The Case for Flax

(Adam Foard) #1

The general consensus of most people I’m acquainted with puts fish as kinda’ gross. Personally I love raw fish (sushi, sashimi, poke, ceviche), and I love fish from a high end restaurant. I’ve never gotten the knack for cooking it, it is less forgiving than beef and bacon, and just doesn’t leave the same house warming smell lingering in my house like pork and beef. Additionally, there is there is the fear of all the lead dioxins etc. in fish.

I stumbled upon flax a few years ago while doing research after my partner (who hated fish) was burnt badly. After the extended hospital stay he had a constellation of issues and I as any good engineer was in problem solver overdrive. One of his issues was the feeling of arthritis in just about ever joint. To summarize the results ¼ cup of flax every day for two weeks knocked all the inflammation out of his joints. I have made flax a regular part of my diet ever since.

Flax is generally mild flavored either as ground seeds or oil. Whole seeds are cheap in bulk, and a $40 burr mill coffee grinder has served me for several years. Added to a smoothie or downed like metamucil are easy delivery methods.

Flax oil needs to be refrigerated, and if it goes rancid it is pretty horrible. An easy adder to the salad in a blender that is my week day spinach smoothie.

ALA content:
Ground flax: 1.6g ALA per TBSP (7g)
Flax oil: 7.3g ALA per TBSP (12g)

As a whole food source of omega-3s this knocks fish out of the park. I don’t want to earn the ire of the carnivore purists. I know there is the official recommendations of fatty fish something like 1 to 3 times per week.

I submit to you the studies below. There has been contention about the limited conversion of ALA into the longer chain EPA and DHA. Basically ALA gets diverted in a few other directions as well as into EPA. I believe the studies listed below do a good (if not overwhelming) job of demonstrating the benefits of ALA consumption. Furthermore, given a sufficient supply of ALA, and neglecting a hereditary defect, the body is fully capable of synthesizing all the long chain omega-3s it needs.

I look forward to your replies.

The Science:

Omega 3 from sources other than avocado or fish
(TJ Borden) #2

AMEN brother. I love fish, but I NEVER cook it at home for exactly the reasons you just said.

(Omar) #3

very interresting

some of the research language is simple for non specialized to grasp.

I have been making flaxseed bread and I can see the improvement on the general health and life style. But I can not make conclusion as what I am doing is not considered scintific or even conclusive.

I was relying on omega3 supplements but I read about the low quality of such supplements.

So I decided to increase the uptake of flaxseeds.

thanks for the articles

(Mitali) #4

I stopped flaxseed because someone told me it thickens the blood, any truth in it?

(Omar) #5

I never heard that.

Actualy some reports talking about the opposite.

people with thin blood ( bleeding is longer than normal ) should not consume flaxseed as it may make the condition worse.

(Mitali) #6

Thanks! I literally went and had some. I keep them roasted, salted, it’s tasty.

(Omar) #7

my wife likes it roasted

I like it as bread
flaxseed bread the most delecious bread

(LeeAnn Brooks) #8

I add a tablespoon of flaxseed meal in my BPC when I have it. Though I don’t have it much since going 2MAD.

Perhaps I should think about ways to add more back in.

do you have a recipe for the bread?

(Omar) #10

sorry OP for drifting the topic slightly. It is still flaxseed :grinning:

2 cups or 14 table spoons of seeds (flaxseed)
1 cup of coconut powder ( not necessary it just whiten the bread and make the color closer to regular bread. sometimes I include sometimes I do not)
3 to 4 table spoon of coconut oil or olives oil.
adding olives oil give the final product a bread taste while coconut oil give it cake or biscuts taste but still bread texture.
one or twotable spoon baking powder
one tea spoon salt
2 teaspoon of stevia or sweetner of your choice. the sweetner is not to make the product sweet but to break the bitter taste which will be there if not adding sweetners.
4 to 6 eggs. I prefer 4 eggs.

half cup of warm water or add water as needed.

mix the solid ingradients alone and the liquid ingradients alone. them nix everything together.

put it in the oven in a tin cake container same as the toast bread.

once you make the first bread you can play with ingradients to improve.

It fills me up very quick with cream chease and use it with hamburgers to replace bread and any other bread application.

in some cases it is difficult to distinguish from regular bread

(Bunny) #11

Fresh Organic Flaxseed :+1:

Freshness vs. rancid oxidation is really important e.g. unprocessed-extra-virgin cod liver oil not exposed to light!

I love fresh organic flaxseed!

Add some organic sulfurs to that from natural sources; makes dietary fats or toxic fatty (bioaccumulates) compounds/substances e.g. insecticides, herbicides, fungicides, roundup weed killers etc. water soluble (fat-soluble-to-water-soluble; better cellular penetration, interaction motility and evacuation) in the body, kind of like bile when it breaks down dietary fat and great for keto!

Reference:
Cancer, Sulfur, Garlic & Glutathione

(Jo) #12

Just make sure you grind them (coarse if you want) because the shells are hard to digest it will only act as undigestible fiber and you won’t get the flax seed oil benefits. For the omega 3 you can obviously also just use the flaxseed oil on salads. Don’t cook with it, it has a low smoke point.

(Calista Longmire) #13

What oven temp and approximately how long? Did you grind the flax seed? Thanks

(TJ Borden) #14

You can counter that effect with alcohol :cocktail:

(Omar) #15

about 150 c for 40 minutes

but to tell you the truth I just wait untill it turn redish

(Joe) #16

Can you use flax meal?

(Omar) #17

I never seen flaxmeal where I live.

the bread is very simple and taste good. Also the recipie can be adjusted with new items to the individual preferance.

(Vincent Hall) #18

Here’s mine.
Posted elswhere on this forum also…
1 cup ground flaxseed.
1 cup hemp heart seeds
3/4 cup coconut flour
Tsp salt
Tbls baking powder,
Tbls sweetener of choice (I use a french stevia/erythritol)
Edit, (forgot to add)
Tbls of sunflower and pumpkin seeds, ground up roughly in mini blender with some of the flax and hemp.
Tsp Spices of your choice.
I also add tsp of axthum gum, which helps hold the bread together on slicing but not stricly required.

6 med eggs
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup of oil (I use coconut)
Dash of lemon or ACV in with eggs, oil & water when whisking.

Mix dry ingredients.
Whisk wet ingredients untill as foamy as possible.
Pour wet into dry.
Fold until dry is fully incorporated into wet, leave for 3 minutes to allow absorption of wet into dry.
Line a standard loaf tin with parchment paper.
Pour, scoop your mix in and level it out.
Pop in the oven at 350f, 180c, 160c Fan for 30 to 60 mins untill browned.
It’s definitely not dry.
I cut lnt 3 pieces and bag and freeze them, Ive had em frozen for three or four weeks with no problems, Im sure they last longer.
In the fridge it’ll last a week easy, I tend to slice and toast, but eat it as untoasted as well, with liver pate, cream or cottage cheese.
Toasted chedder, etc.
I’ve always preferred seedy wholewheat rustic type breads, so this suits me. It may not suit someone looking for a white slice substitute.

Also, I make a porridge with equal anounts 20grms of flaxseed meal, hemp heart seeds, and oats. Im not strict keto right now so the carbs in the small amount of oats a couple times a week I’m not bothered about. Add a few raisons or blueberries, bit of Stevia and it’s perfect for me.

\v/

(Omar) #19

sorry I forgot to mention the grounding.

actualy flaxseed without grounding has little nutrition value. also they should be consumed after grounding.

do not ground and store.