The Carbohydrate-Insulin Model of Obesity

(Karen) #2

Good read

K

@Wishbone - FANTASTIC ARTICLE!!!

Goes beyond Fung’s insulin-central-to-obesity to peel an additional layer of the onion: higher insulin leads to more calories consumed being shunted to fat cells, which reduces calories available for energy, which increases the “calorie deficit” for a given calorie consumption, which leads to increased hunger and reduced metabolism.

Checkmate. The pieces are falling into place.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

Well! It’s about bloody time someone read Taubes, Ludwig, Lustig, Yalow, Berson, Attia, Phinney, Volek, Enig, Yudkin, Mann, Teicholz, Harcombe, Westman, Sikaris, et al.!

David Ludwig wrote the article :slight_smile:

(Alec) #6

Who?

(Alec) #7

“As of 2003 to 2006, the top 3 food sources of energy for US adults were breads and rolls; cakes, cookies, quick bread, pastry and pie; and sugary beverages.”

I wonder what the problem could possibly be…

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8

Stop! You’re making me snort coffee out my nose! :coffee:

IMHO, a “keto” diet is too rigorous to be sustainable over the long haul for the vast majority of the population, however much they might benefit from it. This article suggests a Primal (or relaxed Paleo) diet. Its still quite the journey, but it sounds like a reasonable target to push towards from a societal perspective.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #10

Good! All the more bacon for us then . . . . :+1:

(Rocky B) #11

I did what I think would be called a relaxed Paleo put forth by Dr. Mark Hyman in his book “Eat Fat, Get Thin”. That was before I came to keto. I felt great and experienced increased energy eating that way but never lost any pounds beyond the initial water weight due to the higher carb load.

If and when I get to where I want to be health and weight wise, I may return to that diet just for the extra variety.

There is no doubt in my mind that maintaining a state of ketosis is the most efficient way to fix metabolic derangement. There are many people who cannot get to where they want/need to be in its absence. Bacon Makes My Pants Fall Off vlogger has a video explaining his battle with to this issue.

Maybe. I would have said that about myself. However, once I became “fat adapted”, I no longer had the constant hunger that always ended my other “diets” with binge eating.

I used to have a mental checklist of foods that I didn’t like (e.g. coffee, peanut butter). If they were on a menu, I barely even noticed them. Now, things like bread and pasta and whatnot are simply on that list. I may see them on the menu, but they don’t register as something I want to order, any more than that foods that I don’t think taste good, and I scan right over them without even giving them consideration.

For me, because of medications I take, alcohol is on that list as well. If I had allergies, they’d be on that list as well. Hopefully, nobody with a nut allergy would say, “Oh, that looks good. I’ll just have a little bit.”

(Alec) #14

I don’t buy that. What exactly is being restricted? Bread, pasta, rice, potatoes (none of which really taste any good unless you combine them with fat), sugar (well, everyone agrees sugar is bad don’t they?), and the only things that are vaguely restrictive are the non-berry fruits and the below ground veg. The quality and variety of food that is good for you on a keto diet is MUCH wider than on HCLF.

If you set up some research and asked people whether they would prefer to eat pasta or bacon, I know what the result would be.

You’re joking, right?
An entire macronutrient is minimized on a LC diet. Encompassing several food groups including fruits, legumes, and even some vegetables.

Efficacy doesn’t matter if people can’t do it. Any clinician could share their frustration over patient compliance. Dr Fung resorted to fasting because he couldn’t get his patients to follow a HFLC diet.

The folks on this forum are the exception, not the rule. If you doubt what I’m saying, just ask your co-workers what they think about your way of eating.

Pasta vs bacon? The winner is carbonara

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #16

The difference is that most of us are not able to handle the carbohydrate load, especially as recommended by our governments’ dietary guidelines. Since the daily requirement for carbohydrate intake is 0 grams, and since too high a level of glucose is a metabolic emergency that must be dealt with on a priority basis, and since the elevated insulin levels that result are known to have damaging effects on the body, and since beta-hydroxybutyrate (a ketone body produced only when carb intake is consistently low) is a known promoter of the body’s anti-oxidant defenses—well, I’m sure you can tell where I’m going with this.

Same here. KETO is normal to me now. I don’t crave junk anymore. FREEDOM!

(TJ Borden) #18

So true… so butter HAS actually been the problem all along. Without it, we never would have eaten any of that shit.

(Todd Allen) #19

And here comes the backlash/criticism…

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/2686143

(Todd Allen) #20

A 20 g carb limit is hard to sustain but is it really needed? Many are in ketosis at 50 g, some at 100 g or more which makes it hugely less limiting. It is unclear how strict one needs to be and for how long. Perhaps periods of high ketones from fasting or strict carb restriction mixed with periods of carb moderation, say 100 g / day, might net most people a good % of the benefits of a sustained strict keto.