The 3 variables to weight loss/gain

(Bill C) #61

Another recent article I thought was particularly interesting was put out by Stanford’s John Iaonnidis on nutritional studies.

From the article (and I really think this is key to better understanding):

“randomized trials with direct observation of participants in experimental in-house settings”

(TJ Borden) #62

I gotta hand it to you @gitanacv. I’m speechless, and that’s no easy feat. Your explanation is so redicilous that I have no response. The idea that weight loss depends on taking a dump that day…, that you acknowledge our metabolism can change, but it’s based on activity level and has nothing to do with what we eat…, that you claim to be so rooted in science and fact, yet the best you can come up with for an explanation is what you “suspect”…, that you believe hormones are irrelevant, when insulin is what drives metabolic disease…

Okay… not quite speechless.

(Bill C) #63

Do you kind of hangout on the forums looking for ways to get into arguments? Hell, any time I post anything you are there to give your two cents within minutes. Go bug someone else, gadfly.

You speechless? That is your raison d’ etre.

(TJ Borden) #64

It’s a forum…you’re more than welcome to do the same. Actually I don’t hang out on it all the time, but I get alerts when someone replies to me. If you want to set that up, I’m sure there’s a thread here that can walk you through it.

Slow. Clap.

BRAVA

:sparkling_heart: :sunflower: :rose: :herb: :sparkling_heart:

Aww - thank you, Mary! :blush:

(Jane) #67

I am an engineer, not a doctor so all I have is my n=2, me and my husband. Two extremes.

Before we moved to Arkansas 2 years ago he ate double cheeseburgers and fries 4 days a week for lunch. Ate pretty much whatever he wanted to. Popcorn and ice cream at night. Not much of a drinker but had a beer every night at bed time. Over 50 years old. Took early retirement from a teaching job and did not exercise. Was maaaaybe 10 pounds overweight. Normal cholesterol. No T2D.

I literally ate half the calories he did, was more active at work and outweighed him even though I was 6” shorter so much more overweight than him.

CICO, my ass! Something wasn’t being measured because based on the number of stairs I climbed and how much I bicycled around the plant while he stayed home and did laundry I burned way more calories than he did. But I didn’t, obviously.

(bulkbiker) #68

Its called a conversation/discussion/maybe even argument and is something that reasonable people engage in when they have a difference of opinion so that a thread doesn’t simply become one person’s diatribe.
More to the point you have dismissed evidence above as being “not from a doctor” and I asked if you were? A question so far left unanswered. So are you a doctor that we should believe your evidence over everyone else’s or not?

(Bill C) #69

Mark, it is not my evidence. I am merely gathering facts as I go through this process. Janie’s statement that she was carefully monitoring what she ate, in fact, eating less, but was still gaining weight or at least not losing weight did not seem logical to me. Logic would tell you that, yes, we can all become frustrated when we fail to see meaningful results when we have cut calorie intake, but if we continue to workout, burn calories and consume fewer calories, you are going to lose weight. She went on to say she did not measure any intake. She just knew she was eating less and now she can eat more and lose weight. I believe, and I could be wrong, that if one continues to workout (burn calories) and reduce caloric intake REGARDLESS OF THE MACRO SET you will lose weight over time. Yes, it is known that the body adapts to fewer calories and will stop losing weight, at the rate one initially loses weight BUT if one sticks with it and KNOWS what is going into their body and MONITORS how many calories are being burned OVER TIME you will lose the weight. I think most people, understandably, get frustrated when not seeing results even when they are following a rigorous path to weight loss. I know I am feeling that now as my weight has stalled for 4 consecutive days. But I am sure that if I keep this up, the workouts and the reduced calories, I will begin losing weight again soon. Apparently plateaus can be moved through but it takes patience and maybe even more effort. All I can do is record what I am experiencing, and maybe it will add to what we collectively learn. For me, reading about something is one thing but until I experience it it is still somewhat abstract.

(Raj Seth) #70

@gitanacv Read “Lies my doctor told me”. Then this blind faith in what doctors tell you may be questioned. Doctors have led us down this path to meteoric rises in Obesity, Diabetes, Alzheimer’s, CVD etc. They want us to believe that their advice was correct, but the work population is at fault for not following it. Humbug.
The fault lies in the advice, not in the billions of people following it

(Bill C) #71

You’re preaching to the choir. The food pyramid is all wrong. I never subscribed to the low fat nonsense. I agree with what Volek and Phinney and many others are espousing. Just because you are a doctor does not mean you are correct, especially because most them do not have the time to delve into the areas we are discussing. In general, I think doctors tend to be more intelligent but that does not mean they know more in this area. Some do, some don’t. I guess what concerns me is so much data that is taken as gospel from many of us who believe the data is wrong are completely rejecting the medical community, believing it to be conspiring against us. We instead turn to “amateurs” “college students” and “doctors” with chiropractic degrees, as replacements. I feel much more comfortable when listening to people like Volek, Phinney and Fung.

(Bill C) #72

(Raj Seth) #73

Science, or the scientific method, is based on making empirical observations, hypothesizing, then collecting evidence for/against said hypothesis

SAD - observation : meteoric rise in chronic diseases
LCHF - observation : healing of chronic diseases

Enough for me

(TJ Borden) #74

Have you heard what Fung has to say about CICO?

(Jane) #75

[quote]She went on to say she did not measure any intake. She just knew she was eating less and now she can eat more and lose weight. I believe, and I could be wrong, that if one continues to workout (burn calories) and reduce caloric intake REGARDLESS OF THE MACRO SET you will lose weight over time.
[/quote]

Where did I say I didn’t track intake? I put everything in MyPlate for 6 months on a dietician controlled CICO diet. I dare say my data is more accurate than food surveys a lot of studies rely on for THEIR data.

I tracked my intake on keto only the first 2 months and then didn’t need to because I was losing steadily. When I stalled I fasted to break my stall.

And my stall on CICO was not days or weeks. It was months so obviously my metabolism has found an equilibrium with my reduced intake and exercise.

Didn’t know the value of fasting or might have tried it in my CICO, but I would have been starving and miserable. LCHF makes fasting much easier.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #76

Let me translate. “I don’t understand the beliefs of others, so I cling to my own beliefs.”

Sounds like religion to me.

(bulkbiker) #77

Don’t you mean Caloric Reduction As Principle or CRAP for short…

https://idmprogram.com/evidence-caloric-restriction/

(Raj Seth) #78

Conventional wisdom does make it appear so. However studies like the women’s health initiative and observation of the current diabesity crisis affecting billions debunks the CRaP hypothesis

(Jane) #79

Interesting n=1 experiment comparing the high fat, high calorie, and vegan WOE’s with around 5000 cal/day for 3 weeks. Make of it what you will.

(TJ Borden) #80

Actually the CICO and religion link makes sense. The blessings you get equal the money you put in…

Sorry, I suppose that’s for a different forum.