Test results & ketosis?

(@taliea) #1

**woohoo! Blood test results are in!
I went and met my new doctor yesterday and I have to say I love him! He made sure he went over my entire medical history, made sure I understood things and even joked with me. He said obviously we wanted to work on my weight and health and I let him know I was doing keto with my husband and he didn’t tell me what my other doctor told me or what my previous nutritionist told me. He said if it was working for me continue it. He said I would eventually hit a plateau but to push past it. He went over numbers and telling me to not freak out if I fall off wagon. Just get back up. So it seems that both my husband and my doctors aren’t jumping to the horrible line of “it’s not healthy for you to do keto”. Soooo…onto test results:
Sodium: 142 mEq/L
Potassium: 4.4mEq/L
Fasting glucose: 93mg/dL
Fasting lipid panel: cholesterol 142mg, triglycerides 75, HDL 55mg, LDL 72mg

Seems to be looking pretty good from what I see the ranges are.
My husband picks up his blood meter on Monday to start watching his sugars. We are ending day 6 and he is down almost 13lbs and I’m down 9.4lbs. My question is how will I know I’m in ketosis? I feel great and i was taking the ketone pee strips but am not relying on those because it shows moderate levels and I’m within my numbers and also I’ve been drinking like 17glasses of water so I know I’m hydrated. Should I get a meter? What kind?
Ok thanks again for the help and reading this long ass post.
Oxox

(A ham loving ham! - VA6KD) #2

There are two things I really notice when in strong ketosis. 1) a distinct taste in my mouth. It’s not fruity like others have described and it’s not off or bad either. It’s kinda like a stronger taste like I notice when I wake up in the morning. My wife says she doesn’t notice anything when I ask if I have laser breath. And 2) I get a strange slightly warm tingling feeling in my lower abdomen.

(@taliea) #3

Hmmmm…well I don’t have those signs. Least not yet. Lol

I think the weight loss is a good indication. If you are staying under 20g of carbs, you’re most likely in ketosis.

I have a Nova Max Plus glucose/ketone meter and I check periodically. But, a blood stick with a ketone strip is the best way to tell. Also, many people here swear by the ketosis breath analyzer thing, ketonix or something like that.

(@taliea) #5

Ok thanks

I get the same tingling sensation in my lower abdomen too, and in my obliques, right where my love handles used to be :smiley: I’ve taken it to mean that i’m in fat burning mode.

(A ham loving ham! - VA6KD) #7

[quote=“100PercentPHAT, post:6, topic:9586”]
right where my love handles used to be
[/quote]That’s the one! :smile:

For me, the tingling starts there and extends towards my belly button a few inches.