The art of making flaxseed bread

(Omar) #1

Do not roast it.
Do not overheat it
Do not make it too thick as the heat can not penetrate to the core of a large chunk. maximum 2 or 3 centimeter thick. If you make it large chunks, then after 30 minutes in the oven remove it and slice it to make the heat reach the core and return it back to the oven another 30 minutes.

by roasting I mean do not make the flaxseed exposed direct to the heat source. If you do , it will smell like fish and turn to bitter taste. maybe because of the high omega 3 contents.

keep the oven at 220 degrees Celsius. I am not sure about the 220 but this is what I set the oven at in my electrical oven. The bottom line is as low heat as practical.

if you get a bitter taste or any fish like smell, then you either have over heated or roasted the flaxseed.

you will find so many recipes in the net. all not required.

Only flaxseed and water.

you can add coconut oil or olives oil and eggs. but you will get a good bread with flaxseed and water only.

for each cup I add half spoon of cinnamon and half spoon of ginger and half spoon of garlic mixed together to hide the remaining bitter taste of the omega 3.

I do not recommend using Stevia but it help hide the bitter taste as well.

Recipe please?

(Omar) #3

1- Tow cups of grounded flaxseed
2-One table spoon of coconut oil
3-one tea spoon of stevia (optional )
4-One egg
5-Tow tea spoon cinnamon powder
6-Two tea spoon ginger powder
7-one tea spoon garlic powder

procedure
1-mix everything together except the flaxseed powder.
2-Turn the oven on as low as practical. Heating coil should not be red. In my case it reads 220 degrees C. I am not sure about my oven reading.
3-Mix the flaxseed powder with the pre-mixed components.
4-Whatever shape you like to form with the paste, do not make it too thick. If you Do, remove the bread from the oven after 30 minutes and slice it so the heat can penetrate inside the bread
5-keep it for one hour

As mentioned above do not overheat, do not expose directly to the heat coil, and do not make large chunks.

(Michel Labelle) #4

Just wanted to say thanks. Tried this with dinner tonight and really enjoyed it.

For those that are wondering, we did the microwave variant (90-120 sec depending on your microwave).

For most of these, let your dish rest 2 minutes before cooking to let your baking powder do its thing.

Very similar to corn bread in terms of texture. Will try with jalapeños and cheese on top next time.

Delilsh and only 1 net carb.

(Omar) #5

I am not sure what to do to make the bread raise

1-add more water
2Add baking powder (I do not tolerate the taste of baking powder very well )
3-more eggs

I will try the water and the eggs in the microwave and see the result for raising.

(Michel Labelle) #6

The idea is to introduce air to the mixture. That is what the baking powder does, it foams and creates trapped air (co2) bubbles. These expand as you warm/cook the dish.

You could try the cloud bread approach.

Basically, separate the egg white and yoke. Mix the egg yoke with the other ingredients. Separately whip the egg white with a bit of cream of tartar to make stiff egg whites. Then gently fold this in with the other mixture just before cooking.