The 3 variables to weight loss/gain

(Raj Seth) #81

Keto is a religious pursuit for me. Praying :pray: at the temple that is my body. Making offerings of dead fatty animals :+1:

(TJ Borden) #82

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #83

Uggggh. If someone insists on believing CICO, let it go. No need to sling insults or name calling. State your case and move on we don’t have to convince anyone.
But just to make my stance clear, and the ketogenic forums stance clear, and the two keto dudes stance clear… We do not believe in c i c o.

Remember the atmosphere that we’re trying to create in this forum. Let’s discuss things as grown adults and no slinging insults.

(Jane) #84

Having lived most of my life in Houston I decided if I ever set up a small shrine in my house I would make one to Mr. Carrier - the inventor of air conditioning - and make regular offerings

Now I think I would have to have a second one to keto. My offerings could be pink salt and dried meats! :laughing:

(TJ Borden) #85

But it’s a fun hobby to fill all the extra time while fasting. I tried knitting…knot for me. :grin:

(Bill C) #86

I addressed this above, after reading his articles previously.

(Bill C) #87

Speaking of religion, here are some quotes from none other than the “heretic” Galileo Galilei:

“You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him find it within himself.”

“If I were again beginning my studies, I would follow the advice of Plato and start with mathematics.”

“All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them.”

How dare he!

(Bill C) #88

I think I have figured out what is happening to account for the “stalling” in weight loss. Yesterday I swam 2500m and lost 1.6 lbs. Today I swam the same distance and lost 2.4 lbs., nearly a pound difference, with no other variable changes. However, no significant weight change overall. So what appears to be happening is that as your body plateaus it shifts to greater water retention in an attempt to adjust for the rapid water weight loss when a diet is begun. (When you begin any calorie reduction you initially lose primarily water weight.) This is why people lose weight rapidly when they begin a diet. After a week or two (depending on how overweight one is) the water is depleted and the real weight loss begins. This is why your weight loss slows or stalls altogether. But, significantly, you are of course still losing weight, even though at a slower rate, because now you are burning the actual fat and not simply shedding excess water weight. This possibly also explains why I remain in ketosis despite eating high quantities of carbs.

(Edith) #89

I think you are staying in ketosis with higher carbs because of your crazy :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: level of exercise.

(Bill C) #90

Yes, I think you are right. Only plan on doing it to hit target weight. Couldn’t continue it or I would lose too much weight. Also, would be bored to tears.

(Bill C) #91

One other thing I will add for those who are doing a lot of exercise while on a keto diet is to be sure and get enough potassium. When I first did keto and exercised heavily I would get muscle cramps. Not severe but to the point that my foot would cramp towards the latter part of a swim. This is easily solved by using Morton’s Lite Salt on your foods instead of regular table salt. It actually does make the difference. You, of course, can buy specially designed keto electrolyte powders like Ultima but they are very expensive for what you are getting. I still have several containers of Ultima that I don’t even use. But why pay $30 when you can get the same thing for $2?

(Running from stupidity) #92

Well, your lack of working out what to read is very clearly an issue.

As is your constant use of “HFLC.” The REASON it’s referred to as “LCHF” by everyone but you is that it correctly gives priority to the “Low Carb” part of the equation.

(Edith) #93

So @gitanacv, I am going to ask the following questions, but I don’t want you to think I’m being snarky: How old are you? Have you ever been obese? Do you have insulin resistance or type ll diabetes?

I do believe if you are relatively young then CICO will definitely apply. If you answer yes, to the metabolic questions, then CICO may apply over the long run eventually, but hormonal issues are WAY more important at the beginning and probably for many years because of the healing that needs to occur.

I have never been overweight except post pregnancy. I have always watched what I eat and exercised. Four pregnancies and the hormonal changes of perimenopause started causing the weight to creep up even with calorie restriction and exercise. If CICO had continued working for me as I aged I should have been 110 pounds for the last 5 years, maybe even less according to My Fitness Pal.

The only thing CICO did for me as I got older was result in nutrient deficiencies that showed in my fingernail health of all places. Cutting carbs, calories pretty much staying the same, is really what resulted in weight loss and now maintenance.

Women, in particular, who have been watching what they eat their entire adult lives, probably since their teen years, have lowered their BMR due to years of calorie restriction. Frequently, they do need to eat more energy to burn more energy. It needs to be the right kind of energy of course. Eating 1500 calories a day of Starbucks
will not reset a metabolism. Eating those 1500 calories of fat and protein will.

There is a reason n=1 is used so frequently on this forum. Our bodies all tell different stories. Some people have food intolerances that they finally learned they had after starting keto. Once an offending food or foods was removed weight started moving. Some people have health problems that require medications that affect weight loss. This list of body stories could go on and on. Unfortunately, our bodies are so much more complicated than just calories in/ calories out, especially as we get older and accumulate more damage.

As mentioned, it is terrific that you have found what works for you. That is your body’s story. Almost no carbs has worked for many people on this forum. That is their story. Others are still searching and tweaking, healing for now, but maybe not getting weight loss benefits, yet. That is their story.

I like to tell my kids, “Give birth to four children, be 52 years old, and have my genes, and then you can say something about my weight.” Actually, I’ve never had to say that to them, but the quote is ready if I ever need to use it. :wink:

(Bill C) #94
  1. Never been obese. Competed athletically at the college level. Due to genetics and excessive use I had a Birmingham hip resurfacing done to my left hip in 2007. Leading up to that operation, due to the incessant pain, I was getting 2- 3 hours of sleep a night for nearly 3 years, so you can imagine the health impacts. I’m 6’4" and prior to the operation weighed as much as 220 lbs. because it was too painful to be active.

I agree with everything you said. We are all unique. The only point I may differ with you is CICO. Save for those who are dealing with health issues, like you mentioned, I believe, generally speaking, CICO does apply. Not exactly, because our bodies are unique. No question you are going to get variation due to the different states each body is in.

For me, though, at this stage, I am of the belief that macros play less of a role as compared to caloric intake, AS LONG AS CALORIC INTAKE DOES NOT EXCEED BURN RATE.

Like you, I have read and watched many videos on this subject. Unlike many, I do not believe the medical community is conspiratorial in trying to keep us sick and therefore dependent. Big Pharma, yes. The AMA, no. Too many smart, sincere doctors out there who would blow the whistle if they thought this were the case.

The purpose of me sharing the data I am acquiring as I go on this journey is to add to the ever expanding knowledge base. It is not to be judgmental. I want to learn myself. But I find it peculiar and disheartening to have so many proclaim to the exclusion of any other input, that they have found The Holy Grail in a strict keto diet. I think there are aspects of keto that are groundbreaking and positive but I think we are on the threshold of much greater breakthroughs to come. But Volek and Phinney and the other pioneers in this field are on the right track.

(Running from stupidity) #95

Preparation is key.

(Bill C) #96

You are the second one to point this out. Heretical, for sure. Glad you have your priorities straight. Forest for the trees.

(Bill C) #97

Down to 187.8, 2 lbs lower than yesterday morning. Stall broken. 35,331 calories burned to date, down 10 lbs since the start of the “diet.” Not exactly straight line since I did stall for several days but now almost exactly in line with CICO.

(Running from stupidity) #98

Yeah, and I made a completely different point in regards to it, which I guess you missed in your rush to condescend to yet another poster who doesn’t blindly agree with your outdated simplistic dinosaur dogma…

(Jane) #99

For me keto IS the Holy Grail of diets. For the first time in decades I am not hungry all the time, I eat healthier and my weight it normal with very little effort on my part.

I exercise when I want to because I enjoy it, not to burn X calories on the elliptical. I don’t track or count anything anymore. I just rarely eat carbs except for non-starchy vegetables. But I do occasionally.

Why would you find anything I wrote above “peculiar and disheartening”? I don’t care how you choose to eat. But this is a keto forum and I am here for recipes and support. Not to be told my experiences are invalid or wrong. They aren’t wrong for me, personally. I can’t speak for anyone else. YMMV

(Bill C) #100

Glad it’s working for you.