Thank you Coach Allan

(PSackmann) #1

I’ve been listening to some of the 2KD podcasts and recently listened to the one with Coach Allan about fitness and wellness. In it, he recommends adding small bits of exercise to your daily routine, like walking up a floor before taking the elevator. I started parking one floor up so I had to walk down one floor in the morning and up one in the afternoon, also started walking up one flight each morning before taking the elevator. That’s now become easier, so today started walking up two floors before taking the elevator. Easy, no real time taken, and I can feel the difference. Looking forward to eventually walk all six floors each morning without being winded. So, a very big THANK YOU to Coach Allan for the advice!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #2

You’ve inspired me Maryanne. I need to seek incorporate a staircase into my walking routine. They are tough for me as an amputee. I had to take one stair at a time at a heavier weight, always leading with my left leg. I noticed lately at my low current weight step over step is much easier. I need to work that right leg more now that I am at a lower weight. Thanks, great post. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Jane) #3

I travel a lot for my job and usually stay in a Hilton hotel so my points are consolidated into one hotel chain. Their app lets you select your room.

I try to pick one on the top floor (so no elephants walking above me) and at the end of the hall. That is usually where the stairs are and farthest from the elevator so unless I am schlepping luggage I take the stairs.

In Europe people are expected to take the stairs so they are in the open, decorated nicely, etc. In the US our hotel stairs are an afterthought for emergency access only and are ugly, industrial looking and strictly utilitarian.

(PSackmann) #4

I need to remember to do this when I travel as well. It’s just so easy to fall into the habit of elevators, even on a lower floor. Thanks for the inspiration.

Looking for more areas to incorporate stairs…

(PSackmann) #5

You’re a daily inspiration to me @David_Stilley, so this is touching. Thank you!

Stairs have been difficult for me, and I still struggle a bit if I’m carrying something heavy or bulky, trying very hard to roll back the clock a few more years.

(PSackmann) #6

Another tidbit shared on his podcast was to get dressed without sitting down,including your socks. Leaning on the bed or dresser for balance is fine, but do it standing up if possible. So, I challenged myself and have been doing that for several weeks. It is a challenge, as I wear compression knee-high socks during the week, yet a manageable one. And it has become easier as I practice it.

I also do things like leg lifts or balance on one leg in line at the grocery store. Stand in Mountain Pose when I think about it to activate my muscles. Focus on contracting my abs in lines. Balance on one foot while waiting for the copy machine, or the microwave at work. Small things, none of them will give me a gym-bod or make me a beast, yet they’re all working together to enhance my overall fitness. At this stage of my life, that’s more important.