The concept of metabolically healthy obesity

(Sonia A.) #1

I’ve found an article on a German study which is very interesting. It highlights the idea of metabolically healthy obesity and oposes it to metabolically unhealthy lean people. It’s not a concept we usually hear about in a world where obesity is equated with illness. Unfortunately, I didn’t find the study for free.

(Erin Macfarland ) #2

Fat is an organ. Everyone needs fat to live, to support hormones, to protect organs, to enable reproduction. I think we have very messed up ideas that fat on our bodies is inherently bad. Speaking as a person recovering from anorexia, I’ll tell you first hand fat saved my life. It also allowed me to give birth to and nourish two robust children. Fat is not all bad!

(Todd Allen) #3

I have a genetic neuro-muscular wasting disease and the genetic variation results in an impairment of lipogenesis (the ability to grow new fat cells). I had elevated hunger and consumption with very little weight gain for many years. But eventually I developed fatty liver and probably type 2 diabetes although my doctors said I was merely pre-diabetic. I had developed a wide range of health problems I believe were due to a high degree of hyperinsulinemia all of which have improved since going low carb and then keto.

I recently started taking a medication pioglitazone which improves insulin sensitivity by boosting PPAR gamma which promotes lipogenesis. It is improving my biomarkers of metabolic health but also makes me gain weight very fast, ie it is promoting healthy obesity. But I don’t want to be obese so I’m experimenting with only taking the medication when I’m eating and suspending it for fasts. It’s too early to know for certain but I expect I’ll manage long term health with weight stability by fasting for a week every month or so.

(Sonia A.) #4

I’m sorry to hear about your condition. I hope you’ll succeed in improving your health. Fasting is really a marvellous tool for reversing or managing many diseases. It’s a better option than medication, even though sometimes the latter is necessary.

I understand you not wanting to become obese. Even though I am one of those metabolically healthy obese (after reversing T2D), I feel much better after losing 50 lbs and I hope to lose more.

Keep us posted on your progress.

stefan2013.pdf (2.8 MB)
I hope you can see the document. I downloaded the paper from Sci Hub (https://sci-hub.cc/) it is a website similar to the pirate bay but for papers, so everyone can have access to them. It comes from a movement of scientists that are tired of journals not permitting the general public to access their research. Have fun researching!

(Sonia A.) #6

Yes, I can see it. Thank you :blush:.

(Todd Allen) #7

Congrats on your progress. Feel lucky that your health remained sound despite the challenge with weight.

Actually, I’ve been obese. I was in excess of 40% bodyfat a little over a year ago. But I wasn’t heavy because I had so little muscle. I had a dexxa scan about a month ago and was at 29% bodyfat, so still really borderline obese. It’s quite the juggling act trying to balance maintaining health, vigor and weightloss. Eating low carb/keto at least gives me a sense of control instead of being a helpless spectator of what my body is doing.

(Sonia A.) #8

Thank you. You’re right, I’m very lucky. It only took a 13 days water fast to reverse my T2D. Since then, I’ve maintained a low a1c. The weight issue will ultimately resolve itself.

For how long have you gone keto ? Maybe it’s only a question of time to reap more benefits from it.

So the stubborn fat on my thighs is a good thing. I still wish it would go away. :slight_smile:

(Sonia A.) #10

I’m with you on that. Even though I find the concept interesting, in practice I’d feel better with less fat. Losing weight means less joints pain, more well-being for me.

(Meeping up the Science!) #11

Germany is way ahead of us on the lipid disorders in general. Lipedema, for instance, which I’d argue is grossly underdiagnosed here. I’m willing to bet way more women have lipedema here that’s never diagnosed or treated.