Testing at home for insulin

(Karen) #1

How might I test at home for insulin sensitivity?
Morning fasted BG?
Big pile of sugar and multiple sticks for BG?
I want to Recreate a Kraft assay
Glucose x 6

• Fasting
  • 1/2 hour
  • 1 hour
  • 2 hour
  • 3 hour
  • 4 hour

(Bob M) #2

The only way to test insulin is at a facility. And you need to test both insulin and blood sugar for the Kraft test.

(Karen) #3

Sadly that’s what I thought. I’ve looked online for testing centers to see if I could get a kraft assay. I can’t find anything

(Karen) #4

Much like a shadow suggests the object, wouldn’t a glucose test over time, with a glucose challenge, suggest insulin response? Or close enough?

(Karen) #5

Interesting article
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5708305/

It was suggesting because insulin his Pulsatile that you might need three tests at five minutes apart to find out what the baseline insulin and glucose are during fasting.

I can find an OGTT, but I can’t find a place where I can do the insulin as well on my own without a doctor asking for such testing. I understand it’s also fairly expensive

(Karen) #6

This article indicates a delayed peak in the blood glucose and also insulin might suggest insulin resistance. The graphs are particularly interesting. Well you can test the insulin and it might provide a clearer picture, I’m not convinced that you can’t get some information from testing blood glucose.

(Bob M) #7

If you want Kraft testing, you need to have insulin tested:

I got a two hour OGTT with insulin, so a shortened version of the Kraft test. My doctor (Kate Shanahan, who has written a book on low carb) ordered it. I’m sure no other doctor has heard of it.

(Karen) #8

I go to Kaiser they’re not big on any tests outside what they normally perform. So I have been looking for an independent testing lab that would do this for me. So far no love.

Kaiser doesn’t even do a full thyroid panel.