The effects of Capsaicin

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #1

Hopefully this chart can spark some more knowledgeable conversations on the effects of capsaicin on our bodies.

Effects of Capsaicen

This brief overview should make it clear that dietary capsaicin—and, likely to a more limited degree, non-pungent capsiate—has intriguing potential for health promotion. Rodent studies suggest that capsaicin may merit clinical evaluation with respect to endothelial function, progression of atherosclerosis (most notably in diabetics), angina, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, cardiac hypertrophy, metabolic syndrome, hypertension, obesity and gastric ulceration. (See table 1 for a summary of these potential benefits and the mechanisms that may underlie them.) In addition to the many studies assessing capsaicin’s impact on metabolic rate and adiposity, the trial of topical capsaicin in patients with angina, and the studies documenting capsaicin’s gastroprotective effects, represent initial efforts in this regard. A study examining endothelium-dependent vasodilation in diabetics might be particularly useful, as a systemically adequate dose of capsaicin could be expected to have a notably favourable impact on this parameter. Assessment of the dose-dependency of this effect could provide useful insight into capsaicin clinical dosage schedules which could provide systemic metabolic benefits. Both oral and topical application of capsaicin could be tested in this regard. The rodent literature is sufficiently intriguing that serious efforts to evaluate the feasibility of capsaicin administration as a clinical or lifestyle strategy appear to be warranted. However, owing to the fact that TRPV1 receptors are expressed on a wide range of tissues, the possibility that high-dose capsaicin might exert unanticipated or unwanted physiological effects should be borne in mind.

I eat peppers for the flavour and endorphins, but I may start eating more after looking at that list of benefits.

(Bunny) #3

I love Cayenne Pepper & Chili Tepins (second. hottest chili in the world e.g. pepper spray). I eat it almost everyday! Some like it hawt!

Lots of C in anything pepper! :slightly_smiling_face: :hot_pepper:

1. More Than Spice: Capsaicin in Hot Chili Peppers Makes Tumor Cells Commit Suicide https://academic.oup.com/jnci/article/94/17/1263/2519868

2. The Nutrition of Hot Peppers
    https://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/the-nutrition-of-hot-peppers.html

3. 12 Foods With More Vitamin C Than Oranges
    https://www.google.com/amp/amp.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20745689,00.html

(Doug) #4

Rusty, I’ve long heard that “eating hot (peppery) stuff is good for you.” Of course, I was hearing that saturated fats were bad for us and that a lot of “healthy grains” were what we wanted, too.

My dad always liked hot stuff, and we kids ended up the same way. Liberal user of hot sauce here.

(Kristin ) #5

Mmmmmm jalapeño popppppeeeerrrs wrapped in bacon…

Some like their chilis wrapped in bacon and slathered with cheese. #health

(Dustin Cade) #6

I’m curious about this too, prior to Keto I was much more into spicy food, now I’ve gone back to the basics, meat and salt…

(What The Fast?!) #8

Same!

(Central Florida Bob ) #9

The only thing better is when you pop them in the smoker for an hour or so.

I stuff jalapenos with a cheese/sausage mix (usually cream cheese, cheddar and sausage crumbles), wrap in bacon and smoke for a couple of hours.

(make the Homer Simpson drooling sound now - I don’t know how to type it)

Weird, I’ve noticed my tastes have changed, too. I don’t spice things as heavily as I used to and while I used to eat some serious curry I only occasionally use it now.
I’ve told a few people, I don’t know that they believe me, that food justs tastes better eating this way.

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #11

I’ve found this to be very true!

(Randy) #12

I put hot sauce on almost everything!!!

NSV! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

(Randy) #13

(Central Florida Bob ) #14

You got it!

(Sarah ) #15

I dunno, I live in an area where chile is the norm. On everything. I don’t think our disease rates are any different than somewhere with very bland food. But… anything you (impersonal) eat that increases the chances of you thinking about what you’re putting in your mouth, and why, is a good thing. Anything that makes you stop and spend a little time and money on appreciation of actual food, is a good thing. Anything that gets you away from the idea that you can only eat healthy if you buy special products with a special label, is a good thing.

Being on a high fat diet, I find that hot peppers help to add personality to the fatty foods. This is especially true when using pickled peppers.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #17

I crave hot chilis. However, (and I can’t find the info right now) some people apparently have more intestinal receptors than others specific to capaisin. I am one of them. (Which doesn’t stop me). My daughter, son, and husband can pop jalapenos like candy. As I’m clutching my mid-section, feeling like I’m about to give birth, I get the funniest looks - like “what’s up?” I have had the love of chilis and the issues since I was a teen, so it is definitely not an old person who can’t eat spicy food anymore thing.

Check out this recipe for stuffed jalapenos posted by a very cool dude.

Cayenne pepper in iced tea.

(Bunny) #20

Cayenne Pepper Benefits Your Gut, Heart & Beyond

Peppers & Death Risk: Eating The Right Ones Could Help You Live 13% Longer

The Peppers-Death Risk Study Details:

Though spices and hot peppers have been used in foods for thousands of years, only one study before this one, a 2015 study out of China, examined the connection between spicy foods and longevity in humans. That one provided compelling evidence that peppers reduced death from all causes, including cancer, respiratory and cardiovascular diseases.

Because we have pretty different eating habits and different types of foods — including peppers — here in the U.S., the study’s authors decided to test the association between peppers and health right here in America. Would the results hold up?

Scientists used data from the National Health and Nutritional Examination Study, or NHANES, to analyze the eating habits of more than 16,000 Americans. It turns out that respondents who’d eaten at least one hot red chili pepper a month reduced their risk of death by 13 percent, from 33.6 percent to 21.6 percent. …More

Bell Pepper Nutrition Helps You Lose Weight & Fight Serious Disease: Just one of these handy veggies will provide more than twice the daily recommended amount of vitamin C, and three-fourths of your daily needed vitamin A intake.

Note: sugar type is fructose (natural sugar) not sucrose (refined table sugar).

The five domesticated species of chili peppers are as follows:

Capsicum annuum, including bell peppers, wax, chili pepper, jalapeños, cayenne (they forgot to include this one?), and the chiltepin. <== my favorite
Capsicum frutescens, including malagueta, tabasco and Thai peppers, piri piri, and Malawian Kambuzi.
Capsicum chinense, including the hottest peppers such as the naga, habanero, Datil and Scotch bonnet.
Capsicum pubescens, including the South American rocoto peppers.
Capsicum baccatum, including the South American aji peppers. …More