The association between consumption of monounsaturated fats from animal- v. plant-based foods and the risk of type 2 diabetes: a prospective nationwide cohort study

mufa

(Todd Allen) #1

Zhuang P, Zhang Y, Mao L, Wang L, Wu F, Cheng L, Jiao J.
Br J Nutr. 2020 Feb 27:1-10. doi: 10.1017/S0007114520000677. Online ahead of print.
PMID: 32102700
https://sci-hub.tw/10.1017/S0007114520000677
Abstract
Although higher dietary intake of MUFA has been shown to improve glycaemic control and lipid profiles, whether MUFA consumption from different sources is linked to the development of type 2 diabetes (T2D) remains unclear. We aimed to prospectively assess the associations of plant-derived MUFA (P-MUFA) and animal-derived MUFA (A-MUFA) intakes with T2D risk in a nationwide oriental cohort. Overall, 15 022 Chinese adults, aged ≥20 years, from the China Health and Nutrition Survey (CHNS 1997-2011) were prospectively followed up for a median of 14 years. Consumption of MUFA from plant and animal sources was assessed using 3-d 24-h recalls in each survey, and the cumulative average of intake was calculated. Multivariable-adjusted Cox models were constructed to estimate the hazard ratios (HR) of T2D according to quartiles of MUFA intake. P-MUFA were mainly consumed from cooked vegetable oils, fried bread sticks and rice, while A-MUFA were mainly consumed from pork, lard and eggs. Intake of P-MUFA was associated with a higher risk of T2D (HRQ4 v. Q1 1·50 (95 % CI 1·18, 1·90); Ptrend = 0·0013), whereas A-MUFA showed no significant association (HRQ4 v. Q1 0·84 (95 % CI 0·59, 1·20); Ptrend = 0·30). When further considering the cooking method of food sources, consumption of P-MUFA from fried foods was positively associated with T2D risk (HRQ4 v. Q1 1·60 (95 % CI 1·26, 2·02); Ptrend = 0·0006), whereas non-fried P-MUFA were not associated. Intake of MUFA from fried plant-based foods may elevate T2D risk among the Chinese population.

(Todd Allen) #2

I suspect the seed oil PUFAs are the bigger problem but still it is good to see a study exonerating animal fats.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #3

The discussion posits that A-MUFAs are more stable due to the presence of more SFAs. Whereas P-MUFAs are less stable and more prone to deleterious oxidation. The sole exception was olive oil which is not much used in China and not at all for frying. Thanks for the link.

Seems bias to me and I’m not defending vegetable oils. Heating oils at high temperature does lead to fatty acids breaking down into inflammatory lipid peroxides. It isn’t surprising.
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipid_peroxidation)

I also see how most people, even on this forum, cook their meat and burn it which leads to the production of heterocyclic amines and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and advances glycation end products.

2 wrongs don’t make a right.

(Bunny) #5

Saturated plant fats (sterols) for cooking are interesting:

Red Palm Fruit Oil vs. Palm Kernel Oil:

”…Regarded as a sacred healing food by many civilizations, including the ancient Egyptians, crude or virgin red palm fruit oil should be regarded as one of the most nutritious edible oils in the world. It is not to be confused with palm kernel oil. It is derived from the fruit of the oil palm tree (Elaeis guineensi) and is referred to as “red palm oil” because of its rich dark red color in its unprocessed natural state. Palm kernel oil is derived from the seed or the kernel.

Palm fruit oil contains mainly palmitic and oleic acids and is about 50% saturated, while palm kernel oil contains mainly lauric acid and is more than 89% saturated. The general assumption that kernel oil and palm fruit oil are one in the same may have lead to one of the greatest oversights in modern nutrition. The stigma attached to the kernel has kept the fruit in the dark - at least until now. Virgin organic sustainable red palm fruit oil is otherwise a bona fide food.

Palm kernel oil does not convey the same health benefits that red palm fruit oil does. The health benefits are only achieved due to the red color of the palm fruit oil that is attributed to its high content of carotenes, which include beta-carotene and lycopene. These powerhouse antioxidant nutrients are the same ones that give tomatoes and carrots and other fruits and vegetables their rich red and orange colors. What may shock you is that red palm fruit oil contains more that tomatoes or carrots. Red palm fruit oil is also densely packed with numerous tocotrienols – a powerful form of vitamin E.

Processed palm oil does not contain cholesterol and behaves like hydrogenated fats (the dangerous trans-fatty acids) in packaged foods since it has “thickness” at room temperature. This makes it ideal for many food manufacturers to use in place of hydrogenated oils in their snack products. Processed foods can then be advertised as being “trans fat free” and "cholesterol free”. But, when red palm oil is refined and processed, the red color disappears and its nutritional and healing benefits are destroyed. Once it becomes part of a processed snack food, it no longer features the health benefits and powerful antioxidants found only in the raw palm oil. …” …More

When I think about Palm Trees; taken in its raw form could reverse Alzheimer’s?

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #6

Red palm oil also has a strong and characteristic taste that complements some foods and not others. My favorite combo is with grreen olives. It also tends to be expensive, but if you can find an African market or a general market that caters to an African immigrant clientele, you can often find it much cheaper than in the healthfood stores or Whole Foods. For example, here in Vancouver is an African market that sells red palm oil in 4-liter jugs at about twice the price as local health food stores for 1/2 a liter (500 grams). Although I eat lots of it, I don’t cook/fry with it, since the few things I cook wouldn’t complement. That’s only me, though. The proprietor of the African market where I buy it, who is from Ghana, says Africans use if for cooking extensively and was somewhat surprised when I told him I eat it raw.