Test Breath Ketones without a Ketonix (using a cheap breathalyzer)

ketonix
acetone
breath

(m) #325

It’s funny, after I read your message, I tried exactly what you said, holding my breath during the warm up, exhaling a little and breathing out HARD during the final countdown. It worked! Twice in a row!! Then… I couldn’t replicate the result. :stuck_out_tongue: I will keep trying and master the technique! Thanks brownfat/Todd!

(Jim Russell) #326

blood: 0.2 mmol/l
breathalyzer: .05% bac
ketonix: 4.6 ppm

(Cheryl Hall) #327

@Jimbo

I blew a 1.2 just a bit ago on my Greenwon – never had one that High before - I have no idea what that correlates to because I don’t have a Ketonix or blood strips but hey still made me happy. :grinning:

Thanks for posting your stats with the different devices and I’m glad you figured out about the batteries - seemed weird to me that you were getting nothing.

I’ve checked mine against my Sister and 10 year old Great Nephew and they always blow a zero. I hope to be able to get the blood meter soon!

(Jim Russell) #328

I’m a numbers geek, so I enjoy tracking these things. I think I need to go back to tracking my food for a while too. Seems like that may be the key to the correlation between breath and blood ketones. Exercise, too. I’m glad they’re useful and/or interesting for others. :slight_smile:

1.2 is solidly in ketosis. Good job.

(Jim Russell) #329

Blood: 0.2 mmol/l
breathalyzer: .04% bac
ketonix: 8.1 ppm

(Jennifer Fawcett) #330

It’s been a while since I studied the metabolic cycle, but I really wonder at the efficacy of trying to correlate the behavior of the three different ketone bodies. Maybe somebody here with a better memory can tell us the timeline in the cycle when fat is broken down and the process of utilization. FWIW, I notice a definite lag in my ketone readings. After exercise (hard go on the spin bike) there is little to no change, but eight hours later, blood is up, breath is way up, and I am turning the pee sticks black lol. Three different metabolites, three different measurement systems, and all three having separate effects in the body. Jest sayin.

(Jim Russell) #331

Blood: 0.2 mmol/l
breathalyzer: .03% bac
ketonix: 2.6 ppm

(Jim Russell) #332

I was just curious as to whether there was a correlation or not and how close the correlation was, if any. Since I had the 3 methods, I figured I would check.

I would be surprised if there wasn’t a correlation between the breathalyzer and the ketonix, since they’re measuring the same thing.

I would also think that the blood beta hydroxybutarate and breath acetone would be correlated somehow, but if it is, it’s obviously not a direct correlation.

What I have come to realize is that when I am not fasting, my ketones are quite low. I will have to track my food for a while and see how that correlates.

(Solomom A) #333

Blood Ketones is a measure of ketones produced but not used, available to be used when you need it and if you have the metabolic adaptation to do so. Breath (Ketonix, etc) is a measure of ketones being used and is thought to be more accurately inversely related to blood glucose. The urine sticks measure ketones being expelled as waste. You use more ketones as you become more adapted. That is the reason why some loose their urine ketones with time.

I also purchased a breath analyzer last 2 weeks ago and I am so sad that it NEVER displays alcohol - unless I really drank some. So it does work for alcohol, but not for ketones …

I am really sure I am in ketosis, tracking my meals, using urine sticks and doing a lot of sports.
Do you know if there are differences even between the cheap devices? I got the “Oasser Professional Breathalyzer Alcohol Tester Digital LCD Police Breath Semi-conductor Sensor with 4 Mouthpieces” ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oasser-Alcohol-Breathalyzer-Mouthpieces-Semi-conductor/dp/B071NBQG8W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1502174849&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=alcohol+tester&psc=1 )

Do you have some thoughts?

(Anderson Herzogenrath Da Costa) #335

Maybe you got a “good” breathalyzer that knows the different between alcohol and acetone.

(Jim Russell) #336

The breathalyzers the police used are designed not to detect ketones. Otherwise ketonians would be getting arrested for drunk driving.

(Jim Russell) #337

Blood ketones: .04 mmol/l
breathalyzer: .04% bac
ketonix: 4.7 ppm

(Gary Wellman) #338

Hi good people,

I’ve been reading this thread for the last couple of weeks and signed up to the forum today.

I’m very grateful and really impressed by all the info shared here by the community. @Jimbo you’re doing some great stuff posting your results and your eating and fasting patterns, as are you all. Thank you.

I’m just scrolling through eBay looking at the three main meters you’re all discussing and thought I’d seek the advice of everyone here about which one is considered the more efficient.

@brownfat I note that you have three. I’d be really grateful for your wisdom on this please.

Thank you in advance.

(Todd Allen) #339

Start with the cheapest Greenwon. It’s my favorite. Mine doesn’t have the orange backlight and the screen can be hard to see depending on the right amount of ambient light but other than that I find it the most consistent, forgiving/easy to use as the result is least impacted by the timing or way one breathes into it. It is the most sensitive to low levels of ketones but it is also the least sensitive to rising levels of ketones.

I find all of mine useable alone and helpful in combination as they each have their own response curve. While they don’t correlate tightly to blood ketones there is definitely a relationship. I regularly tested using all 3 and wrote down the results and once I got my breathing technique dialed in for each get fairly consistent but different results for each at any level of ketosis.

I used my last 8 blood ketone strips to explore the relationship between the meters and my blood ketones. Now I could use any of the meters and have a fair estimate of my degree of ketosis. I could likely tighten up that relationship by using more blood strips but they are pretty pricey and I am quite comfortable just tracking with the meters now. I suppose if one or more of them start whacking out I might get a few more blood strips to “re-calibrate” with new meter(s).

(Gary Wellman) #340

@brownfat

Many many thanks for your response I am really grateful for this.

A greenwon version is now on its way to me and I’ll be posting up my ongoing results and looking forward to contributing to the thread

(T) #341

I got this one when visiting the UK last month on Amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073GG16D9?psc=1

I found the numbers comparable to the numbers in my weekly blood ketone results with mg/L - I think…

It gives three results e.g. 0.050%BAC or 0.500‰BAC or 0.250mg/L,

It lets me know if I’m in ketosis during the week, and I am a bit obsessive at the moment about numbers. Well, have been for the last five months…

(Lee Jones) #342

I have the cheap and cheerful Greenwon, cost me £2.40 delivered off EBay. It doesn’t have the fancy orange backlight but does the job for me.

I overdid things at the weekend and Monday morning was showing 0.00 bac whereas after watching my macros from Monday morning it was 0.01 yesterday and 0.02 just now.

(Jim Russell) #343

Feeling a little sick today. Allergies plus maybe a head cold on top. Ugh.

blood: .3 mmol/l
breathalyzer: .03% bac
ketonix: 3.7 ppm

I have been so intrigued by this that I have purchased a couple of cheap eBay breathalysers (Australia). So the AT6000, when using for six seconds of the end of my breath will show 0.07%BAC. While the cheap greenwon look-a-like will measure 0.00%BAC occasionally 0.01%BAC. When tested at the same time. I am not sure if I have worked out my technique on the keychain small one yet.
Just thought I’d share as the AT6000 seems to measure high while the other low.