or title… or content. :grin:

(Adam Kirby) #38

He is a member of the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (lol), a vegan advocacy group.

(Karl) #39

STOOOP! You’re giving me confirmation bias! :joy:

(TJ Borden) #40

We may have gotten a little off focus here. @jellybelly was just asking a simple question.

So to answer that question; YES!!!