The Carbohydrate-Insulin Model of Obesity

(Adam Kirby) #41

There’s another probable cause - maxing out your acipocytes. Fat then gets stored anywhere the body can shove it, in and around the organs. This also jibes with the skinny fat phenotype since they have a low personal fat threshold. IMO in this case it’s less about carbs by themselves and more the carb+fat double whammy.

(Adam Kirby) #42

Bingo, this is the true obesigenic combo, particularly when the fat is seed oil and the carbs are refined. The CIH is a good start for most people but definitely limited. There is a bigger unifying theory that encompasses the carb+fat combo, nutrient density, industrial “foods”, and the personal fat threshold.

(Nicole) #43

Ted Naimen seems to disagree with the CIH in that when insulin is high from eating a fair bit of carbs, it’s not so much the carbs that is being stored as fat, but the dietary fat is being stored as fat. The potatoes with a big dollop of butter and sour cream will contribute to weight gain due to a caloric excess, and because the potato primed the body to store the butter and sour cream as fat.

I could be way off, but that is my understanding of Naimen’s thoughts.

(Alec) #44

This annoys me every time I read it. This unscientific direction taken by Keys is the source of pain and early death amongst millions. I think ultimately (when we get these dietary guidelines finally sorted) history will view Keys extremely badly.

(karen) #45

I don’t think he decided it was irrelevant at all. He was in direct competition with John Yudkin, who was promoting a sugar-heart disease connection. I think he intentionally buried a very promising can of worms that supported his competitor’s hypothesis, and I have no problem with history burying him in blame.