The 5 Best Exercises at the Gym, According to Personal Trainers

(KetoQ) #1

(Allie) #2

Burpees are the invention of the devil. At least they would be if I believed in that kind of thing.

If you want scientifically backed safe and effective exercises I’d look into Dr. Doug Mcguff’s “Big 5 workout”. You can find him on a ton of podcasts or get his book “Body by Science”. The gist: cardio is pointless, don’t do exercises that will get you injured, and focus on high intensity with low volume and frequency. His big 5 done in super-slow rapid fatigue fashion are: chest press, seated row, overhead press, pulldown, and leg press. No jumping or running around. It sounds crazy but he will eloquently explain why “cardio” is a failed concept, and why high intensity training is one of the best things you can do for overall health. Other experts on the concept include: Simon Shawcross, Ted Naiman, Lawrence Neal, Fred Hahn, and many others.

If you want to hear a dissection of why Crossfit type exercises are a bad idea for many people you can listen to the 15 minute corporate warrior podcast where various guests address the issue. The criticism is mostly injury related. Olympic lifts were never meant to be done in rapid succession to failure. You also don’t want this to happen:

(KetoQ) #4

Thanks, Rian. Will definitely look up the McGuff info. I’m making a transition from steady state cardio to more weight training as well as HIIT on my bike.

Crossfit is not for me. I’m in my mid 50’s and it’s too easy to pull a muscle or injure myself. More power to the peeps that love it.

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #5

Burpees are dangerous and stupid. Just like running, I might add :wink:

This has been my regimen for the last few months. I’ve noticed very little downside to losing the cardio and just replacing it with the Big Five workout. My fat gain over the last 7 months has been mostly, imho, due to eating habits, not exercise regimen.

One side note: I’ve gotten stronger, but I don’t think I’ve put on a substantial amount of muscle.

That was the worst form for a “pull-up” I’ve ever seen. I see huge asymmetric risk to most of these kinds of exercises – not just crossfit, but also running and even cycling. I hurt myself pretty bad 3 months ago on a bike-only bike path while cycling. It wasn’t my fault, but doing cardio is dangerous even in the gym; out in the world it’s a great way to seriously injure yourself.

(Jessica) #6

I do:
squat
deadlift
vertical press/pull (overhead press, pulldown)
horizontal press/pull (pushup, inverted rows)
I make one category unilateral every week

It doesn’t need to be complicated or long. Low reps, as heavy as you can do them with good form, progressive.

McGuff does praise the people who love crossfit for their drive to “do really hard things”. He just thinks the injuries outweigh the gains. I say good for them, but for my goals I can get there in a safer, less time consuming manner. I think of it this way, treat cardio as a hobby not an exercise plan. If you love biking then do it, just don’t do it solely for the sake of aerobic exercise.

I had a friend miss on a box jump and scrape all the meat off of his shin, it was a damn long time before he was the same after that.

(Casey Crisler) #8

I used to do Orange Theory. I’d like to start back up and just ignore the burning calories emphasis. It’s HIIT with cardio and lifting. But it’s not CrossFit crazy. :wink:

(KetoQ) #9

I enjoy long walks, but don’t always have the time. I’m incorporating the HIIT biking for a few strategic reasons:

1. Studies show impressive after burn of calories from HIIT training.
  2. You can generate HIIT benefits with workouts as short as 10-15 minutes.
  3. I just bought a bike trainer that I can hook up to my bike for the winter months.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #10

You crack me up.:joy:

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #11

Really appreciate you posting this, thank you!