The 3 variables to weight loss/gain

(Bill C) #41

Thank you.

(bulkbiker) #42

Bill are you a doctor?

(Raj Seth) #43

Dude. You need to relax. Calling people liars is not a way to try to make your point. I am eating more calories now than I have in 30 years and am losing weight - and yeah, I haven’t been going to the gym daily as I used to pre-keto. If you think I’m making this up - power to you - knock yourself out on the conventional wisdom stonewall

You do understand that CICO is flawed because much though we can pretend to measure CI, it’s the CO part that cannot be easily controlled? Me, and countless others are consuming more calories, and BURNING waaaaaaay more calories just sitting on the couch. This is done by allowing our bodies to accelerate BMR by restoring metabolic harmony, freeing the hormonal balances from the 8 meals a day, carb heavy eating prisons that the SAD had put us in.

I would suggest you do some of the reading suggested in posts above, and learn a little bit about this process before sounding off loudly here and calling people out as liars.

I am not lying about my experience. And it is in direct contradiction to what you claim.

(TJ Borden) #44

Seems to work for politicians. :rofl:

(Raj Seth) #45

Homey don’t do politics

(Bill C) #46

As I said, if you want to provide some facts, by all means. If you want to virtual signal to your homies, go emote somewhere else. Seems many people have too much time on their hands. There are a lot of other forums for catharsis and virtue signalling. If you want to talk food AND BACK IT WITH YOUR FACTS do so. Provide some empirical knowledge. Don’t be lazy and provide a link, especially a link that is a waste of everyone’s time. I never said “liar.” That was an emotional response by someone else who posted earlier when I didn’t agree with what she said and didn’t back it up with facts. Kind of like what you are doing right now. Stop grandstanding.

(Jane) #47

How many different weight loss strategies have you tried and what was most successful for you?

(TJ Borden) #48

You seem to think we have to prove something to you. We already have all the proof we need, because it worked for us. If you want to go do your own thing, go for it. If you think people are lying about it, that’s your problem, not ours.

You never have addressed the questions I’ve asked you. So I’ll ask again. Following your beleif in CICO, how do you explain a stall, and how do you break it?

(Bill C) #49

Thank you, Jane, for your question. I have tried keto and it worked well for me. But being the curious person that I am, in addition to wanting to do what is best for me and my family long-term, I also wanted to see results using a less restrictive carb approach. I am trying to restrict carbs but not to the extent that I did while carefully following keto. To give you an example, I have been consuming roughly 250 calories in carbs on average per day in this latest iteration. But the interesting thing is I have found that even though I am eating 250 calories in carbs, many days my fiber is 100-125 so my NET carbs are 125-150. I realize that is still high for a pure keto approach but it seems to be working for me because I have been staying in ketosis most of the time. The reason I am choosing to use this approach now is because I have read several articles where physicians say keto long-term is not good for you. But I do not rely on doctors alone. I always seek empirical knowledge. My father-in-law is a doctor and I know he does not have the expertise in the area of diet, and he will be the first one to admit it. I think people like Volek and Phinney know a heck of a lot more than most doctors in the diet realm. So far, I have been doing this latest iteration for 14 days and have burned 30,687 more calories than I have consumed. 30,687 divided by 3500 calories equals 8 3/4 pounds. I have lost 8 pounds so far, going from 197 to 189 over that period of time. What I am very curious about is how accurate the outcome will be. So far, somewhere I have about 3/4 of a pound unaccounted for. This could be due to a number of things, which you and I touched on previously. Possibly inaccurate calculation of what a pound equates to (3500 calories). Possibly my body’s metabolism. I’m not sure and don’t know that I will be able to share exactly what the causes are in the end but I will share what happened in my 40 days of calorie restriction, restricting my intake by about 2000 calories a day. My intention has never been to refute the purely keto approach. My skepticism, however, has me wanting to get a better understanding of how it impacts my body anyway and in so doing maybe help others reach their goals. My sense is for many the keto diet, due to its increased levels of fat, more effectively satisfies cravings. It is able to provide satiety. If so, it can be the most effective for those people.

(Bill C) #50

Here is an article from Web MD. I would imagine many people have seen these “types” of articles. It should raise concerns to the point that we should at least experiment a bit and see how your body responds in and out of keto.

(Bill C) #51

Here is another one.

Quoted in the article:

The ketogenic diet can pose long-term health risks because “low-carbohydrate diets tend to result in reduced intake of fiber and fruits, and increased intake of protein from animal sources, cholesterol and saturated fat, all of which are risk factors for mortality” and cardiovascular disease, wrote the authors of the review.

Now, I don’t know who is right but I think for me anyway it is best to be cautious. Refuting the paragraph above, I exceed my fiber requirements usually by 200% per day, eat little animal protein, and I eat a lot of fruit. In this way I am hoping to wed keto with a more balanced approach.

(TJ Borden) #52

Well if Web MD said it, it must be true. Obviously there’s no challenging the website that says a sore throat is probably cancer :rofl:

So I take it you’re just planning on ignoring my questions?

(Bill C) #53

And this from Harvard Medical School:

(TJ Borden) #54

This article has been brought up dozens of times already. This guy is part of a plant based diet group and provides ZERO evidence or studies to back up his “beliefs”.

(TJ Borden) #55

Follow the links in the article and show me where any science was involved. I’ve gone through it before and there isn’t any. It’s from Harvard, and they are well known for doing “studies” to support the agenda of the organization paying for the studies.

(Bill C) #56

So, Jane, I will post the empirical data as I work through the 40 days and we can discuss further.

(TJ Borden) #57

So you believe there’s value in empirical data, but then call people here liars when they relay their own empirical data?

Why are you not willing to answer a couple basic questions about your approach that you say is based on facts and science?

I’m open minded, EDUCATE ME!!!

(Bill C) #58

Sorry, TJ, but I’m not into drama. Because I questioned results based on what was posted is not calling someone a liar. You may wish to categorize it as such but it’s not. If that were the case any time anyone disagreed with someone else, according to you, they would be calling the other person a liar. Questioning how someone arrived at data is not calling them a liar.

(TJ Borden) #59

@Janie shared her experience and your reply to her was:

How is that anything other than calling her a liar? You didn’t question her methods, you said it wasn’t possible.

Set that aside, you still seem resistant to answering a couple basic questions. Why is that?

How do explain a stall with CICO, and how do you break it?

(Bill C) #60

I suspect the reason for a stall in most instances is due to how your body is processing the intake. You may be retaining more water. No bowel movement for a day. Hormones. But I think those are temporary and will prove almost irrelevant over time. It is possible that your body is processing calories faster due to increased activity levels that remain high over a period of time. You hear how metabolisms are faster or slower depending on your daily activities. So, a number of possibilities, most of which would be hard to pinpoint but that’s OK as long as the stall does not last too long.